Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

CTDs every flight

24 hours ago all was fine, but suddenly every flight I (try to) make ends with a CTD. The CTD comes before I push back, as I am preparing the aircraft for departure. This is at different airports with different planes...

I wonder if the reports from Event Viewer, below, give any clues? I don't think I have added anything new, but before I start removing stuff at random, if the information below narrows down the problem at all, that would be a great help.

Windows 7 x64 BTW...

Thanks

Faulting application name: FS9.EXE, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000a0d
Faulting process id: 0x88c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d194cc060f356b
Faulting application path: D:\FS9\FS9.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: c1bf3089-00c0-11e6-a210-7824af3de903

Faulting application name: FS9.EXE, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x75194f5d
Faulting process id: 0xf94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d194c17fe2dfa5
Report Id: d9fa9b4a-00bc-11e6-a1ab-7824af3de903

Faulting module name: D3D9.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ee53333
Fault offset: 0x0000777e
Faulting process id: 0x718
Faulting application start time: 0x01d194bafa301cfa
Faulting module path: D:\FS9\D3D9.DLL
Report Id: 0d82d474-00b0-11e6-9bb5-7824af3de903

Fault offset: 0x6e6f2072
Faulting process id: 0x171c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d194b765b0cbe4
Report Id: eed7bd93-00ad-11e6-9bb5-7824af3de903

Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x150c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d19426be19118f
Report Id: bc0157df-0021-11e6-b026-7824af3de903

Your fs9 is crashing because of a bad configuration or installation of SweetFX or the ENBSeries Module.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim, but that now seems unlikely. How did you get to that conclusion, out of interest?

I think that it is something to do with the ATC programme I have (Oncourse PF3). It's the strangest thing, and it'd be great if anyone can explain what may be going on: I have tried running a clean (out of the box) version of FS9.1 with PF3, no SweetFX or any addons at all otherwise, and I still get the CTD. But more than that, as soon as I tune to ATIS in PF3 (still in the 'vanilla' FS9), my a/c (any) jumps up and down like a mad thing before the screen goes black and FS9 crashes. Sounds almost unbelievable, but it happens every time I tune in to an airport ATIS frequency - I've tried several airports and the result is always the same.

As I say, further ideas very welcome!!

Thanks Jim, but that now seems unlikely. How did you get to that conclusion, out of interest?

One of your crashes was caused by the d3d9.dll which is part of the ENBSeries hack.  There could of course be a problem with your installation of DirectX too but mostly it is the ENBSeries hack that causes the problems.  The other crashes were unknown but then, the d3d9.dll crash does not happen every time.

Aircraft jumping up and down is normal to me.  I see it a lot in spot view. 

I would reinstall the DirectX runtime program and/or check your sound card drivers.  You can also take a look to see if DirectX is installed installed properly by typing dxdiag in your Windows search box and clicking return.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'll have a look, but uninstalling PF3 and reinstalling a clean version stopped the CTDs, for a while. As I tweaked things back to how I had them, the CTDs started again, and the a/c jumping. When I say jumping Jim, I MEAN jumping  :-) They do cartwheels and end up upside down.... I have started again and will rebuild PF3 bit by bit.

The DXTDiag found no problems. If the runtime needed reinstalling, would a problem not show up there?

As for SweetFX/ENB, as I say, the crashes occur just the same when I run FS9 from an out-of-the-box setup too..

When I say jumping Jim, I MEAN jumping :-) They do cartwheels and end up upside down.... I have started again and will rebuild PF3 bit by bit.

I've seen that before but that's more than just "jumping" so a bit harder to diagnose.  Try the following fix in FS9 - http://www.avsim.com/topic/383833-jumping-fsx-aircraft/

The DXTDiag found no problems. If the runtime needed reinstalling, would a problem not show up there?

Correct.

As for SweetFX/ENB, as I say, the crashes occur just the same when I run FS9 from an out-of-the-box setup too..

How did the d3d9.dll get in your folder?  It is not installed by default.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi again - thanks for the help.

I wasn't very clear in my explanation, sorry. The d3d9.dll file and the error are in my full FS9 folder, with SweetFX, but the other CTD info comes from tests I did using a 'clean' FS9 installation. My fault for not making that clear.

Thanks for the link, but I know that issue (FS9 BTW, not FSX). This is spectacularly different - the aircraft leaps and rolls and is thrown perhaps 50' into the air - and I even get fire and flame effects in spot view!

I have reinstalled PF3 and gently tweaked most of the settings back to how it was and for now the CTDs have stopped. No idea for how long as I don't know what triggered them in the first place. I have had SweetFX for years, all working fine and I made no changes...

The only thing I can think of is that I installed Photoshop CS2 onto the PC. I wonder if that changed something? I only use this PC for FS9 & FSX (Photoshop was to help make a/c repaints), so there is not a lot changes by way of software installations. That said, uninstalling Photoshop and running System Restore didn't stop the CTDs, so I am doubtful PS was in fact to blame...

Thanks for the link, but I know that issue (FS9 BTW, not FSX). This is spectacularly different - the aircraft leaps and rolls and is thrown perhaps 50' into the air - and I even get fire and flame effects in spot view!

Martin, I do know you are talking about FS9 and not FSX. 

SweetFX and the ENBSeries works well most of the time but occasionally, like FS9 and FSX, crash.  For some reason, a parameter in your .ini is not working at its optimum best.  I suggest you take your issue about SweetFX and the ENBSeries to our SweetFX forum and perhaps someone there can take a look at your .ini and suggest a modification.  At least one of the errors you had above was directly related to the ENBSeries.

As computers get more and more powerful, developers are changing their sceneries and their aircraft to add even more eye-candy.  They think most computers made today can handle the added features and modifications that were used before Sandy Bridge (the i7 CPU's).  And they are mostly right if we just installed their airport scenery or aircraft but there are a lot of nice eye-candy scenery out there!  Aircraft too.  So more and more resources are needed to run your simulator.  This is why we are seeing more and more OOM's and some other unexplained crashes.  People think they have a super powerful system and crank it up to the max and not aware that developers have also updated their software and added even more eye-candy.  By 2050, I expect we'll be flying over earth in real time with our flight simulators.  Now that will be super nice eye-candy!

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, I have included ways for you to investigate your crash.  You can disable all of your addon scenery and they see if this fixes the problem.  If it does, then it is likely one of those sceneries.  You then enable 2-3 at a time until the error reoccurs.  You can then go to the developer of that scenery and ask for a fix.

For aircraft, it is simple as you know what aircraft was loaded when you got the crash.  If you have any addon aircraft textures, you can move those folders to a temporary directory until you find the offending repaint for that particular aircraft.  You then will have to go to the developer of that repaint and look for a fix.

I doubt the program Photoshop is at fault in any way.  FSX or FS9 do not interact with that program in any way.  It's just that your sim will interact with the textures produced by Photoshop. 

I have no further suggestions though and hope you find a cure for your many crashes.  Your suggestion that repaints are the cause is most likely what is happening.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM