Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

Anyone Using PilotEdge?

Does it simulate VHF transmissions yet, or does it still sound like Teamspeak?

They were looking at it, but not implemented yet. That being said, there are already a numbers of solutions you can install on your side so you sound -VHF like- to controllers/pilots on the network and you hear them -VHF like- as well.

Manuel Merelles

As a non-pilot who listens to LiveATC more than I would casually admit to my friends, I would have to say that while I applaud the desire to have PilotEdge sound like the real thing, if I were just starting off learning, I would definitely appreciate the 'crystal-clear' voices! :wink:

Bear in mind that what you hear on LiveATC is what is picked up on a scanner in someone's house who may or may not have a decent antenna and may or may not be in close proximity to an airport. If you sit in an aircraft with the engine off near a control tower and are using a good-quality headset, radio transmissions are generally very clear. It doesn't exactly sound like PilotEdge, but it does not sound like a bad CB radio either.

I am a RW pilot and you won't get much more realistic sim training than PE.  They are all professionals who do it by the book.  The audio doesn't have the same noise you hear a lot of times in a headset but that is very minor compared to the tremendous training you receive.

I was really impressed with PE. It will give you the realistic procedures that are missing in VATSIM (and they won't correct). What you do in PE, you would do in the real airplane. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Just did my first flight. It was killer.

I flew the suggested intro flight from L52 to KSBP. Given that I'm not a real-world pilot, this was my first time dealing with anything this ... real. It was surprisingly intense, actually. While I had watched the video and flown the flight a few times before logging in to get my wits about me, I can't believe how nervous I was. It was ridiculous. Truly.

Nonetheless, I thought I handled myself well. Got a radio check from KSBP tower before making the call on L52 CTAF just to make sure my PTT switch was working. Went through the right steps once out of the pattern, made the final call on two mile final, and even though I was ridiculously anxious I greased the landing. Made a nice turn off 29 and waited for direction.

Feeling pretty good about myself, I was. So much so I sort of stopped paying attention as I basked in my own glory. After a few seconds I thought, "Did he tell me to taxi to the ramp? He must have."

Wrong move, bucko. The next thing I hear is: "Uhh ... Cessna 5 Juliet Golf, where are you going?" I apologized that I had missed the call. A brief but well deserved lecture followed.

It was all really pretty amazing, and my adrenaline was really flowing. I'll be sending in my check (along with reviewing every training workshop they've got so I can better know what the hell I'm doing).

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

They were looking at it, but not implemented yet. That being said, there are already a numbers of solutions you can install on your side so you sound -VHF like- to controllers/pilots on the network and you hear them -VHF like- as well.

I think that's true and, really, probably the best solution.  That way people who want to hear very clear sounds can do so and people that want to hear sound like you'd hear on Live ATC could do so as well. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I agree with Gregg, provide the option on voice clarity. As was mentioned by Neucoas earlier in this thread, not only will adding static to the voices make it more difficult for those whom english is not their native language but also for those that have a hearing deficiency. Considering the average age of flight simmers I expect that I am not the only one that falls into the latter category :Big Grin: .

One of the reasons I gave up real life flying is that it became to difficult for me to understand air traffic control. My girlfriend did not feel comfortable having to repeat the air traffic communication for me or talking to air traffic control herself. Unfortunate as I really liked having a copilot to operate the radios. Made me feel like a real Captain.

I bought the Airline2sim training video but with the UK accents and the two pilots talking over each other I had to keep rewinding it to try to understand what was being said. After 15 minutes I gave up and never tried again.

The more people that use this service the better it will be for everyone. So I think having the option to choose clear voices or static simulation added to the voices is the best for everyone. This isn't just for the benefit of the two groups I mentioned above. For those native english speakers with perfect hearing, you certainly don't want to hear a lot of "say again" and "please repeats last transmission" on the airwaves. Followed by others saying "get a good headset" when that may not be the problem.

I just wanted to present everyone here with another perspective.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Funny you say that, because I got SoCal yesterday for just that reason.

There are more than rumors that they're growing northward...something I'd think that would be fairly huge.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There are more than rumors that they're growing northward...something I'd think that would be fairly huge.

Where did you hear this? They've announced plans to add a bunch of class B airports like SEA and DEN but are only going to provide coverage for flights to and from those specific airports and not the full ARTCC in those areas (the same as SFO is now). My personal presumption is that they're doing this to attract the VATSIM tubeliner hobbyists, but for GA piston guys like myself it's disappointing. They first announced this on their Facebook page nearly a year ago, so who knows when or if it will actually happen.

http://forums.pilotedge.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5499

Got my V-01 rating today over lunch. I've gone from the trial to a paid subscription. PE is really, really cool.

Yes it is. PE moves simming to a whole new ligue. You feel the pressure, fatigue and mental overwhelming similar to real life. Flying the slow and easy cessna 172 on the sim becomes extremely harder when performing under real ATC. Good luck :D

Manuel Merelles