Sign in to follow this  
murderbybox

FS9>FSX

Hello! (Sorry if wrong forum) I am thinking about upgrading to FSX, but i have a few questions, that i'd like answered.

For starters, could these specs run FSX on Low/Medium settings at decent FPS with the 'GX, or the iFly 737? 

GPU: AMD Radeon 5400

CPU: Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60Ghz

RAM: 2 Gb

And is 29.75 Gb enough harddrive space for a couple of aircraft, and a few average (freeware, or payware) sceneries? 

Thanks.

IMHO, although your system can support FSX, I think that you may be disappointed with the performance.  You're going to be running everything towards the low end. 

As for the iFly 737, or any frame heavy aircraft you can pretty much forget it.

If you are currently using FS9, then I would recommend staying with FS9.

Of course, you can always try a dual-install and make the decision yourself.  At least for the short-term you have enough space on your hard drive to give it a try.

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

While I don't know about their FS9 system requirements iFly, Level-D, FeelThere, etc. so have FS9 equivalents for their aircraft.

Also, if you search the Internet you'll find that there is still an active FS9 community which continues to generate freeware aircraft and scenery.

If you don't currently own a copy of FSX, then watch for one of the Steam sales.  FSX - Steam  purportedly runs a bit better than FSX Boxed, and on sale you can get it for $7 - $8.  You might be able to get a bit better performance from it on your system.

Of course, the long term solution is to up you system specs, but that's not always a financial possibility, or at least not for me. :-)

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Ernest Pergrem

Very true. In FS9 I can run Swedflight's Arlanda scenery, with the PMDG 737, VC, medium high/custom settings, and get well over 25 frames.

Very true. In FS9 I can run Swedflight's Arlanda scenery, with the PMDG 737, VC, medium high/custom settings, and get well over 25 frames.

And about specs, i am planning to make a BIG upgrade, but it will cost me around 300 bucks, so it will be a while.

Like others said, with that rig I'd stick to FS9.

For FSX you'll need a clock speed of at least 3.85ghz or faster, 8GB RAM and a 64bit OS to get good performance flying sophisticated airliners into reasonably detailed aftermarket airports with AI involved.

When FSX first came out I tried running it on a 2.53ghz processor and it was aweful, like 5 FPS using default planes with low settings, lol.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Like others said, with that rig I'd stick to FS9.

For FSX you'll need a clock speed of at least 3.85ghz or faster, 8GB RAM and a 64bit OS to get good performance flying sophisticated airliners into reasonably detailed aftermarket airports with AI involved.

When FSX first came out I tried running it on a 2.53ghz processor and it was aweful, like 5 FPS using default planes with low settings, lol.

Wow. Yeah, i think ill stick to FS9, atleast until i get 4-8 gb's of ram, probably a Radeon 6XXX or 7XXX as an upgrade, and atleast a 3.85 ghz, nah, ill stick with a 32 bit OS for now. But, thing is: AI will not be involved ;P There's a glorius thing called Vatsim :D

Wow. Yeah, i think ill stick to FS9, atleast until i get 4-8 gb's of ram, probably a Radeon 6XXX or 7XXX as an upgrade, and atleast a 3.85 ghz, nah, ill stick with a 32 bit OS for now. But, thing is: AI will not be involved ;P

Don't bother getting 4 to 8gb of RAM if your not going to switch to a 64bit operating system. If you stick to a 32 bit system you can only use up to about 3.5gn of ram.

Seriously through, if you go through the bother of getting a new CPU,video card and RAM, don't sell you self short and stick to a 32 bit system. Get at 64 bit OS to take advantage of the performance even if your not using AI. You'll be pretty limited on what you can do on a 32bit OS when FSX or P3D is being used.

You might want to get an NVIDIA based graphics card as they are generally better for FSX or P3D than the ones you mentioned.

There's a glorius thing called Vatsim :D

Yeah I know about Vatsim. I've been a member here for as long as you've been alive and been simming since your parents were kids :-) I know this since your profile states that your 13 in case you wondered.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hello David

+1 to sticking to FS9. I don't even recommend you to try FSX because I think it will be a waste of time and a source of frustrations with your current computer. It happened to me with a computer with much better specs than yours now.

Also, at the risk of being Captain Obvious and ignoring your financial situation, I'd recommend trying to invest in a newer system. With very little investment you can get a rig capable of managing FSX.

+1 to Nvidia for Flight Simulation and +1 to a 64bit OS should you decide to get a new PC. And I would start from scratch, i.e., wouldn't try to preserve any of your existing components.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Don't bother getting 4 to 8gb of RAM if your not going to switch to a 64bit operating system. If you stick to a 32 bit system you can only use up to about 3.5gn of ram.

Seriously through, if you go through the bother of getting a new CPU,video card and RAM, don't sell you self short and stick to a 32 bit system. Get at 64 bit OS to take advantage of the performance even if your not using AI. You'll be pretty limited on what you can do on a 32bit OS when FSX or P3D is being used.

You might want to get an NVIDIA based graphics card as they are generally better for FSX or P3D than the ones you mentioned.

Yeah I know about Vatsim. I've been a member here for as long as you've been alive and been simming since your parents were kids :-) I know this since your profile states that your 13 in case you wondered.

Hello David

+1 to sticking to FS9. I don't even recommend you to try FSX because I think it will be a waste of time and a source of frustrations with your current computer. It happened to me with a computer with much better specs than yours now.

Also, at the risk of being Captain Obvious and ignoring your financial situation, I'd recommend trying to invest in a newer system. With very little investment you can get a rig capable of managing FSX.

+1 to Nvidia for Flight Simulation and +1 to a 64bit OS should you decide to get a new PC. And I would start from scratch, i.e., wouldn't try to preserve any of your existing components.

Sorry for not responding in a while, was busy. Yes indeed i'm 13 :P My parents are in their late 40's. Ill like to keep me'h f*cken fan tho, its OVERKILL for beast computers in 2016 ;p Id prefer to stay with AMD, cheaper. 

Ill try and buy Windows 7 64 bit, but that will be a while. The problem here: I need a new motherboard to support a better CPU, and the RAM, i need a new motherboard for that too, so i have to get motherboard, cpu, ram, at the same time. The Radeon 5400 is a decent GPU, not for the time, but i can live with it for a while, so thats a low priority, first things first tho: Need to get some money, not the richest family i live in.