Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

GPU tesselation still broken in P3D v3?

So I upgraded to P3D v3 from 2.5, and unfortunately it's broken.

http://imgur.com/a/9TziU

The first image is with Tesselation enabled. Note:

Blurry textures

Light, black triangle on the ground and further black lines in the distance, faint black line roughly following the contour of the road. These faint black lines fade in and out depending on viewing angle and elevation and seem to appear especially around roads and other vector objects.

Second image with tesselation disabled: sharper textures, no visual artifacts.

GTX 970, driver 364.72

Is it a driver issue, or were the P3D beta testers not paying attention again?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Third option - it may be your system or settings.

Obviously it is not broken or we all would have the problem. Some have said that going back to the 353.30 drivers is better than 364.72 but YMMV.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Try the 337.88 :)

Are you using 3.2? Come to think of it I haven't tried turning tessellation off to see if that solves the blurries I'm having.

Are you using 3.2? Come to think of it I haven't tried turning tessellation off to see if that solves the blurries I'm having.

Bloom, if you have a 4 core CPU with H.T. capability...turn it on...and at the top of the P3D v3.2 config file....add:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=244

P3D v3.2 loves H. T....and the above setting for 4 real, and 4 virtual cores...     The sim runs like a Swiss watch! :)

Bloom, if you have a 4 core CPU with H.T. capability...turn it on...and at the top of the P3D v3.2 config file....add:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=244

P3D v3.2 loves H. T....and the above setting for 4 real, and 4 virtual cores...     The sim runs like a Swiss watch! :)

What do you mean by "4 real and 4 virtual"...? You don't mean using them all right? Because that AF doesn't use the complete 1st core or the second logical...: 11 11 01 00 = 244

What do you mean by "4 real and 4 virtual"...? You don't mean using them all right? Because that AF doesn't use the complete 1st core or the second logical...: 11 11 01 00 = 244

Right...because P3D v3.2 doesn't address those core much...so free them for system work.

244 is for a 4 core running in Hyperthreading Mode.

244 prevents thread collisions, and gives silky smoothness in H.T.  I use it across all my sims, and I only run my system in H.T.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/

:)

Mitch

Right...because P3D v3.2 doesn't address those core much...so free them for system work.

244 is for a 4 core running in Hyperthreading Mode.

244 prevents thread collisions, and gives silky smoothness in H.T.  I use it across all my sims, and I only run my system in H.T.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/

:)

Mitch

For P3D the recomendation on 4 core with HT enabled is 85 or 116

Glenn, if you using either of those settings, try 244 and see how it runs for you....you might like it!  I can go as low as 11-12 FPS and still have no visual stutter!

Just out of curiosity...I'll replace 244 with your 85 and see if there is a performance difference, in either FPS to any particular scene, as well as animation smoothness.  I'll report back if there is anything different from running under my normal 244 setting.

Post Edit:   Just came off an '85' setting flight.  Result....blurry ground textures, and stutter

Went back to 244....and clear ground textures and stutter-free one more.

No thanks....244 it stays!

Cheers,

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=244

I'm using 238 now. Seems the same though. Also Steve doesn't recommend any am that unmasks 5 cores/LPs he says it reduces performance. 4 or 6 cores seem to be the way to go. 244,248 and etc are all 5 core unmasks.

I'm using 238 now. Seems the same though. Also Steve doesn't recommend any am that unmasks 5 cores/LPs he says it reduces performance. 4 or 6 cores seem to be the way to go. 244,248 and etc are all 5 core unmasks.

Well, it's weird then, for with am AM=85, at my FBO...I started having microstutter, and blurry ground textures, not very blurry, but still out of focus, as well as trees shimmering.

I went back on my i7-975 4 core (in HT mode enabled) at 4.3 Ghz...to AM=244, and on the next usage, crystal clear scenery the likes of my Portland shots, and staying mostly at 27-32.9 with no stutter whatsoever.  It could be that in using 244, all the threads are working with each other, 3rdP's are also behaving...etc...but the end game, is that it is a great settting on my system.  It may not be theoretically correct as per Steve's input,  but in usage on my system....the AM setting earns a 'wow'....

Bottom line I guess, as always, however way you 'get there'....but as long as you do... :wink:

There is no "the recommendation". Just because some guy on a forum who sounds credible tells you that some value is better than the other doesn't mean it's right. If a person says that 244 or whatever value "gives silky smoothness" like in this case, I would say that this is the right value for that particular system. Every setup is different.

So I upgraded to P3D v3 from 2.5, and unfortunately it's broken.

http://imgur.com/a/9TziU

The first image is with Tesselation enabled. Note:

Blurry textures

Light, black triangle on the ground and further black lines in the distance, faint black line roughly following the contour of the road. These faint black lines fade in and out depending on viewing angle and elevation and seem to appear especially around roads and other vector objects.

Second image with tesselation disabled: sharper textures, no visual artifacts.

GTX 970, driver 364.72

Is it a driver issue, or were the P3D beta testers not paying attention again?

I can confirm this problem with my setup (P3DV3.2, Win 10, GTX980T1, Driver 361.91)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/umte5xney3xciu9/TessHigh.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5med8cd3s8yv6o/TessOff.jpg?dl=0

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hi gb,

I could be wrong but I'm not sure what you are seeing has much to do with Tesselation.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html

Perhaps the high setting is sucking resources needed for other stuff like anisotropic filtering. Does seem unlikely, however, as you have a GTX 980Ti. What's your CPU?

Regards,

Mike

Not completely off topic, but I tried the AM 244 and I'm keeping it.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's