Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Runway Departure/Arrival Determination

This will sound like a dumb question but here lately, as I've been having way too much enjoyment in the Airbus A320/321, I've been going through the whole route planning process, and in that, kinda picked a runway out of thin air.  What I mean is when I start a plan, I pick the runway for departure and approach but have found that my choice is wrong, and find myself plowing through oncoming traffic departing and arriving...the TCAS goes crazy!  Yes, I use AI traffic (for immersion).

I am wondering how you all are able to start a flight and know which runway to use, without having the same problem as I.  I have a feeling that someone will wind up saying that they sit at the gate and watch the AI traffic to find out which runway to use before programming their MCDU/FMC, but I'm all ears and am willing to hear some knowledgeable advice.

TIA

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Have you tried listening to the ATIS at the departure airport?

For arrivals you need to look up the METAR (our the condition report from your weather engine) and take a best guess at which runway has the wind blowing down it.

For TO I tune in local or closest ATIS, ASOS or AWOS and find out wind direction.

while taxing I check windsocks if available and working.

To land I do the same or if using ASN I tune in 122.02 and get the weather info.

sometimes if flying low and slow I do the pattern and try to look at the windsocks.

Then select the runway heading closest to the wind direction.

Note:

Destination wind direction and runway can change, specially on long flights, so I do not program that until I begin the approach.

If you have ASN you can check METARs all along the flight.

Cheers.

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered ATIS and (thumping head) I do use ASN and again, never considered tuning in to that.

Thanks again,

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered ATIS and (thumping head) I do use ASN and again, never considered tuning in to that.

Just remember when using ASN. To get correct info make a flight plan in ASN.

either basic or complete, takes less than a minute, save it and reuse.

In ASN you can just input FROM, TO and ALTERNATE and select VOR-TO-VOR.

My flight plans come from the FMS or from the GTN if plane is equipped.

Cheers.

Just remember when using ASN. To get correct info make a flight plan in ASN.

(either basic or complete, takes less than a minute, save it and reuse)

Cheers.

I thought about that as well, but I use PFPX for flight planning.

-Jim

Sorry I edited my post while you posted.

If you want correct info from ASN, you must add a flight plan. (Just a basic one to get TRUE destination METARS.

please see my previous post.

Cheers.

-Jim

What I do from scratch is load ASN and let it load current weather. Then minimization it and open PFPX and let it load the current ASN weather. Plan the flight in PFPX and it will give a recommended departure runway and arrival, as well as SID and STAR for thr current weather based off the winds at that time.

I then export the plan to both FSX and PMDG folders and close PFPX. I then go back into ASN and load the flight plan PFPX exported and use the wind lock feature in ASN for the destination airport so that AI aren't taking off in different directions.

I then load FSX, select my PMDG aircraft and airport and load the flight. Once the aircraft has initialized I use the flight request feature in the FMC and load the plan that PFPX exported. This way it matches the flight plan in ASN.

I contact ATC and verify the departure runway then which usually matches the wind direction that PFPX selected based on the wind. Now if I'm at an airport like KDFW and the wind is from the north and I'm parked on the west side of the airport I'll use 36R for my departure so I don't have to taxi to the other side of the airport. I program the runway and matching SID into the FMC and go.

Once airborne I'll either use the built in ASN ATIS frequencies to monitor the wind at the destination or use the Ctrl F11 key to bring up the inflight ASN weather request for the destination. I'll monitor that until about 120 prior to TOD to make sure the expected winds and arrival runways still match the selected arrival STAR and runway.

Works like a charm everytime since ASN using the flight plan will set a wind lock and won't change the arrival winds during the descent.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I use Pro ATC X on every flight with my PMDG 737 NGX, along with ASN. It checks the weather from ASN ( I always use real weather), assigns  departure runway, at at the arrival airport checks the weather there as I approach and assigns the correct arrival runway. Just like real life flying. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS