Looking to buy a Dell 4K S2817Q 28" LCD.  I currently run two EVGA GTX 970 in SLI. I only fly P3Dv3 ( Uses SLI ) and XP10 ( Does not support SLI ).   My question is should I buy two 4K monitors or is it ok to buy one 4K and use it along side my standard Samsung 27" LCD?  I don't span P3D on two monitors, I use the second monitor for displaying charts, ASN, etc.....   I want to run P3D & XP10 on the 4K monitor.

Thanks for any advice!

Pete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Looking to buy a Dell 4K S2817Q 28" LCD.  I currently run two EVGA GTX 970 in SLI. I only fly P3Dv3 ( Uses SLI ) and XP10 ( Does not support SLI ).   My question is should I buy two 4K monitors or is it ok to buy one 4K and use it along side my standard Samsung 27" LCD?  I don't span P3D on two monitors, I use the second monitor for displaying charts, ASN, etc.....   I want to run P3D & XP10 on the 4K monitor.

Thanks for any advice!

Pete

One 4K plus a 1080 monitor is going to be a challenge for any system running P3D.

Two 4Ks will almost certainly bring it to it's knees frame rate wise.

Personally I don't really think 4K is worth it at 28".

28" is still very acceptable image quality wise at 1440 and things will run a lot smoother than at 4K.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

One 4K plus a 1080 monitor is going to be a challenge for any system running P3D.

Two 4Ks will almost certainly bring it to it's knees frame rate wise.

Personally I don't really think 4K is worth it at 28".

28" is still very acceptable image quality wise at 1440 and things will run a lot smoother than at 4K.

gb.

Thanks for the tip. My concern with frames is the same. I see you are from Sydney. I am Sydney born and raised but have lived in Canada's Yukon for a long time.

Pete

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Im using a 1440P 28" ROG Swift. 

I was going to go 4K but I really really 144hz refresh rate + Gsync for the other games I play, anyways I was suprised how much better the quality of the picture was on 1440p. Maybe one day I'll go 4K but just not yet.

Cheers!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Thanks for the tip. My concern with frames is the same. I see you are from Sydney. I am Sydney born and raised but have lived in Canada's Yukon for a long time.

Pete

That's quite a change in scenery then.

At least you can virtually fly back any time you like.  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

That's quite a change in scenery then.

At least you can virtually fly back any time you like.  :)

gb.

Majority of my flight simulator flights are within Oz.

Pete Richards

Thanks for any advice!

Pete

28", thats tiny, I thought my old 31" Dell was small. I running xplane on a 42" Wasabi Manogo 4k, It's awesome ! The extra resolution and the bigger real-estate makes simming more immersive ! If your going to get a 4k I wouldn't buy anything smaller then 32". Especially in windows 7 because of the scaling. With the extra real-estate you could run xplane in a window and your charts in another window. Have you thought about using a tablet for charts ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

On FSX classic I have no issues running two monitors -  40 inch 4K for the sim and 32 inch 1440p for charts etc and that is with one humble 770 4g gpu.  Maybe P3D is different but it seems to me the requirements to run FS at 4K have been greatly exaggerated.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I am also running one 4K monitor for P3d and 2 1080p monitors for charts, AivlaSoft EFB and so on.

Running it on a 970 GTX and it works fine. Heavy overcast conditions are the only problem in terms of FPS.

I run P3D on a 1200p monitor (quite a rarity), and run two extra 1080p monitors side by side for charts and stuff.

No perf issue FPS wise on a cheap GTX 760. As long as the 3D stuff is kept on one monitor, it's all ok.

However, when I tried nvidia surround, it was a disaster :^

On FSX classic I have no issues running two monitors -  40 inch 4K for the sim and 32 inch 1440p for charts etc and that is with one humble 770 4g gpu.  Maybe P3D is different but it seems to me the requirements to run FS at 4K have been greatly exaggerated.

Bruceb

Can you really tell the difference in image quality when running FSX on a 4 k monitor vs a 1080p/  Does the program really have the resolution to make this happen? I have been thinking of getting a larger monitor as my current LG 27" @ 1080p is nice but small. I hooked up the 1080p Sanyo tv to the computer and the video while larger was not real good when running FSX. I did run the 4K video demos on the tv  and they looked better and as good as they do on the 27" monitor. 

That is why I am asking about FSX quality on a 4K screen.

Terry

Can you really tell the difference in image quality when running FSX on a 4 k monitor vs a 1080p/  Does the program really have the resolution to make this happen? I have been thinking of getting a larger monitor as my current LG 27" @ 1080p is nice but small. I hooked up the 1080p Sanyo tv to the computer and the video while larger was not real good when running FSX. I did run the 4K video demos on the tv  and they looked better and as good as they do on the 27" monitor. 

That is why I am asking about FSX quality on a 4K screen.

Terry

The main benefit of 4K is that you can run FSX on larger monitors ( eg 40 inch or more) at the same or better resolution you get with smaller monitors. Not much point in running 4K on anything less than say a 32 inch monitor however as the improvement is much less noticeable.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Can you really tell the difference in image quality when running FSX on a 4 k monitor vs a 1080p/  Does the program really have the resolution to make this happen?

I think there are some conceptual errors here. FSX will generate whatever resolution you ask it to generate. I'm sure there's a practical upper limit, but if you plug in a 4K monitor it will generate a 4K picture.

Your problem with running FSX on a 1080p TV is about the TV, not about FSX. (You don't say what size the TV is so it's hard to be more specific.) The truth is that 1080p is really a low resolution for anything bigger than about a 24" screen. It looks okay for TV, but we also tend to sit further away from a TV. The proper way to compare two displays is to compare the dpi (dots per inch, a.k.a. pixels per inch). Your 27" monitor has 82dpi, a 32" TV at the same resolution has 69dpi. A 42" TV has 52dpi. A 55" UHD TV has 80dpi so ought to look just as good as your monitor.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Can you really tell the difference in image quality when running FSX on a 4 k monitor vs a 1080p/  

Sure you can. As the others mentioned - in my eyes the main benefit is that you have very clear fonts and instruments in the VC even if you are "far" away.

I can virtually put my eye 2 inches from the monitor and not see a pixel (32'' IPS 4K).

Would go for it! I love my 4K monitor.

Sure you can. As the others mentioned - in my eyes the main benefit is that you have very clear fonts and instruments in the VC even if you are "far" away.

I can virtually put my eye 2 inches from the monitor and not see a pixel (32'' IPS 4K).

Would go for it! I love my 4K monitor.

How does the scenery look on 4K compared to 1080P?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM