I think there are some conceptual errors here. FSX will generate whatever resolution you ask it to generate. I'm sure there's a practical upper limit, but if you plug in a 4K monitor it will generate a 4K picture.

Your problem with running FSX on a 1080p TV is about the TV, not about FSX. (You don't say what size the TV is so it's hard to be more specific.) The truth is that 1080p is really a low resolution for anything bigger than about a 24" screen. It looks okay for TV, but we also tend to sit further away from a TV. The proper way to compare two displays is to compare the dpi (dots per inch, a.k.a. pixels per inch). Your 27" monitor has 82dpi, a 32" TV at the same resolution has 69dpi. A 42" TV has 52dpi. A 55" UHD TV has 80dpi so ought to look just as good as your monitor.

My Sanyo tv is a 42" 1080p. The monitor is a LG 27"  http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MP38VQ-B-led-monitor

Yes I understand dots per inch and how they compare to the various screen sizes.

My main question is "Does FSX have enough texture resolution/detail to be properly displayed on a 4K screen? " If you take a picture/video with a 1080p camera, you cannot expect a true 4K image displayed on the 4K screen where as if you have "Both" a 4 K camera and monitor, you get the "Full" 4K image. Yes I know there are some TVs that massage the 1080P image to make it think it is 4K but still it is not a "True" image.

Again, does FSX have enough code/detail/resolution to make a true 4K image? 

Now is there a "Big" difference between FSX and P3D in image resolution? Yes I understand P3D probably has more "Detail" /bells and whistles than FSX but does it have more image resolution that could translate to a 4K quality image?

That is my question.

PS: since upgrading my system to a 4790 and a GTX 980 with 16 Gb of ram and dual SSDs, the 10 year old FSX looks really good when all the settings are full right locked in at 40FPS. There is a lot of detail I never knew was in FSX until I had a machine that could run it.

Coming from a 42'' Full HD to a 27'' 4K will give you a MUCH sharper picture!

The resolution of FSX / P3D can surely be native 4k. So it is not an "upscaled" picture.

What you are talking about is texture resolution. Better texture resolution will give you better textures if you look at them closely.

The best thing for you would be to experience 4K first hand :-)

Talking about it and actually seeing it are 2 different things.

All I can say is: I do not regret going 4K at all!

Not for P3D alone, but using it with Windows for browsing or other stuff -> great! But I would go for 30''+ when thinking about 4K.

Is there a significant difference, quality-wise, between a 4K monitor and 4K TV?  The reason I ask is because there are some less expensive 4K TVs and they are bigger.  Also, some people are using the curved ones and they love them.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a monitor myself - I've heard raves about the new ultra-wide formats... They seem made for flightsim... Looking for feedback - the 3440x1440 looks good to me...

Specifically the Dell U3415W - 34 Inch curved.

Thoughts ?

2016-2-8_17-25-16-121.png.860b9c5e2e73b4

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

My main question is "Does FSX have enough texture resolution/detail to be properly displayed on a 4K screen? " If you take a picture/video with a 1080p camera, you cannot expect a true 4K image displayed on the 4K screen

Well that wasn't you question, but never mind. Because FSX is not showing a pre-rendered picture your camera analogy doesn't apply to the overall image. The image is rendered as a 3D projection, largely of vector-based (hence scaleable) objects, for every frame. That said, some of those objects are skinned with pre-rendered bitmaps, which have a lower resolution than 4K. I believe many of these textures (ground textures, for example) are built from 1024 x 1024 pixel squares. For this to even begin to matter you would need to be close enough to a textured thing for it to fill more than 1024 horizontal or vertical pixels on your screen. Even then it only 'matters' in a technical sense until you get really close. Yes, there are certain boundary conditions under which this will apply but it ought not to be a problem in general. Many add-on aircraft use hi-res virtual cockpit textures (2048, 4096), which will not break down on a 4K monitor unless you are zoomed in unrealistically.

All of this applies equally to your current greater-than-1024x1024-pixel monitor. In fact none of it is even relevant if you are buying a 4K monitor just for a bigger screen. As I have said above, choosing a 4K monitor of a size to give you the same resolution it will look exactly as good or bad as it does on your current monitor, you will just be able to see more of it. This presumes you adjust your zoom and viewing distance so that everything is about the same size on your new monitor.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Well that wasn't you question, but never mind. Because FSX is not showing a pre-rendered picture your camera analogy doesn't apply to the overall image. The image is rendered as a 3D projection, largely of vector-based (hence scaleable) objects, for every frame. That said, some of those objects are skinned with pre-rendered bitmaps, which have a lower resolution than 4K. I believe many of these textures (ground textures, for example) are built from 1024 x 1024 pixel squares. For this to even begin to matter you would need to be close enough to a textured thing for it to fill more than 1024 horizontal or vertical pixels on your screen. Even then it only 'matters' in a technical sense until you get really close. Yes, there are certain boundary conditions under which this will apply but it ought not to be a problem in general. Many add-on aircraft use hi-res virtual cockpit textures (2048, 4096), which will not break down on a 4K monitor unless you are zoomed in unrealistically.

All of this applies equally to your current greater-than-1024x1024-pixel monitor. In fact none of it is even relevant if you are buying a 4K monitor just for a bigger screen. As I have said above, choosing a 4K monitor of a size to give you the same resolution it will look exactly as good or bad as it does on your current monitor, you will just be able to see more of it. This presumes you adjust your zoom and viewing distance so that everything is about the same size on your new monitor.

Thanks for the help with the resolution problem and FSX vs P3D at 4K.

If FSX is capable of allowing my GTX 980 to generate a 4K image to a 4K monitor, I might as well save some money and just upgrade the monitor and not the sim. Besides I am not real keen on having to purchase P3D on line only.I do not like to place financial data out there where the bad guys can get to it. Guess I am still a brick and mortar guy.

My only problem is how close can I put a larger 4K screen from my eyes without a lot of eye strain. The old 42" 1080P really  hurt viewing at the 3 foot distance I have on the desktop. With the smaller 27" LG screen, I can put my nose on the screen  with no problems other than it is a lot smaller image.

Terry

Is there a significant difference, quality-wise, between a 4K monitor and 4K TV?  The reason I ask is because there are some less expensive 4K TVs and they are bigger.  Also, some people are using the curved ones and they love them.

Assuming your 4K monitor is going to be physically smaller than your 4K TV, in theory 4k monitors should, and usually do, look better just because of their higher pixel density, with sharper detail, greater colour range and less need for AA. However in practice a good large 4K TV will still have very impressive visuals and it's physical size will blow away a small monitor in terms of creating that sense of "being there".

As for which 4k TV to buy, really just a case of setting a target price and Googling reviews. The hard part is usually finding a review of the TV connected to a computer and not just running as a TV.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

How does the scenery look on 4K compared to 1080P?

Well.... Hard to describe.

I have a screenshot here http://i.imgur.com/5wK9X7S.jpg

But IMGUR seems to compress it. The image quality is bad, even though the uploaded screenshot was ~ 10 MByte in size.

I have no idea why it looks so bad on imgur.

Cockpit @ night: http://i.imgur.com/JBN1eLh.jpg but again pretty bad quality. In "real life" all fonts are still clear and easily readable.

Here as a fileupload, not img upload:

Well.... Hard to describe.

I have a screenshot here 

I don't think a screenshot can tell you anything about how a monitor looks! A screenshot is generated upstream of the monitor. Taking a photograph of the screen and posting that would make more sense.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I don't think a screenshot can tell you anything about how a monitor looks! A screenshot is generated upstream of the monitor. Taking a photograph of the screen and posting that would make more sense.

Oh rly? Working in IT for 10 years and you bring light to my world ;-D

He wanted to see the sim in 4K and the screenshots show it. Period.

I'm looking for a monitor myself - I've heard raves about the new ultra-wide formats... They seem made for flightsim... Looking for feedback - the 3440x1440 looks good to me...

Specifically the Dell U3415W - 34 Inch curved.

Thoughts ?

I have a 4K laptop and that is only 1/4 of the screen.  Is that a 1080p shot?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM