Sign in to follow this  

Orbx KTEX - Telluride

Mixed it up a little with various aircraft, time, and seasons ... wonderful scenery from the Orbx crew.

Got some excessive compression for night time footage (cast a little pink in the snow), the unfortunate side effects of nVidia ShadowPlay's compression (time for a dedicate video capture PC I guess).

Cheers, Rob.

Awesome!   Have always loved mountain flight, and this scenery looks great!  Really seems like I'm there! Now I need ORBX Telluride & the Comanche. 

Rob, your videos are always so freakin' good that they almost depress me....in a good way.  :)

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Wonderful area ... I have a good 3rd party set of KTEX, KASE, KDEN, KEGE ... that'll be my next video, maybe take the Q400 out for that hop and go set.

Cheers, Rob.

Great video Rob. With that intro scene I can see you are really enjoying your new yoke. :smile:

Your clouds look fantastic. What weather engine and clouds are you using? I just reinstalled P3D and with all the problem comments I've seen lately on the forums about ASN and REX I'm hesitant to reinstall those.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Thanks to the video, I did pick up Orbx FTEX (Telluride).  Spent a lot more time flight simming in the last few days too. Using the A2A 180 Cherokee, for that special feel of a airplane with a little engine at high altitudes, and the RealAir Lancair.  I remember the good old days (real mountain flights) with a Piper Archer (180 HP). Sometimes it was tough to get over 10,500' with just me (thanks to density altitude), and other days, I could get 12,500' with three aboard. Just always figured flight plans with lower altitude passes, just in case. Memories of the old days..

Nice to have Orbx, A2A, and RealAir !

With that intro scene I can see you are really enjoying your new yoke.

Yes, but don't tell anyone.  The YOKO yoke has really transformed the feeling of flight - worth every penny, much closer to the actual "feel" of a C172 ... motion ratios are closer (still not the same, but getting closer) ... or maybe I just have no hand/eye coordination ;)

I often use ASN for weather engine, but sometimes I'll manually create my own weather ... I think in this video I used a mix of both.  Was also trying out observer views ... may use those more often in the future.

I remember the good old days (real mountain flights) with a Piper Archer (180 HP).

I was thinking about the Cherokee or the C182, but at 9000+ feet for take-off roll it was going to a very slow flight ... which was fine, but even in the Commanche it wasn't "easy" to climb out and very easy to find myself "stuck" in a valley.

Thanks for the feedback Rob, I'll reinstall ASN but I think I'm going to hold off reinstalling REX for a little longer.

Larry, your Piper Archer story brought back memories. Since we are talking KTEX and mountain flying.... I lived in Telluride in the late 80's and used to rent a Piper Warrior (160 hp) in Montrose (no aircraft rentals in Telluride at the time) and fly it to Denver over the Continental Divide. I never would have been able to do it without my glider experience. Flight planning required routes and a time of day to obtain the optimal ridge and thermal lift. Once I realized that a more expensive per hour Turbo Mooney would make the trip for the same total cost due to the ability to go direct and faster I never flew that warrior again.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I think I'm going to hold off reinstalling REX for a little longer.

Oh yes, my REX settings are HERE (screenshots are from older version, but basically the same setup).  Only change is I've removed "Sun Effects" ... I do have the latest version of REX, but haven't attempted any adjustments "yet" using it.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the feedback Rob, I'll reinstall ASN but I think I'm going to hold off reinstalling REX for a little longer.

Larry, your Piper Archer story brought back memories. Since we are talking KTEX and mountain flying.... I lived in Telluride in the late 80's and used to rent a Piper Warrior (160 hp) in Montrose (no aircraft rentals in Telluride at the time) and fly it to Denver over the Continental Divide. I never would have been able to do it without my glider experience. Flight planning required routes and a time of day to obtain the optimal ridge and thermal lift. Once I realized that a more expensive per hour Turbo Mooney would make the trip for the same total cost due to the ability to go direct and faster I never flew that warrior again.

Ted

And I ended up with the much lighter Van's RV6 with 180 HP & C/S prop. We had a two place oxygen system, and mountain flight with density altitudes was no longer a problem. It had three times the climb performance of a Warrior  or 172. 

Oh yes, my REX settings are HERE

Thanks. From your video you don't seem to be having any of the FPS, low level clouds, or missing cloud issues that I have been reading about with REX and ASN.

I'm in the process of reinstalling FSX, P3Dv2, and P3dv3 to clean up some corrupted files and get back to original. So I am treading very lightly and slowly with reinstalling the addons, especially ones that have reported issues.

It had three times the climb performance of a Warrior  or 172. 

Now that sounds nice!

Ted