Sign in to follow this  
Speedbird 52

There is too much fanboyism in this community

Hello everyone, I realize the title may anger a lot of you, but that was not the point. After reading some comments on a comparison video, I just felt the need to post this. Take a look at the comments on this comparison of PMDGs old 747, and iflys new 747.

I was shocked to find people stubbornly defending PMDGs 10 year old product! Actually saying that it is superior to a 2014 product of quite high quality! Many of them insisted that the PMDG 747 had higher quality systems, and some even tried to say that the exterior modeling and VC was better! When they likely had never bought the product or even seen a good video of it! Why? Simply because it is PMDG. Now, PMDG obviously make extremely good products, but do you really think that a product that old will still be "the best"? Their response to my explanation of the products age: "Wait for the V2, it will be out in a few months!" Well, it has been two years, and where is the V2? NOWHERE! Because PMDG are taking their time to make a good product for us to enjoy! Correct me if I am wrong, but in 2014, PMDG were still working on the modeling! Had someone bought the ifly 747 when it was released (albeit with its numerous shortcomings and bugs...), they would have gotten their moneys worth by now, even if they did choose to buy PMDGs (quite possibly) "better" version. But its not only PMDG that has ######, ifly has their fair share too! When I posted several notable issues with the ifly 747 that I had observed from videos, I was called a "troll"! I could go on and on with examples, but I will leave it here. So what are your thoughts? Do we need to be more open as a community to other products? Or am I blatantly lying? One thing I do not want is to start a flamewar, so please lets have a constructive discussion, about this topic.

• Upvote 1

There is too much fanboyism in every community, and this community is no exception.

I would personally wait for PMDG 747 v2 to come out and then we could discuss this subject and compare it to iFly;s product.

• Upvote 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Your first mistake: reading comments on Youtube (or even news websites)

If it is a popular website there are going to be thousands of trolls, mostly teenagers just looking for some target to lash out at because they think that is enjoyment.

Now that Steam brought flight sim to a wider audience, all the younger aged kids that use Steam are now raiding flight sim videos and streams with comments like: fly this X aircraft! Do a barrel roll! Crash into a building! This company sucks! etc.

• Upvote 6

One thing that peeves me most is looking at the comments of a video like Matt Davies. It is flooded with things like "fly an A380", or a 787, or any other plane that was built in the last 5 years that obviously does not have any good addons!

• Upvote 2

Armchair pilots discussing armchair renditions of airplanes made for armchair simulations. Yep, they surely got a grip on things.

• Upvote 9

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Don't worry about it... these discussions are full of sound and fury and signify nothing (with apologies). You want discussions that really get fired up, join the comments sections of your major newspapers online.

DJ

Armchair pilots discussing armchair renditions of airplanes made for armchair simulations. Yep, they surely got a grip on things.

Ha ha :LMAO:  Good one!

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I've got a good grip on things here: Virtually sitting in a virtual cockpit looking at the virtual overhead panel where there was a virtual FAULT indicator (lit with a virtual LED no doubt). Thanks to the internet I nailed that sucker down STAT!

(POSKY 777 with JB panel - had to edit the cfg file to ensure electric pumps = 1)   :dance:

Sad? Me? no... hobbies keep the mind active!  :hi:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I have the iFly 747. It's sensational and I have no qualms about calling it one of if not the best add-on available, and that's in FS9 after my PC with FSX finally gave up. So that says something.

Sadly, like the op, listening to the garbage being posted about it and the 737 models being toys and vastly inferior is pure slander and has no basis of anything factual.

Easy answer to the fanboyism. Just make AVISM 18+ and all those little kids who have no idea won't be a problem.

Problem solved. :)

Mark L.

• Upvote 1

Now that Steam brought flight sim to a wider audience, all the younger aged kids that use Steam are now raiding flight sim videos and streams with comments like: fly this X aircraft! Do a barrel roll! Crash into a building! This company sucks! etc.

Could have fooled me. I remember quite a bit of this happening before FSX ever came to Steam. Just look at the P3D/DTG/Xplane debates that go on here. I dont think anything has changed and nothing ever will. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Just make AVISM 18+ and all those little kids who have no idea won't be a problem.

Well, that would certainly be a problem given how many young people we have in the community, and it's from those  young people that many knowledgable and expeirenced FS enthusiasts will come.  They replenish our ranks, especially if mentored, and that's what helps keep developers in our genre.

That said, I'll have to admit that people supporting a developer because they think it's cool and/or makes them part of the in crowd happens a lot and yeah, it can be annoying.  What is worse is having 30+ years in flight sim and being flamed a young, novice user who doesn't understand the topic or something I wrote. Hard to take, even when you consider the source. But I don't think there is anything we'll ever be able to do about it, young people grow at their own pace.

My solution?  I created a PRIVATE group (age 24+) about 10 years ago for people in FS who had similar interests (flying realistically in Shared Cockpit in the Maddog MD-80, Dash 8 Pro and Aerosoft Airbus as well as some GA Aircraft). That proved to be great fun and we eventually we caught the eye of several leading developers with whom we enjoyed many years of testing new products. This was born out of the synergy of good people with similar interests. That I think, is the only solution besides turning a deaf ear at times.

But we still have to respect and mentor our younger brothers and sisters, because the make up a pretty large segment of our community.

Best wishes and Happy Flights to all!

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Your first mistake: reading comments on Youtube (or even news websites)

If it is a popular website there are going to be thousands of trolls, mostly teenagers just looking for some target to lash out at because they think that is enjoyment.

Couldn't agree more.

It's really a shame that the Internet can really bring out the worst in some people, whether they post hateful comments for fun or not, it's too bad that it's becoming more and more common.

Even if you read an article on MSN or other news outlets and scroll down to the comments section you'll see adults arguing, spewing hateful comments at one another, etc. I've gotten to where I don't even read comment sections on most news or social media sites anymore.

My solution? I created a PRIVATE group (age 24+) about 10 years ago for people in FS who had similar interests (flying realistically in Shared Cockpit in the Maddog MD-80, Dash 8 Pro and Aerosoft Airbus as well as some GA Aircraft). That proved to be great fun and we eventually we caught the eye of several leading developers with whom we enjoyed many years of testing new products. This was born out of the synergy of good people with similar interests. That I think, is the only solution besides turning a deaf ear at times.

I like the cut of your jib.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator