Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

X-Aviation Weather Connector is out..and installed!

Great clouds..great sky...and working with SM 3.1.1

Good stuff...look for your purchase discount code in your email....good for only 7 days from today..

Ses

Eclipse_37.png

Eclipse_38.png

Eclipse_39.png

Eclipse_42.png

Eclipse_43.png

Eclipse_44.png

No impact on FPS, has been noticed....

Eclipse_46.png

• Upvote 1

Nice.

Although all the pics look good, the first few really seem to show the effect that RWC is adding, in that you can see a partial cloud cover that the aircraft is leaving and transitioning to a clear sky with no clouds.  This is really the effect that I'm looking forward to - flying from one type of cloud cover and being able to see a different type of cover in the distance.

Here's a question (for the devs perhaps): I've noticed that the coverage setting is completely maxed out in the third image.  Is this required to be able to see distant cloud formations?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Here's a question (for the devs perhaps): I've noticed that the coverage setting is completely maxed out in the third image.  Is this required to be able to see distant cloud formations?

No, that's just our friend liking to max things out. :)

You'll find your happy place, trust me.

Founder of X-Aviation

Correct Cameron, that (if my system allows for it, and it usually does....) is my usual M.O.  across all my sum platforms.  I start with the default, and then keep creeping up the sliders until I see a drop below 25 FPS on any of them.   :wink:

Any other feedback? Are weather injectioon smooth now without the annoying slight pauses? Thx

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Are weather injectioon smooth now

In my experience, yes.  I am using the above set with NOAA and while it had been reported that NOAA has it's own set of "pauses", I have not seen the pauses.  Rapid change of cloud patterns as it transitions, but no pauses.  It just looks like you just popped out of or into a cloud bank.  And the effects of landing lights reflecting back is really a nice touch.

John

John Wingold

Low level effects are excellent.  The only complaint I could possibly have is that at high altitudes (FL200 and above), you can see the end of the cloud area cut off.  It builds as you fly toward it.  I don't fly many airliners, and it really isn't a bother for me.  That is not a limitation of SMP/RWC, it's a hardware limitation of VRAM, I think.

Overall, an "A-minus" from me.  I'm running default X-Plane 10.45r2 weather, SMP 3.1.1 and RWC.  I removed NOAA because it does not provide complete METAR data that RWC needs for maximum effect.  Although the default weather injector does not provide winds aloft outside of the U.S., that is supposed to be fixed in 10.50.

that is supposed to be fixed in 10.50

Yes, here are Ben's blog comments about it

"Global Winds Aloft: X-Plane 10.50 will use global NOAA data for winds aloft, rather than a US-only data source."

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Low level effects are excellent. The only complaint I could possibly have is that at high altitudes (FL200 and above), you can see the end of the cloud area cut off.

Hmmm, I think the effect is quite a bit more obvious and visible from very low altitudes depending on the minimum height of the clouds. From what I can tell, the cloud cutoff point is exactly the same as before - it's going to match whatever is in your SMP settings.

If you're below broken cloud cover, you'll still get the 'circle' effect, where you can see what looks like clear sky in the distance in all directions. (Of course the effect is different depending on visibility and height of the clouds in relation to the ground and to the aircraft.  I tend to fly in open prairie / foothills areas, where you can see a LOT of sky... )

But this isn't really something I was expecting RWC to change. It'd just be nice if you could crank it up the coverage to double or triple what the max in SMP is now... without killing performance!

But in terms of what what they're advertising RWC to do, I give it pretty good marks. It's nice to look and see a bank of clouds in a certain direction, or be able to nicely approach or fly out of cloud cover.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

It'd just be nice if you could crank it up the coverage to double or triple what the max in SMP is now... without killing performance!

Yes, that would be getting something for nothing.  It takes a lot of power and VRAM to handle what would effectively be an "infinite" viewing distance.  As you mention, when you're out on level ground or at high FL's, you can see for well over 100 miles in all directions.  So if we do the math, the number of square miles that would need to be displayed is huge.  For just 100 miles of visibility it would be 31,400 square miles.  Also consider the number of METAR station reports within that area that would have to be analyzed, integrated and displayed.  I think it does a remarkable job, and the effect of flying through scattered clouds at night with reflections off landing lights is amazing (even though you shouldn't be flying with your landing lights on.)  :smile:

even though you shouldn't be flying with your landing lights on

Quite true!  I have, however, encountered low-level clouds on approach and the effect is amazing. The product delivers what is advertised and makes the experience much more like real life!

John

John Wingold

Great clouds..great sky...and working with SM 3.1.1

Good stuff...look for your purchase discount code in your email....good for only 7 days from today..

Hmmm.. I"m only seeing get rich schemes and Ukrainian women looking for love on that Eclipse site....?  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yes, the hackers have been removed.  Hopefully they will have found the hole and plugged it.

Hi Cameron, I assume (maybe incorrectly) that all coupon codes for this went out at the same time? If so, and not particular to my case, can you let me know when they expire/last moment to use it? (I know it said 7 days but would like an exact time if possible, just for personal reasons related to when my credit card statement closes for the month :P )

Thanks!

Damn, went looking for an Ukrainian woman, and bought weather connector by mistake!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020