Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

X-Aviation Weather Connector is out..and installed!

So , is the cloud still popping  out  ?

3.1 and 3.1.1 patches to the Skymaxx pro vastly improved that aspect for me. The changes are quite fluid and aren't as noticeable. Additionally, no freezes anymore when weather is rebaked since the last patch.

Can't really talk about the RWC since I didn't get it yet. 

I agree, although I miss a bit more of "stratification"....

Sc, St, As, Ns are, I believe, unexistant, unless an OVC or BKN is reported...

It's a bit the inverse of default X-Plane 10 clouds...

Also, and as I previewed, a day like yesterday or today where the METARs reported FEW012 or 018 and so on looked completely out of sync with reality because there were BKN and OVC layers at 6000' and above :-(- Looking from my office I can see an OVC layer of As right now... it's a grey day here... Not in XpX...

This is a limitation imposed by using the METAR only to infer cloud coverage, an area where by far the weather injcetors for FSX do a much much better job... Why and how ? By using weather models and not only observation, as well as tephigrams, and so on.... 

Anyway, enjoying both SMP and the connector, specially being able to use them both with the NOAA plugin, which I still find to be the best weather injector for XpX...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hmmm.. I"m only seeing get rich schemes and Ukrainian women looking for love on that Eclipse site....?  :)

gb.

Now...THAT was funny!  You made my morning!  :)))))))))  LOL!

After a second night of usage, I'm still pleased overall with RWC... I do find I like the representation of clouds better when I let RWC download it's own METAR, but occasionally it'll go from having clouds, to completely clear, to clouds again, within a minute or so.  Doesn't do that when it uses XP's downloaded weather, so I've been sticking with that.

I haven't flown enough to find any sort of variety other than transition lines from clear to scattered, but it's nice overall so far.

Now the only thing is that this reminds me just how much SMP hurts my fps... this is why I never upgraded to SMP 3 back when it came out.  I was sitting at CYEG last night, playing around with options in SMP - I went from medium settings in SMP and getting high 20's with broken cloud cover, to clear sky and getting high 50's... that's a heck of a loss. I could turn down SMP settings to near minimum and get some of that back... get to high 30's or so, but still.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

After a second night of usage, I'm still pleased overall with RWC... I do find I like the representation of clouds better when I let RWC download it's own METAR, but occasionally it'll go from having clouds, to completely clear, to clouds again, within a minute or so.  Doesn't do that when it uses XP's downloaded weather, so I've been sticking with that.

Was this with FSGRW by chance?

Founder of X-Aviation

Nope.  Was using XP default weather, set to real world weather, but choosing the second option in the RWC menu, where it downloads it's own METAR (from NOAA?) for cloud placement.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

What about FSGRW? I have it and intent to use it with RWC, anything that I should know about? Thx

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what the preference seems to be in terms of weather engine?

X-Plane default or NOAA? I thought RWC wouldn't work with NOAA. I find that the turbulence depiction to be too severe with default X-Plane weather, especially when landing.

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

RWC works with NOAA, you just have to choose "Always" ( middle option ) in the RWC menu under the SMP v3 menu in the plugins tab.

This way and as far as I understood, RWC downloads it's own METARs ( because download by X-plane 10 itself is inhibited by the NOAA plugin ), but keeps aloft wind data from NOAA.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...