Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Another "will my system be sufficient" question :-)

Hello folks,

I will be coming onboard the P3D simulation train, due to recent personal events I won't be able to get into it for a few months, however in the meantime I have a system that I plan on using, and being on a limited budget can't really buy a whole new system at the moment.

My system in question is:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel I5 650 3.2ghz.......I would consider putting in a Intel I7 880 but would rather not as I'm not too computer literate to start pulling out CPUs etc.

8 gb of ram

nvidia GTX 660 2gb card

That's pretty much the only system components I'm worried about in running this sim.

Anyone have a similar system that has run this program?

Or anyone have any input on this system?

I'm not looking for full sliders to the right,but also don't want to run it on the lowest possible settings either.

Thanks fellow simmers for any input you can offer

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I have an i5 running at 3.1 Ghz, 6 GB ram and a GTX 750 TI and I average  28-32 FPS on all my VA flights  , unlocked. I don't run sliders all maxed out, but use medium settings and it looks good with no stutters.. I did not load P3d down with scenery except UTX in the areas I fly. I am very pleased with how well P3D runs. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You can have a very enjoyable experience with P3D and that system as long as you use reasonable settings. Slamming them full bore will bring that system to it's knees but there is more than enough headroom for you to get good performance and some bells and whistles.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have an i7-4770 @ 3.90 GHz, 8GB ram and a ZOTAC GeForce 750 Ti 2GB video card. P3D only got 20 FPS at best then dropped to 15 FPS with clouds; I went back to FSX where I get 30 FPS (locked) with clouds. P3D didn't stutter but the frame rate hit was unacceptable with my system.

Thanks for all the quick comments so far.

I'm definetly not expecting full right sliders, just a fun enjoyable experience more than anything.

Trying to get an idea of what people think and wouldn't hold anyone against it if the system didn't run it properly lol....

Now here is the kicker, I'm an airliner type flyer, so ground enhancements arnt very important, but running aircraft sort of is.

Id be looking at 2 "for sure" purchases which would be the pmdg 737 and the majestic dash 8.....eessshhhh, perhaps I'm asking way too much of this system??

Thanks folks,

Keep the input coming if you have some :-)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Thanks for all the quick comments so far.

I'm definetly not expecting full right sliders, just a fun enjoyable experience more than anything.

Trying to get an idea of what people think and wouldn't hold anyone against it if the system didn't run it properly lol....

Now here is the kicker, I'm an airliner type flyer, so ground enhancements arnt very important, but running aircraft sort of is.

Id be looking at 2 "for sure" purchases which would be the pmdg 737 and the majestic dash 8.....eessshhhh, perhaps I'm asking way too much of this system??

Thanks folks,

Keep the input coming if you have some :-)

All I fly is the PMDG 737 NGX and the Q400.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks Bob,

Im thinking for the time being it's the only 2 aircraft I'll be flying for a while so I'm anxious to give it a go when I'm in a position to do so.

Hi.

I have an i5 3570K running at 4.4ghz and a GTX 660. I have my frames locked at 30fps, flying the PMDG 777. Normally my frames stay high 20's biggest killer is ASN flying through overcast/thick clouds where I can drop to 11FPS around complex addon airports. Once I've climbed/descended through heavy areas of cloud frames go back to high 20's. I use Affinty Mask 14 as its a quad core and in Nvida control panel I set vsync to adaptive. For a lower/ mid range system P3D V3.2 runs very smooth no stutters.

I know with FSX there was always people asking about tweaking the sim. With P3D is there all that tweaking as well or is this more a just slide the sliders around till you find the FPS that you are looking for? 

Anyone have a similar system that has run this program?

Or anyone have any input on this system?

Hi Gerry,

I have a i7 860 (OC from 2.80 to 3.80), a GTX770 and 12GB of RAM. So my system is a notch superior on every aspect (except the i7 880, which is pretty similar), yet my settings are "medium to high" and my FPS are locked at 30 on FSX.

Flying the PMDG 777 during an approach, FPS will frequently drop to 20. From what I've read and heard, the NGX has a bigger hit on FPS than the 777. This is on FSX, so I don't know how it would perform on P3D.

I think that your system will be already "old" once you put it together. Just my humble opinion.

BTW: Why an i7 880? That's a first generation i7, those are at least 6 years old already.

I forgot to say you don't need more than 8GB for P3D though. Being 32bit it can only use up to 4GB. Unless you're heavily multi-tasking, 8GB should be okay.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the reply,

I already consider my system old lol

The reason for going with the I7 880 if I were to upgrade would be because my mother board can't handle anything over that, so to upgrade to a better cpu I'd have to buy a new mother board, and at the moment the funds just arnt agreeing with that lol..

Thanks everyone for the comments,

Keep em coming if you want to chime in.

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the reply,

I already consider my system old lol

The reason for going with the I7 880 if I were to upgrade would be because my mother board can't handle anything over that, so to upgrade to a better cpu I'd have to buy a new mother board, and at the moment the funds just arnt agreeing with that lol..

Thanks everyone for the comments,

Keep em coming if you want to chime in.

If you don't purchase every add on airport and piece of scenery they see  and load it into P3D from day one, like many do, it should run fine on your system. 

If you don't purchase every add on airport and piece of scenery they see  and load it into P3D from day one, like many do, it should run fine on your system.

No not planning on loading everything into it, I'm only planning on throwing a few things into it, but nothing too intense, I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be able to have an enjoyable experience with my flight sim "standards and expectations". I'm ok with turning sliders down.

No not planning on loading everything into it, I'm only planning on throwing a few things into it, but nothing too intense, I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be able to have an enjoyable experience with my flight sim "standards and expectations". I'm ok with turning sliders down.

Just for info, here is what I run on a typical flight/ 

UTX USA Canada and Europe for scenery

Soft Clouds

GSX

ASN

Pro ATC X

My Traffic 6

PMDG 737

FS 2 Crew 

737 Immersion

PreciptFX

Orbiz Trees

Acars

I have a really smooth running sim.. No stutters at all.

Thanks for the info,

That seems like a pretty good mix of add-one that would be similar to what I would be looking at running, I'd definetly be looking at running

Pmdg 737

Majestic dash 8

ASN

UTX Canada

And probably be looking at ground environment

May be a few things here and there that I would add but those would be my must haves I think.