Sign in to follow this  
Pocket sized rocket scient

Wondering whether I should get P3D or FSX

My first Sim was FSX, but after a few thousand hours lost it to hard drive failure.

I've been hooked on XP10 for the past 3 years and want to spice up my flight Sim experience a bit. XP's flight model is amazing but there are quite a few things to be desired, mainly graphics.

I think I'll go for P3D v3, which is why I'm posting here. I have been weighing the pros and cons between it and FSX. But again, I'm definitely leaning towards P3D.

The good:

1. Overall graphics performance is higher than FSX but has a much higher graphics "ceiling" so to speak.

2. Simple aircraft and other add-ons made for FSX will work in P3D. Excluded are aircraft that use an external flight model, some (all?) custom plug-ins, etc.

3. Most of the default aircraft are of higher quality in P3D.

4. FSX had a simple built in multiplayer, does P3D share servers with FSX? Does it even have built in multiplayer?

The bad:

1. P3D uses the same control configuration menu as FSX. I tried the FSX demo and had a hell of a time setting up just 4 of my axis. This would be bad news for me, as I fly with up to 50 button/key binds and 9 axis.

2. Related to the above, my Saitek X55 won't work properly without buying FSUIPC. This is backed up by issues I experienced in the FSX demo and numerous forum threads.

3. The flight model is largely identical to that of FSX, but has some improvements... turboprop and helo simulation is still less than perfect.

So, what did I get wrong? Anything big that I missed? Feel free to ask for clarification, as I typed this rather quickly and while half asleep. Not to mention this is my first post on AVSim...

If you are coming from XP10, just get P3D.

There's a reason Orbx is forecasting that 85% of their users will be on a P3D 3 by years end. As long as you have a good video card, there's no reason to even consider FSX.

I use XP10 and P3D 3.2. XP10 is cool, but you'll enjoy the more completeness of P3D in many ways.

• Upvote 2

P3D uses the same control configuration menu as FSX.

Actually it doesn't ... FSX "calibration" sends you to the OS calibrate dialog.  P3D V3.x calibration works independently an one MUST use the P3D calibration dialog in order for their control devices to work correctly.

There is A LOT more good not listed (too much for me to list).  There is a minor change to flight models (primarily increase in the rate of altitude loss during turns).

If you are into 3rd party content, then the sales numbers I've seen indicate majority 3rd party content sales is definitely in P3D's favor and that margin continues to expand weekly.  Is P3D V3.2 perfect, no, but it continues to improve with each new version/update with considerable development resources actively working the platform.  There are many new features in P3D that have gone untouched ... meaning 3rd party have left them alone ... for now ... this will likely change and I'd expect to see some of those new features put to good use (SpeedTrees, Dynamic Reflections) ... take a look at newer titles like KMEM from FSDT

It'll take devs some time to explore what is new and exploit the benefits of P3D and utilize that in new content.

Cheers, Rob.

P3D. I have a somewhat older computer with an unimpressive graphics card and get FAR better performance out of P3D, even with pretty decent clouds and cloud shadows on.

Just curious as to what your system specs are?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Actually it doesn't ... FSX "calibration" sends you to the OS calibrate dialog. P3D V3.x calibration works independently an one MUST use the P3D calibration dialog in order for their control devices to work correctly.

There is A LOT more good not listed (too much for me to list). There is a minor change to flight models (primarily increase in the rate of altitude loss during turns).

I am so glad to hear that. One of the most cumbersome things about setting up controls in FSX was the tedious calibration process.

I tried to list stuff that I wasn't sure about, for instance I know P3D has way more resources to put towards graphics than XP10 & has a larger community thanks to its partial compatibility with FSX.

P3D is like looking through the windshield in a car. You can see what is ahead of you. FSX is like looking in the rear view mirror. 

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Actually it doesn't ... FSX "calibration" sends you to the OS calibrate dialog. P3D V3.x calibration works independently an one MUST use the P3D calibration dialog in order for their control devices to work correctly.

Hi Rob, would you mind elaborating on this?

I am in the process of re/installing X-Plane and FSX and installing for the first time P3D v3, which I just purchased.  Among my recent purchases was FSUIPC, which besides all the good stuff it brings, one of the goals I had was for joystick calibration, assignments, mappings, etc.

What I especially liked was the ability to store different control assignments for different aircfraft. If I now *have* to use P3Ds internal sytem, does that mean I will lose this feature..?

P3D "native" without FSUIPC will allow you to store as many aircraft specific assignments as you like to configure ... use the Export and Import option in P3D controls section.

The control calibration section of P3D is also very important to ensure full range of motion.

With that said, FSUIPC does bring you more control (i.e. setting detente for flap positions) ... you don't lose anything with either method, they work together and can conflict together if you have different items assigned to the same operation.

You can use P3D exclusively, or FSUIPC exclusively, or a combination of both.  FSUIPC is more robust in that it can detect and load profiles automatically based on the aircraft you have loaded ... you would need to do this manually with native P3D.

I can provide more details later, in the office today so tied up.

Cheers, Rob.

Just curious as to what your system specs are?

Hi Gerry-

I have a Dell Dimension XPS 8300, Windows 7 Home Premium, i5-2320@3ghz, 16 gigs ram,  GeForce GTX 550Ti.

I also have Massive Scenery installed, so there's no Autogen, even though it's on 50% setting.

Running Active Sky Next.

Is there a way I can output my P3D settings to share?

FSX DX10 with Steve's DX10 fixer app is very good.  I would not go back to straight FSX because the water is so much better.

Still getting ready to pull the trigger on P3D 3 but some of the issues users report are concerning yet I'm sure it will prevail.

Regards

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Hi Gerry-

I have a Dell Dimension XPS 8300, Windows 7 Home Premium, i5-2320@3ghz, 16 gigs ram, GeForce GTX 550Ti.

I also have Massive Scenery installed, so there's no Autogen, even though it's on 50% setting.

Running Active Sky Next.

Is there a way I can output my P3D settings to share?

Thanks for responding.

I was asking cause I started a thread a couple down from this one in order to compare my system with others and try to get a feel for what my mediocre system should be able to pump out using p3d. I'm setting up to invest in a new flight sim coming from fs9.

• Upvote 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel.