Sign in to follow this  
jayfresh

ILS Approach Advice?

I have had the same problem with the new ngx.At one time it did not lock to the loc n the glideslope n my aircraft was off course n too high.  I wrote to pmdg n they told me to look at the tutorial which i did but i am doing everything ok to me

I have had the same problem with the new ngx.At one time it did not lock to the loc n the glideslope n my aircraft was off course n too high.  I wrote to pmdg n they told me to look at the tutorial which i did but i am doing everything ok to me

Full names in the PMDG forums please.  You may want to start a new thread.  Very few will want to take the time to read this old thread all the way through to see what your "same problem" is, and when you start your thread be sure to share what you are doing and what you expect to happen and what the problem is.  Just "same problem" doesn't say much.

[MOD Edit: Post was made prior to these posts being split out into new thread by mod.]

Dan Downs KCRP

To intercept the GS you have to be under it.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

To intercept the GS you have to be under it.  

You can intercept from above or below. Of course it's easier to intercept from below, but the F/D will capture either way.

Matt Cee

Make sure you have VORLOC and G/S armed in roll and pitch FMAs and you are using HDGSEL in engaged roll FMA to intercept the ILS. If you are using LNAV and VNAV in roll and pitch FMAs and have FAC and G/P armed, a conflict will occur. You will end up off course and too high especially if your altimeter is not set correctly.

I will give a schematic instruction that should work. Note to the PROs, this is very simplified and not exhaustive, in other words, I'm not going to teach what a Flap Maneuvering Speed is if the OP doesn't know how to fly an ILS.

Choose a "standard" airport, for example, KSEA and runway 36R for your test flight. Position the aircraft on the runway. Tune the ILS frequency on the NAV receiver and set the inbound course on the MCP (both under CRS and under HDG). Make sure both Flight Director's are ON.

Take off using the AT on TOGA, climb to 2000 feet. Once you level select 220 knots and flaps up. Your modes on the FMA (green annunciators on top of your PFD) should read: SPD | HDG SEL | ALT HLD (or just ALT, don't remember)

When you reach 2000 feet, turn left 90 degrees to heading 270. Fly this heading for 1 minute or 2 to get some space between you and the runway centerline extension.

Turn left 90 degrees to heading 180. Now you're in a downwind leg. Fly this heading until you're 20 nm from the ILS.

Roll the speed down to 180 knots and select flaps 5. Arm your speedbrakes.

Turn left 90 degrees. Wait 30 seconds. Turn left 60 degrees. Now you're in an intercept heading of 30º to the localizer.

Arm LOC on the MCP. You should see a white "LOC" flag underneath the green "HDG SEL"

Once you come close enough, the localizer needle will move towards you and LOC will engage in green on the FMA. The aircraft will turn to intercept the localizer.

Arm the G/S: To do that, hit the "APP" button on the MCP. Note the white "G/S" underneath the green "ALT HOLD" flag.

When the G/S diamond starts moving, select gear down and flaps 20, slow down to 160 knots.

When the G/S diamond is close to the center watch the flag becoming green on the FMA, select flaps 30 and roll the speed down to 145. Your aircraft is now established on the ILS. To do an autoland you should arm the second AP but for that you must have selected the ILS freq. on BOTH nav receivers. Or else you can let it fly down to 500 feet, disconnect AT and AP and land manually.

Hope this helps.

And please, don't try to save on keystrokes: Write "and" instead of "n".

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I have had the same problem with the new ngx.At one time it did not lock to the loc n the glideslope n my aircraft was off course n too high. I wrote to pmdg n they told me to look at the tutorial which i did but i am doing everything ok to me

Hi, jayfresh,

In the forum where you originally posted, the problem discussed was that the aircraft was turning the wrong way when capturing the localizer.  Is that your issue?  If so, it's probably an AFCAD issue.

If it's just an issue of getting lined up properly, Jaime's excellent mini-tutorial should work just fine.

I do want to add that you certainly can be in LNAV/VNAV with LOC or APPR armed, and capture the localizer and GS.  You just have to be sure that the LNAV and VNAV paths are setting you up properly in altitude and direction to intercept LOC & GS.

PS: PMDG wants you to use your full name in its forums.  Otherwise they may delete your posts.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2