Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Communications: VHFs, RTPs, ACPs etc.

Hello all,

I recorded a little video explaining the Basic Communications systems of the Boeing 777 and wanted to share it with the community. I believe it might shed some light to many people who are insecure about how these whole bunch of knobs and switches aft of the thrust levers work.

Index:
00:00 - Introduction
01:53 - FSX/PMDG Integration and Configuration
03:53 - Communications System Overview
06:17 - VHF Radios
08:26 - Radio Tuning Panels (RTPs)
13:30 - Audio Control Panels (ACPs)
21:35 - ATIS Reception Example
25:03 - Online Flying and Radio Tuning
  • Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Tell me if I understand this correctly:

On the Audio Control Panel, if I press the fourth button from the left (MIC button lights up), I will be talking to the ground crew? (will I also need to have the right frequency on the radio panel?)

If I press the 5th button, I will be able to speak to the person at the flight attendant station?

If I press the 6th button, I will be able to speak to the passengers?

Does that necessarily mean I will be able to hear them, or do I need to enable the monitoring for these places as well?

The speaking is controlled by the active MIC button, the hearing is dependent on the volume control immediately below; except PA which is usually just a "megaphone."  You can listen to many at once, but only one hot MIC at a time.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello all,

I recorded a little video explaining the Basic Communications systems of the Boeing 777 and wanted to share it with the community. I believe it might shed some light to many people who are insecure about how these whole bunch of knobs and switches aft of the thrust levers work.

Index:
00:00 - Introduction
01:53 - FSX/PMDG Integration and Configuration
03:53 - Communications System Overview
06:17 - VHF Radios
08:26 - Radio Tuning Panels (RTPs)
13:30 - Audio Control Panels (ACPs)
21:35 - ATIS Reception Example
25:03 - Online Flying and Radio Tuning

great video, thanks for taking the time to make this.

PJ

On the Audio Control Panel, if I press the fourth button from the left (MIC button lights up), I will be talking to the ground crew? (will I also need to have the right frequency on the radio panel?)

Hi Damian. The "FLT" channel is the ground crew interphone. There's no frequency associated with it, it's not a radio, it's an interphone.

My mistake for not making the distinction in the video between radio and interphone. An interphone is, like the name implies, just an "internal phone". There are calling stations all through the cabin of the aircraft and each station has its "phone number", there's the ground crew interphone which rings a horn near the nose wheel. This is the kind of system that is so easily understood when in the real aircraft but difficult to grasp from a computer.

Does that necessarily mean I will be able to hear them, or do I need to enable the monitoring for these places as well?

When the MIC is pushed in, you don't "need" to turn the respective receiver on as it's automatically turned on.

However, it's good practice to leave the receiver on in case you change your MIC channel and still want to receive. For example, you always want to receive the VHF1 radio regardless of where your MIC is. See Dan's comment :)

great video, thanks for taking the time to make this.

Thanks PJ! Glad you enjoyed :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F