Sign in to follow this  
StopYourself

Crash to Desktop after pressing Fly Now

1.  Running DX9 normally without fixer = no problem, FSX:SE runs fine.

2.  Running DX10 with Libraries = FSX starts, but after pressing Fly Now, black screen and then crash to desktop.

3.  Running DX10 withOUT Libraries = same result as #2.

I have Windows 10.  I'm running 2 monitors and I had the multiple monitors option checked/set in Nvidia Inspector.

I've read instructions and watched videos and scanned this forum. I will continue to do so and I will try again.  But in meantime, i wanted to start this post in case there's something I'm missing or doing wrong or if there's something I can send.  

Thanks for your support.

Nick 

Order Number:  STE160414-5795-37116

Ok, that means that dx10preview doesn't work on your system.

The most likely culprit is an add on dll. The fixer checks for all the common issues that I am aware of, but ther may still be others. The best start may be to the crash to desktop forum and follow the instructions there to determine where the crash is occurring.

Can you confirm that you have 2 monitors but just one gpu?

I have two monitors but just one GPU.  One GeForce GTX 970

Is there a reason besides an add on dll for my system not working with DX10?

Here's a list of my add-ons:

PMDG 737

REX 4

Active Sky Next

EZDock

FSPassengers

FlyTampa - Midway Airport

MyTraffic X

Frustrating but willing to keep trying here to get it going!  

I understand and that is why I  stress on the purchase page to ensure that DX10 preview works on your system before purchase as its impossible for me to help diagnose and fix people's systems remotely - it can be a  driver issue, a dll or a power issue to the GPU even.

Once you have DX10 preview working I can then assist with issues related to my product.

The first step is that you need to determine where the crash is occurring by examining the windows logs - as suggested above there is a helpful CTD forum here at avsim which can assist.

The other approach is to try and install fsx:se on another computer and test there without addons and/or try and reduce complexity by running initially on a single monitor on your existing system and build up from there.

I'll perform the steps to diagnose the crash through the forum you suggested.  For sure.

Quick question/comment about DX10 Preview.  When you say to test DX10 Preview working on the system, do you mean running FSX with the DX10 Preview button checked?  If so, then yes, I've been running FSX with the DX10 Preview button checked with no problems.  

Heading to the CTD forums now! Thanks again.  (By the way, to be clear, I'm not frustrated with you or your product at all!)

Hi yes that's indeed what I mean.

When dx10 preview is ticked you are using the fsx dx10 engine and the original dx10 shaders.

When you install the fixer it doesn't change anything in fsx.

When you install the libraries it makes a couple of changes to two textures and then installs some libraries whose purpose is to modify shaders. Then when you run in dx10 preview you are using the fsx core engine and modified shaders which fix issues. As these run on the gpu they cannot cause a CTD on the cpu.

When you uninstall the fixer it reverts the couple of texture changes and reverts to the original shaders so you should be back to where you were.

So I consider running without the fixer libraries to be exactly the same as running in DX10preview.

Thus my view ( correct or not) is that something changed between dx10 preview working and the fixer being installed.

If you tested in dx10preview immediately before trying the fixer then that logic seems less convincing.

Now having said that there is a slight difference because the dx10 shader cache is deleted so fsx has to recompile the dx10 shaders again.

Now I am pondering what if your fsx system/driver couldn't compile shaders but could run previously compiled shaders. However it has to compile a couple of shaders to show the free flight screen so I struggle to see how that be. If a shader source itself was corrupted that would just cause some objects to appear black but wouldn't cause a CTD.

What Nvidia driver do you have?

There are a number of reports on the steam support site of people with similar CTDs with Windows 10 and fsx se in dx9. I half wonder if you deleted your dx9 shader cache (I am not suggesting you try this) it would then fail to run in dx9??

Hello Steve, 

I have exactly the same problem as described before by StopYourself. Funny though:

I have just migrated from FSX Boxed to FSX Steam. With FSX Boxed everything was fine and stable. 

FSX Steam

GPU: GTX 750 TI (Driver 376.09)

Now when I start the flight FSXSE just flickers and shuts down - without writing an event in the windows event log. I get .mdmp-Files (e.g. fsx_62615_crash_2016_12_3T10_40_46C0.mdmp), though. 

I haven't found usable information on this issue yet... Anything I can try?

Best regards

Christopher

I would uninstall the fixer from your fsxse system and focus on getting fsxse to work first.

It's possible I think to get issues if you removed some but not all of your fsx installation before installing fsxse.

I would either install fsxse alongside fsx, or completely remove fsx, full uninstall plus then cleanup registry entries and any directories e.g pilot log book.

I uninstalled FSX after a brief check that FSXSE was working - however before installing your Fixer AND checking DX10. 

I will uninstall everything now - get rid of everything and then start installing just fsxse. 

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, completely erasing FSX and all traces of it from the system and re-installing vanilla FSX:SE has not helped. I have filed a ticket with Dovetail - I see how it goes...

Hi Steve, 

I only have one computer that is capable of running FSX:SE - so I haven't tried it on another computer. There seem to be a lot of very stable FSX:SE installations with DX10 out there...

BTW, Dovetail Support wrote this (not extremely helpful):

"Hello,

We are sorry that you have this issue. We recommend to our customers that they toggle between having DX10 preview on and off to see what works for them, if it doesn't work turned on, then you may need to play it with the preview turned off. We apologise for the inconvenience of this matter, however due to it being quite an old sim, it will struggle with newer hardware and this is a way of managing it.
If you have any other queries, please let us know.

Kind Regards,
xxx
Dovetail Games Support"

I am still researching. 

Best regards

Christopher

Got an event entry for the first time now:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00100043
Faulting process ID: 0x1aec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2509234859545
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\API.DLL
Report ID: fbc9eefb-03dc-4c56-9cba-251ebf04542e
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

So, I'll research API.DLL. However, 'faulting module' is not always at fault...

So, I have found the cause: It's my dual monitor setup. After deactivating my second monitor in Windows display settings it works now! 

It would be much better if 2 monitors worked, though. However, I suppose, that's not something that DX10Fixer can achieve. 

Thanks anyway. 

Best regards

Christopher

I only use 1 GPU. However, after disabling my second monitor and getting it to work - I could actually reenable my second monitor and it still works. So there must have been some hiccup in the display settings that has now been fixed. Might work for other people with the same problem, too. 

• Upvote 1