Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

sr22 version 2.0 unable to use IAS function

I have installed the new version 2.0 of the sr22.  I can not seem to get the IAS function to work.  The manual says " IAS key- either ALT or VS should be on.

I have found that if I turn on the IAS button, it turns OFF the VS or ALT selection.  In fact pressing the IAS causes the plane to lose control and start a step climb.  I have it trimmed out before pressing the IAS button.

Bottom line it either does not work, or I do not understand how to use it.  Any one else see how to use this function?

Thanks,

Jim

I'm having lots of trouble with the vertical modes of the autopilot also (failure to capture altitudes in IAS and VS modes, erratic behavior of the UP/DN wheel, and reset of the selected altitude to the current altitude when the ALT button is pressed), as well as lots of erratic behavior from the cursor control knob on the control unit. 

Bob Wacker

I guess it is time to submit a support ticket to Carenado. 

Jim

It's the same issue that we've seen on so many Carenado and Alabeo planes, with their IAS / FLC mode.

When you hit 'IAS', the flight mode annunciator appears to show that the speed at the time of engagement has been held.  But in fact, the code behind this, always selects an airspeed of 0kts, when IAS is selected.   So the aircraft will pitch up increasingly, as it's aiming for an airspeed of 0kts!

The workaround, is that you have to engage IAS, and then immediately click either up or down on the pitch wheel.  (And as far as I know, this has to be done on the 2D panel of the AP).

Hitting up or down on the pitch wheel immediately after IAS engagement, then sets the current speed. (as should happen as soon as you press just 'IAS' alone).

Hope this makes sense.

I've reported this so many times to them (as I believe Bert Pieke has also).   .... still it's the case on each new release.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

OK Carenado told me that if the speed you select is below your current speed, then the aircraft will nose up so as to try to reduce the speed.  Carenado said that is the way it should work!

OK I have done some more testing.  Level flight, steady speed.  This time I selected a HIGHER speed thinking the plane would pitch down to gain speed.  Nope, it pitched up and lost speed!.

I also tried your idea by clicking on the pitch wheel.  For me this made no difference either.

The manual they provided says "IAS key- either ALT or VS should be on."  I find it impossible to have either the ALT or the VS selected.  As soon as I press the IAS button, it turns both the ALT and VS selection OFF.

The manual they provided says "IAS key- either ALT or VS should be on." I find it impossible to have either the ALT or the VS selected. As soon as I press the IAS button, it turns both the ALT and VS selection OFF.

You cannot have VS and IAS on at the same time - they are contrasting ways of climbing/descending.  Either the aircraft is climbing/descending according the vertical speed rate, or according to airspeed rate.    I think what the manual is saying is that VS must be on first, at the time IAS is selected.    When IAS is selected, VS will naturally turn off.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Yes, I understand that that the VS will turn off.  But, I can not get the airplane to capture and hold a selected airspeed.  I thought the idea was to use the IAS button to hold a steady speed during a climb or descent.  This does not happen for me.

jim

The annunciator on the AP used to work on the other version now the light is replace with the tag. IN THE REAL PLANE...the light is the indicator(s)

From the Garmin Perspective Manual

"status and mode annunciations that are simultaneously displayed on both the Perspective™system AFCS Status Box and the S-TEC Fifty Five X Autopilot Display and/or Remote Annunciator Display, the Perspective™system displays an additional status annunciation of ‘AP’ when the autopilot is engaged. This provides the pilot with a dedicated annunciation showing the status of the autopilot engagement"