Sign in to follow this  
Flying Kiwi

Aircraft Appearing Under Wrong Publisher

I'm having a problem in which a small number of my aircraft are appearing under the wrong publisher. This seems to be occurring when I have aircraft of the same type, but by different publishers.

For example, I have the payware Vickers Viscount 800 by Just Flight, but also a freeware Vickers Viscount 800 by Jens Kristensen ("JBK"). The latter appears under "JBK" as it should, but the Just Flight Viscount also appears under "JBK"! Yet when I open the aircraft configuration file for the Just Flight Viscount, there is a line for every livery that says "ui_createdby=Just Flight". And in the aircraft config file for the JBK Viscount has a line for every livery that says "ui_createdby=JBK"! So it just doesn't make any sense that the two should appear under the same publisher.

Another example: I have a BAe 146-200 by Just Flight, and a BAe 146-200 by Premier Aircraft Design. Both lots of aircraft appear under Premier Aircraft Design! Yet I have a Just Flight BAe 146-300, and that appears under "Just Flight" as it should. Perhaps it helps that I don't have a PAD 146-300 (I think they've only done the 146-100 and 146-200). Once again, the "ui_createdby" line in the aircraft config file is correct in both cases.

Here is yet another puzzle: I have British Aerospace Jetstream 31s by both Premier Aircraft Design and Virtualcol. The PAD Jetstream 31 appears under "Premier Aircraft Design", but the Virtualcol Jetstream 31 does not appear under either "Premier Aircraft Design" or "Virtualcol FS Software"! Yet if I select "British Aerospace" in the "Aircraft manufacturer" menu, then both the PAD and Virtualcol Jetstreams appear. Again, the correct "ui_createdby" line is in the aircraft config files for both sets of aircraft.

Last but not least, FSX insists on classifying some publishers as "Unknown" even when the correct ui_createdby line is in the aircraft config file. This is the case for instance with a handful of Dash 8-100s and Saab 340Bs by Premier Aircraft Design, and also, bizarrely, Saab 340Fs by Virtualcol (I'm pretty sure though that the Virtualcol Saab 340Fs did appear under "Virtualcol FS Software" before I got the PAD Saabs). I had to add the ui_createdby lines in manually for those (except the Virtualcol Saabs), yet they remain stubbornly classified under "Unknown". Yet I manually added ui_createdby lines for other aircraft by both JBK and PAD, and they duly went from "Unknown" to their correct publisher.

About 95% of all my aircraft, including ones whose aircraft config files I had to edit with ui_createdby lines, are listed under their correct publishers. So it's just a small number that remain troublesome. For the life of me, I can't work out why they won't go under the correct publisher. There is probably something wrong with the config files of either the freeware or payware aircraft (more likely the former), but I simply cannot figure out what that would be. Why won't FSX recognise the ui_createdby line for these particular aircraft, and why does it put some aircraft under entirely the wrong publisher even when the correct ui_createdby line is present? Many thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this most perplexing mystery.

UI MANUFACTURER line is what you want to look at

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

UI MANUFACTURER line is what you want to look at

"ui_manufacturer" is for the actual aircraft manufacturer (Vickers, British Aerospace etc.). As far as I can tell, these lines are all present and correct in the affected aircraft config files. So that can't be it.

Make sure that the content of the "title=" line of every Viscount repaint that you have installed is unique.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Interesting thread!  I have now discovered I have 31 aircraft from various "Publishers" that appear in the Aircraft

Selection screen as publisher "Unknown" including several default 737-800 aircraft.  I would have thought that

Project Opensky would have appeared as a known publisher.  No problems with Thomas Ruth-Eric Cantu-Simmersky,

etc.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I do know that all liveries in an aircraft.cfg will use the ui_createdby= in the [fltsim.0] section, regardless of what is in the other sections.

Perhaps the unknown entries are lacking that line in the [fltsim.0] section?

I guess it is possible that FSX sees all liveries of a certain airplane type as the same in regards to the Publisher.

RE: the BAe 146-200, is the PAD folder listed before the JF folder, alphabetically?

If so, try renaming the JF folder by adding an underscore to the beginning of the folder name- "_JF BAe 146-200" or whatever the folder is actually named. This will move the folder to the top of the list, so it gets read first.

After testing, don't forget to change it back to the original name, as doing so will break any aliases, if there are any.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif