Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Is THIS type of functionality possible in GMAX?

In this case I'll use the upcoming PSS 777 as an example:With the impending release of the PSS 777 there are more than quite of few simmers already looking forward to merging the "fully funtional" PSS 777 2D pit with the visually stunning Meljet 777 visual model. Not to mention that because PSS is modeling the T7-LR and LRF model, not ONE US flag carrier is liveried at this time.Many of us now refuse to use the 2D cockpit at all, for one reason or another so we are forever tied to the visual model and available liveries in which the 3D pit is rendered for better or for worse, but undoubted without any flexibility. There is no flexibility as is available with the 2D pits which is probably the biggest drawback to the VC...And then a light bulb came on (I'm getting old so the lightbulb is kinda dim) :-badteeth: Is it possible to develop the visual model in a "modularized manner" in which you can develop your visual model in a development tool such as GMAX, but then leave defined areas in which another developer can then develop things such as a 3D cockpit, 3D cabin, 3D wing views, etc and then "drop" them into the predefined areas in the originial visual model?So for instance in the case of Meljet, if this were possible, the 2D visual model is completed but the 3D VC and cabin views are defined in the model in terms of area to be occupied and left, for lack of a better word, open. A third party then takes those dimensions and develops a 3D cockpit, etc that fits in that space and links to the original aircraft.cfg and .mdl file.The end result being, you now have transportability of the 3D space to various compatible aircraft. Obviously this doesn't yet exsist, but I'd like to hear from those in the know if this is even remotely possible.Thanks for your ear.Regards,Mike T.

The short answer is no.The longer answer is no, it is not possible in any modeling program. Once compiled, a .mdl is not "modifiable" by anyone who doesn't have the source code to work with. With a bit of care, one can remove things from the .mdl, but no amount of hacking will allow for the addition of new things.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

It's a sweet idea Mike, and one I personally have wanted in FS for awhile, though I wasn't sure of the wording. A major problem I see with that would be people putting a 777 VC into a Piper Cub or something, and then filling the FS Help forums with all sorts of chuckle-inducing mirth and mayhem. Mayhem that includes all sorts of catastrophies.Imagine, if you will, a recipe consisting of two parts Boeing airliner and one part Lockheed F16. A Recipe so disturbing, so law-suit-inducing, so failure prone, that the mere mention raises havoc in certain quarters of the internet. A recipe only possible in....the FS Zone....Yikes. Good idea, but probably a FSDev nightmare :-lol :-lol-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark DogfighterHappy Flying!Pilot-The friction locks are causing the throttle levers to stick.Mechanic- Umm, that's what they're there for...