Sign in to follow this  
b200

Help to Test SimConnect in P3Dv3.2

I need to test Simconnect over a networked aka client computer with the server running P3Dv3.2

My overall objective is to get ActiveSkyNext(ASN) latest version B5921 on a client computer to communicate with my Server aka P3Dv3.2 computer.

ASN gives me the status as trying to connect with the simulator but never connects.

I have read through all the forums and ASN manual with a fine tooth comb.

I need to confirm that Simconnect is working over the network (static IP 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.11)

I have installed all 4 simconnect versions (FSXRTM, FSXSP1, FSXSP2-Xpack and ESP)

Previous forums say simconnect can be tested with AITraffic but this program is not included with P3Dv3.2, there are CPP, Project build files  and a filters and plan file but no simple .exe file.

The FSUIPC log file can see Simconnect 3.2.0.0 but that is from the server, I need to confirm simconnect from the client

Can somebody please offer any advice as to how I can test Simconnect over a network.

Usually, the first thing I do when debugging connection issues is to disable the firewall on both machines to see if it's causing the problem. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have tried that, disabled the firewalls on both computers and opened every port.

Both computers are running Win 10.

1st and foremost. network configured properly. File sharing, group name etc. Test Read from and write to shared files.

At first I was all excited about making use of a second computer to display various adjunct programs via wideFS and SimConnect. I thought it would relieve my main computer of a significant portion of the performance demand caused by these add-ons.

I have since read that many folks saying that the advantages of running a remote computer for things like EFB and air traffic control, and weather like ActiveSkyNext, are questionable, and really don't back any performance in your main machine.

That being said, what is the purpose of your having a remote program running SimConnect or wideFS?

Cheers

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

That being said, what is the purpose of your having a remote program running SimConnect or wideFS?

For me I run Aivlasoft and/or EFASS on it.  Not only to offload resources, but for the extra screen.  Seems to work well enough...no hassles so far.  My second computer is a laptop so I can drag it upstairs and do flightplanning, see what sectors are open on IVAO, yadayada.  All in all, it's not bad.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

if you have a tablet, IOS or android... you could leave the laptop where it is and use Splastop to run your laptop remotely,

BTW...do you have Aivlasoft EFB? If so, Are you running it remotely?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

download Plan-G V3 (free) and set it up over anetwork, it uses simconnect to conect the client to the server , I assume you have a simconnect.xml already in the server ...correct?.

Jorge

I am running Prosim737.

My aim is to run the main Prosim module, sounds, MCP  and visuals (P3D v3.2) on my main computer. I am trying to offload everything else to the client, this includes the Prosim CDU, Captain and Copilot displays (Hardware displays) and I have screens for the overhead as well, also there is an instructors station.

Prosim is working fine over the network, its works via IP addresses and FSUIPC I believe

I just cant seem to get Activesky Next to run.

I can read and write to all the necessary folders.

So I need a way to confirm simconnect is running correctly then I can troubleshoot from there.

I will try Jorge's idea of running Plan-G.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Hey Jorge, Plan G works fine over the network, with SimConnect, IPv4, ip of server/P3D 10.0.0.10, port 500

still cant get ASN B5921 to run.

Will run through the ASN  setup manual and try again.

In you C:\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\ : Have you put the simconnect.xml here?

From the top of my head, what you need for it to work is this (not at my Sim-computer atm, so can't verify the points bellow. Don't kill me.)

1. Simconnect needs to be installed. It can be installed from the P3D-client install folder\redist. Needs to be installed on the server (your P3D-machine) and the client (the ASN-machine).

2. Simconnect.xml and ini needs to be put in the AppData dir on the server, and in the root install folder of ASN on the client. (The ini and xml should also be in the Prepar3D folder under Documents if I remember correctly)

3. The selected port needs to be opened in Windows firewall. Since the simconnect is started as part of Prepar3D, it *should* be allowed through the firewall if you let P3D through your firewall when asked by Windows.

One way of debugging the network and firewall side of this, is to fire up P3D on the server, and run a telnet client (the Windows one or Putty), and attempt a connection from the client to the server on the simconnect port (i.e 5000). The syntax in Windows Telenet is from cmd.exe:

Telnet *enter*

Open %ip or computername% %port% *enter*

I.e : OPEN P3DSERVER 5000 *enter*

You will get some scrambled garbage via telnet in return - since it's not a telnet session, but at least you know that your network and firewall is not the problem:)

I found the problem.

The SimConnect.cfg file on the client machine for ASN_P3D now needs to be placed into a different location.

[simConnect]
Protocol=Ipv4
Address=10.0.0.10  (my server IP)
Port=500
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0

It use to be in C:/users/NAME/Documents

Now it simply resides where ASN is

C:\...HiFi\ASNext_P3D