Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

AWACS

Guest Californiapilot

Hello everyone!I am looking for someone who can tell me how a typical AWACS flight (don't care in what aircraft) looks like (Europe and US). Do they fly a certain circuit or is it just a straight flight? I know what the operating bases of the AWACS in the US and Europe are but where do they mainly fly (to)?Thanks in advance,Ralph

Guest Bassy

Sorry Ralph,That is "Classified" information, if I told you "they" would jail me...

Guest Californiapilot

Ok I'm not that much interested in the locations, at least tell me how a flight looks like (take off from base--> flying to a certain area--->flying oval/cirlce patrons (how big??)????). I ask this because I've just received the Captainsim 707 package wich includes an E3A.

Ralph: Did you do a Google search? You're bound to get tens-of-thousands of hits on this subject and probably the specific data that you're seeking.-GeorgeM at 5B6

Guest Californiapilot

I did, couldn't find the info where I was looking for. Only a lot about FOB's but that's not exactly what I was looking for.

Guest daveg4otu

This is off the top of my head but - purely from what I have read , a typical flight to a location in, say ,the Middle East would take off from wherever ( EG Mildenhall UK) fly to a holding position maybe several hundred miles outside(far enough away not to get shot at by anyone or anything) a possible area of interest or where air activity was expected and look at things from that point while flying a fairly large racetrack pattern. After many hours of orbitting , watching,etc, they would fly back to base. From the pilots point of view it sounds mind-numbingly boring.Hope this helpsDave