Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

B744 Cockpit Visit For Grown Man

So, I booked a flight on the United 747 from ORD to SFO before it's retired. Can't believe I'm asking this, but is it weird for a grown a** man to ask to visit the cockpit? How about asking for a picture in the captain's seat? Would pre-flight or post-flight be best?

Not at all!

I always ask to visit the cockpit when boarding and even go the extra mile and ask to stay throughout the flight. Unfortunately the captains only agree to that about a fourth of the time. But they usually always love showing passengers of all ages around the cockpit.

Ethan E.

So, I booked a flight on the United 747 from ORD to SFO before it's retired. Can't believe I'm asking this, but is it weird for a grown a** man to ask to visit the cockpit? How about asking for a picture in the captain's seat? Would pre-flight or post-flight be best?

Not sure how this is relevant to PMDG.

There's nothing wrong with asking to visit the flight deck. Whether the captain allows it or not is a different matter. It all depends how big their workload is and if they've got enough time. Post-flight is better for workload on the pilots, but worse because they just want to get home.

Good luck getting to sit in the Captain's seat. Chances of that are practically zero.

Get to the gate early and ask the crew what works best for them. You may miss them if you wait for them after flight. Also, its not weird at sll for a grown man yo ask what youre asking of. Its going to be rare opportunity and you dont want to miss out on it.

Last but not least, be honest woth the crew about your intentions. Be escited! Thats the coolest thing ever to see the flight deck of a 747! Dont hide thst for one second! Also, if youre bashful, they may think your weird. So own it! Own your excitement and be pumped about it!

Also, I'm based out of Chicago. Let me know when you're going on your flight. Maybe we can have a quick meet and greet.

Not sure how this is relevant to PMDG.

There's nothing wrong with asking to visit the flight deck. Whether the captain allows it or not is a different matter. It all depends how big their workload is and if they've got enough time. Post-flight is better for workload on the pilots, but worse because they just want to get home.

Good luck getting to sit in the Captain's seat. Chances of that are practically zero.

dude, you have no kdea what youre talking about. United pilots are pretty cool about this stuff. Theres probably a 100 percent chance he will be able to sit in the captain's seat.
  • Upvote 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

dude, you have no kdea what youre talking about. United pilots are pretty cool about this stuff. Theres probably a 100 percent chance he will be able to sit in the captain's seat.

I'll put money on it not happening.

I got to sit in the Captains set on an American 737-800 at KSNA while at the gate. Even go to do the TCAS test and Ann Lights test! Was super cool, he has a very good chance man. 

• Upvote 2

I'll put money on it not happening.

why wouldnt he? It makes no sense. Its just an airplane.
  • Upvote 2

Matt kubanda

why wouldnt he? It makes no sense. Its just an airplane.

Yeah why do airlines not let random strangers sit at the wheel of a few hundred million dollar aircraft with potentially a few hundred other people on board. Beats me!

This is what I do and it works for the flights and different airlines I've flown:

Go to the gate early and ask the pilots when they arrive for preflight.  

I would sit near the entrance to the gate and when pilots arrive, I'd ask if I could get a cockpit visit. The Chief Purser would usually be there as well, so when the pilots agreed, they also passed the message to the Purser so when I arrived at the aircraft for boarding, the Purser automatically got another attendant to take me to the cockpit. 

If it's a turnaround, the best time is to wait until everyone exits the aircraft and then ask. 

But bottom line - it's not weird at all! Pilots love explaining stuff to #avgeeks. Just remember - always get permission to touch anything. 

PS - for the Captain's seat - this works best if you ask after the flight. The pilots are getting out of there anyways so they usually agree. (also from my experience) - BUT varies from airlines to airlines and dependant on the pilots. The ones I've met are kind enough to allow me. But again, varies. 

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Yeah why do airlines not let random strangers sit at the wheel of a few hundred million dollar aircraft with potentially a few hundred other people on board. Beats me!

Not in flight, obviously. But there's hundreds of pictures, videos, etc of avgeeks getting to sit in the captains seat either before or after the flight. There isn't a "100%" chance of it happening, though, and that's definitely something you let the captain offer instead of asking yourself.  

My advice is to ask during the flight if you can visit after landing.

Pre flight is busy and there is enough distractions already.

Post flight you have a excellent chance of visiting the flight deck and sitting in one of the front seats.

You may miss out if the crew are busy dealing with defects or other post arrival issues that can come up.

You may also miss out if the crew is tired and or grumpy.

If you don't ask you don't get.

Good luck

You seriously didn't think he wanted to do that in flight did you? There's a reason most airlines allow the flight deck door to be opened after the engines are shut down. Just sayin...

Matt kubanda

You seriously didn't think he wanted to do that in flight did you? There's a reason most airlines allow the flight deck door to be opened after the engines are shut down. Just sayin...

When did I mention in flight. An aircraft is still a potentially dangerous piece of equipment even when it's parked up with the engines off.

Well, look at my picture on the left.  That's in a B737-300 Southwest Airlines.  I asked if it was ok to take a picture in the cockpit and the pilot agreed and told me to sit in his seat.  He asked me for my phone/camera and took that picture.  Then he squatted down and explained the overhead, etc to me.  This was in Tulsa between flights, (turn around).  I've also done the same on several flights.  On one flight they were ready to begin preflight ops and shut the cabin door with me still there.  I just shut up, realizing it was sterile cockpit time.  They let me out after the checklist readings.  I was told then that I could stay in the jump seat during the flight only if I was a certified pilot.  A lot of fun.

Enjoy you trip and God bless you.

• Upvote 1

United Airlines Captain let me sit in his seat on a 777 and have a photo taken after we had landed in Chicago. He saw me looking in the cockpit as I got off and invited me in.