Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

B744 Cockpit Visit For Grown Man

I rode the jumpseat once on a 747-200 we chartered to the Middle East. Awesome flight crew - a very eclectic mix of a Kiwi First Officer, Icelandic Captain and British Flight Engineer. These guys had seen a few things in their time and dropped off a few interesting loads!

Great to see the team dynamics between the three flight crew members for engine start and takeoff.

My first time sitting in the captain's seat was in 2011 when I came home from Toronto on a Westjet 737-800. Cool stuff. 

I always ask and even though I know the standard typical response is "sorry after 9/11 we're not allowed anymore blablabla", sometimes one might have some luck and get to sit in the jumpseat.

I've flown in the jumpseat a couple of times, and I didn't know the crew or anything. Just asked them politely when boarding. If it's a stewardess, say "Excuse me, could please be so kind and ask the Captain if I could have a quick look into the cockpit and say hello?". If you get in, introduce yourself, shake hands, be polite and also have something interesting to say, don't just stay there. On the ground they can "figure you out" and see if you're potentially dangerous or not. If they like you, they might offer you to stay. In flight they won't let you in probably.

One time I'm particularly happy of was an ATR-72 flight GCLA to GCXO, they flew pretty much visually, what a joy!

On another occasion on an Air Canada 767 when I got in I saw the IRS panel on the overhead, it was set to HDG and the number was "5", meaning 5 minutes to align the IRSs. I said "5 minutes to go there, don't forget your initial position in the FMC", they laughed and let me stay some minutes during the pre-flight. I couldn't stay for the flight though, but the crew was really great.

And I have a picture on the left seat of an Air Canada A320. They offered me to take the picture, it wasn't even me who asked for it! :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I got super lucky one time post 9-11, coming back from Paris to LAX on AFR 777-300 and they FA's knew I was a Private Pilot, I asked to see the cockpit once we landed whenever it was convienent, to my suprise the purser came back and I got the stand behind the flight crew on dsecent into LAX. We were descending out of FL190 and was up there for about 10 minutes! Talk about awesome!

This would never happen on a US carrier. 

When did I mention in flight. An aircraft is still a potentially dangerous piece of equipment even when it's parked up with the engines off.

your logic is still flawed at best. I let people take a look and sit in the seats if they want in my airplane. Im there to make sure they dont touch anything. If they want to touch stuff i tell them they need to ask first to make sute it wont hurt the plane. I havent had any issues. I have seen countless captains have zero issues with what the OP is requesting.

I dont know if you fly for an airline. If you do and thsts how you want to run your ship, great! Its your airplane and your rules prevail. However, its usually not like that in the states.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

The only time I've been told 'no' was back in 2003 by British. In their defense, it was only a few years after 9/11 and we'd just flown into DC.

Well before 9/11 it was pretty much a default yes, even in flight. I only recall going up front in a flying forehead in flight though (B1900D). I got up to the upper deck of a UAL 742 back when Hale-Bopp was in the night sky (spectacular sight since they'd shut the lights off upstairs as they weren't using it for passengers - equip swap for seasonal volume down to FL). In 2005, I got up front in a Lufthansa 744 after asking during the flight if I could see up front after we got to FRA (politely, in German). A couple years ago, I went up front to have a look at the red headed hybrid (764) as I walked out. Since it was a 6 hour flight and one of the FAs took a liking to our group, I asked him as we were walking out if I could go say hi to the crew up front and got a "go for it." I've gotten up front on a handful of 737s, too. I'm sure there have been others.

Honestly, you're probably better off with a 744, or some other longer range aircraft. Anecdotally, they tend to stick around after the flight longer. The last 7 flights I've been on in the last month - all shorter range - the flight crew has been long gone by the time I get up there.

Long story short: just ask. There's nothing wrong with it. Some airlines might be a little more nitpicky about it (Aer Lingus rings a bell with their "no pictures" thing...as if nobody's seen a picture of a flight deck, but I digress...), and some will sit there and talk your ear off.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't find your question weird at all!!

That said, I did as once, 2 years ago while flying back from Colorado on United to see the cockpit, we were mid flight. The FA was not at all pleased that I had asked and told me "No, no, that is absolutely out of the question, no one is allowed into the cockpit ever...please take my seat immediately."

I didn't think I was so out of line....I would have loved to see the cockpit during the cruise. 

This is what I Recommend: I have found that crews usually let me see the cockpit once we are de-planing...and of course the plane is parked on the ground. I feel they think you are less of some kind of threat given the flight is now over, and you must be some kind of avgeek as why would anyone want to spend more time on the plane rather than exist as fast as possible to grab your luggage and get the heck out of the airport....so you could always try that route. 

Very Best,

Max 

Max

PMDG 747X & 737NGX Pilot

When I lived in Hong Kong in the 1980's and was regularly travelling the HK - London route on either Cathay Pacific or BA 747's I always asked the stewardess in flight if my children could visit the cockpit. I also asked if I might accompany them also. The kids weren't interested but it was me I was really asking for! I must have visited the cockpit a dozen or so times and I can't ever recall being refused. In fact I even recall you had to await your turn whilst a queue of children/fathers finished their visits!

The flight crews were always most accommodating and happy to greet you and explain a few of the workings; and the views from the cockpit at sunrise/sunset were stunning. I had a rudimentary understanding in those days of the cockpit layout, but it's those visits that made the PMDG 747-400 my go to aircraft in flight simulation.   

Since 9/11 all that changed but what I did try later was to ask the stewardess if she could get the flight crew to take a few seconds of video on my camera - I'm not sure if that is even allowed now.

Bernard Walford

Bernard Walford

Go for it, if they cant, they will say no, but... its hard to believe they will do so. Remember, for airline such behavior is reputational bonus almost for free.

Luckly I don't have to beg as my brother is a captain on a nice 777-200, soon 787. Not telling the airline ;-) but I've seen this and that during visits ;-)

Tom Link

Tom Link

I would say post 9/11 never ask in the air. On a recent flight on Southwest I was the last off the aircraft. My wife and kids in front of me. Crew was saying goodnight and I said " that's a nice office you got there". He asked if I wanted to take a look around. It was 1230am after a long travel day and I am sure my wife would have snapped if I delayed us more so I said "Oh thank you but its late and I can't. I would have loved to". They are humans. I imagine there are grumpy ones out there. This was their last flight of the night and was still willing to show me around.

Good luck and take pictures if they allow it.

Richie Walsh

I even seem to remember many flights pre-9/11 on which the crews didn't even bother closing the cockpit door and it remained open the entire flight. Those were the days...

That, of course, was no invitation to walk in and out at one's pleasure, but still interesting.

flying forehead (B1900D)

I've been trying to think of a good nickname for that ridiculous little airplane for years. This one's gold! 

I've flown in the jumpseat a couple of times, and I didn't know the crew or anything. Just asked them politely when boarding. If it's a stewardess, say "Excuse me, could please be so kind and ask the Captain if I could have a quick look into the cockpit and say hello?". If you get in, introduce yourself, shake hands, be polite and also have something interesting to say, don't just stay there. On the ground they can "figure you out" and see if you're potentially dangerous or not. If they like you, they might offer you to stay. In flight they won't let you in probably.

Exactly. Be nice and they'll most likely be very leniant. It also helps to have a big camera and a Boeng t-shirt so they realize you're not a terrorist, just a nerd  :wink:

It's actually amazing what you can get away with outside of the US. Here is a video from MEA (Lebanon) where some (presumably) enthusiasts got to hang out in the cockpit during landing (from the chatter you can tell that they're not crewmembers or anything).

I was very happy to get a jumpseat landing on an Aer Lingus A320 back on 30th August 1997 from Dublin to Dusseldorf.

I still remember it fondly.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I am 36. In the last few years I have visited and photographed the cockpits of a 734, A320, and a CRJ(200?). All were with AWE/US Airways (US Airways Express for the CRJ).I was denied a visit post flight on a 757 due to maintenance issues and a crew change. Otherwise, it was looking good. My biggest fear is upsetting my wife while she juggles our two kids after everyone else has deplaned. As a kid, I visited at least one cockpit but don't have pics. One was a classic 747. I believe it was Aer Lingus.

• Upvote 1

My most memorable experience in a cockpit was on a US Marine C-130 (I was not in the military) flying from Islamabad to Gilgit, Pakistan on a sunny day.  Seeing the Hindu Kush on a sunny day and the descent and final into Gilgit was amazing.  It's a very short runway, one way in and one way out.

I've had the opportunity to receive cargo charter's (747, DC10, 767, MD-11, 742) and spend most of my time in the cockpit when they are on the ground.  They stick around for about 60-90 minutes, so I've had plenty of time to talk the ear off the pilots.  They've always been gracious and are always interested in the cargo they are bringing in, which is fairly unique, so makes for good conversation.

• Upvote 1

Chris B. Trane