Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

B744 Cockpit Visit For Grown Man

When I fly, which is often, I will ask the pilots afterwards on the way out when they're no longer busy.  I know they're often tired and want to go relax so I get an affirmative maybe 30% of the time, but they are generally very good about the request either way.  I think they appreciate the interest from the public.  Great thread.

spacer.png

I think some of you guys are very naive or goodhearted if you don't see the danger... with all due respect.

Cheers.

johngoncalves

I think some of you guys are very naive or goodhearted if you don't see the danger... with all due respect.

Cheers.

johngoncalves

What danger? What can possibly happen to a aircraft on the ground not running. Its chocked and docked to a gate. Please explain.

• Upvote 1

Richie Walsh

A device can left in the cockpit to go off later, the next day, or whenever without the pilots noticing.

A person can force the pilots to take off with or without passengers that just arrived at their destination. Flight decks are locked from the inside with reinforced locks. So many possibilities and scenarios. Imagination is the limit. 

Unfortunately, these days, an aircraft can be potentially dangerous, even on the ground, as pmdg777 posted and I fully agree with it. The world has changed a lot in the last 10, 15 years. You know what I'm trying to say?...

So much security at airports. People checked thoroughly and before or at the end of the flight anyone can be allowed in the cockpit. So, all security efforts are thrown out of the window right there. In my humble opinion, that's no good. Simmers, have good intentions but not all people in the world are like that. I wish I could have been inside a cockpit like some of you guys. It's also nice to read about it. But check news and documentaries. It's all there. How many planes are downed in circumstances of security. Being allowed in the flight deck is perhaps an accident waiting to happen, gentlemen. I understand you guys. Pilots are nice to let people in.   Who could have imagined  9/11?  Well sadly it did happen. I don't want to sound like doomsday profit, but anything can happen these days.        

Cheers.

johngoncalves

A device can left in the cockpit to go off later, the next day, or whenever without the pilots noticing.

A person can force the pilots to take off with or without passengers that just arrived at their destination. Flight decks are locked from the inside with reinforced locks. So many possibilities and scenarios. Imagination is the limit. 

Unfortunately, these days, an aircraft can be potentially dangerous, even on the ground, as pmdg777 posted and I fully agree with it. The world has changed a lot in the last 10, 15 years. You know what I'm trying to say?...

So much security at airports. People checked thoroughly and before or at the end of the flight anyone can be allowed in the cockpit. So, all security efforts are thrown out of the window right there. In my humble opinion, that's no good. Simmers, have good intentions but not all people in the world are like that. I wish I could have been inside a cockpit like some of you guys. It's also nice to read about it. But check news and documentaries. It's all there. How many planes are downed in circumstances of security. Being allowed in the flight deck is perhaps an accident waiting to happen, gentlemen. I understand you guys. Pilots are nice to let people in.   Who could have imagined  9/11?  Well sadly it did happen. I don't want to sound like doomsday profit, but anything can happen these days.        

Cheers.

johngoncalves

Where will this device that's left behind come from? It went through security but it's only effective in a cockpit? Why wouldn't this device be left in the cabin? How are they going to force a pilot to get a aircraft out of a gate and chocks? After 9/11 I don't think anyone could pull off any kind of hijacking because people now know the possible consequences. You are delusional about aircraft security.The world is a dangerous place but lets be real here.

• Upvote 4

Richie Walsh

I got to sit with the captain and FO on a 767 flight coming into Dubai at night, that was an amazing experience! 

excuse my eyes, had no sleep for 24 hrs and the flight landed at 2 in the morning

DSCN1301.jpg

• Upvote 2

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Hi Richie, you might think what you want. I accept that but nothing can be ruled out totally. Insiders do the tricky jobs of getting things past security. They can take anything needed inside. It has happened before.

It boils down to either being delusional about security or being naive. On the former you'd loose nothing. On the latter you could loose it all.

Cheers buddy. Enjoyed the debate.

johngoncalves

I think this thread has degenerated into a "I know more than you" tit-for-tat exchange and gone waaayyyyyyy off-topic. How about getting back to the intended topic, eh people?

Actually I took it too far, sorry.

Hi Richie, you might think what you want. I accept that but nothing can be ruled out totally. Insiders do the tricky jobs of getting things past security. They can take anything needed inside. It has happened before.

It boils down to either being delusional about security or being naive. On the former you'd loose nothing. On the latter you could loose it all.

Cheers buddy. Enjoyed the debate.

johngoncalves

Hi John! Man, I'm really sorry you feel that way man. Believe me when I tell you that I respect your opinion, but I think your perception appears a little extreme. People get killed every day while driving, but we can't stop driving man!

A visit to the flight deck while the airplane is at the gate is NOT a big deal, and is perfectly safe! Even if someone puts a gun to my head to take the airplane, it'll take a team of people to just take the airplane off the gate! Pilots, kids, and aviation enthusiasts come up to take a look and ask questions on a regular basis when I'm working.

We can't just blindly shot out aviation enthusiasts like yourself because there have bee terrorists acts involving airplanes throughout the world. We have to take precautions of course and follow security procedures, but just completely lock out everyone simply implies that the terrorists have really won the war! If I'm at the gate, and I have time, I'll be happy to show you guys the office. Come on in and take a look! Just don't touch nothing! :-)

Ray

When I was a child I visited the cockpit in flight every time.  I'd ask some questions then just stay quiet until they forgot I was there and stayed for almost the whole flight.  Even got to sit on the Captain's lap in flight once.  

This was pre 9/11.  Times have changed.  

Make sure to share with us your pic when you get it! 

• Upvote 1

I have a pic of me from a couple of years ago sitting in the captains seat on a UAL 744 on the ground in Frankfurt. It helped that I am ATC with lots of ID. Very cool crew! 

Scott

Kendall S Mann

Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!

I have a pic of me from a couple of years ago sitting in the captains seat on a UAL 744 on the ground in Frankfurt. It helped that I am ATC with lots of ID. Very cool crew! 

Scott

Hi Scott,

In Spain I've heard from many pilots that they encourage ATCs to go take a seat in the jumpseat. This is educational for the ATCs because this way they get to see how things work on the other side of the mike. I think it makes perfect sense, and if I were a pilot I would let a IDed ATC stay for the whole flight. Both the pilots and the ATC will surely learn something from the encounter :)

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I would not ask to sit in unless I knew someone like an FA or pilot. But I do like a quick chat I make sure to leave last and a quick chat and question they let me take a picture and answer a couple questions. Years ago I was not familiar with JFK approaches and found it interesting they kept you above 10,000 when approaching from the west over Manhattan and they had the speed brakes on the full descent down and got that explanation from the FO. - David Lee