Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

B744 Cockpit Visit For Grown Man

Sadly, I would not recommend even asking if you look or sound Arabic, or could be mistaken for looking or sounding Arabic. Times are changing and not always for the better.

When did I mention in flight. An aircraft is still a potentially dangerous piece of equipment even when it's parked up with the engines off.

Please, just stop. I've seen on a number of occasions (including personally) in which the Captain will allow a passenger to sit in his seat for a picture pre-flight and post-flight.

So, you are incorrect. The chances are not "practically zero." They are very good, at least based on my personal experiences. Know when to ask, and be polite about it.

• Upvote 2

Definitely not a big deal, just have to ask. I've never been denied after the flight, on a multitude of airlines. Most recently, on a BA 788. The Capt, F/O, and I had a very interesting discussion on the similiarities and differences between the avionics on it and the 777. And as for not getting the Captain's seat, well, the BA 788 Capt couldn't quickly (or happily enough) insist that I have a seat there for a photo op!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did this a lot as a kid, but didn't know how they treated adults who ask.

When did I mention in flight. An aircraft is still a potentially dangerous piece of equipment even when it's parked up with the engines off.

I'll put money on it not happening.

If you're looking for bets in the near future, gimme a shout. I'll take it. Could use the money. 

If I could post an image here, I would (can't figure out how). I have an instagram of me sitting in the left seat of a Delta Boeing 777-232LR, Ship N708DN right after I boarded DAL8 to Dubai. Full flight deck too. 4 pilots and myself. They let me run through a few things, like arm the speed brake, adjust lighting, test the oxygen, work the mouse cursor, and....wait for it....move the throttles (gasp!).... basically all the stuff that I was familiar with through PMDG but had never gotten to try in person.

• Upvote 4

(can't figure out how

Upload the image to Imgur.com. Then copy the link to your clipboard, go to the forum and click on the option "Image" in the reply box. Then copy the link of the image (it has to end in .jpg)

This is me in the left seat of an Air Canada 320 :D

VgShm4a.jpg

(this was some years ago, I look so childish in there, hahaha)

They let me run through a few things, like arm the speed brake, adjust lighting, test the oxygen, work the mouse cursor, and....wait for it....move the throttles (gasp!).... basically all the stuff that I was familiar with through PMDG but had never gotten to try in person.

Nice! I was allowed to handle the radios once as a teenager, the PNF (back then it was called Pilot Not Flying, hahaha), would tell me what I had to say.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

So, I booked a flight on the United 747 from ORD to SFO before it's retired. Can't believe I'm asking this, but is it weird for a grown a** man to ask to visit the cockpit? How about asking for a picture in the captain's seat? Would pre-flight or post-flight be best?

Hi Robert! I would ask during boarding if is possible to visit prior to departure. If the visit is granted, then ask if you could take that picture. If the flight crew is not too busy, you may take that picture right there and then! I normally ask to come up during deplaning, as most of the time we're busy trying to get the airplane ready for flight during boarding. Good luck and don't be embarrassed to ask man!

Hopefully you get a cool flight crew!

• Upvote 3

By the way, the most effective way to tell if you're welcome in the cockpit is taking a look at the transponder. If they change the squawk to 7500, that's usually a sign that you might want to leave... :P

Disclaimer: The words above are not to be taken seriously.

• Upvote 4

If, on the very remote chance you're invited to take the jumpseat during takeoff or landing, make sure you keep your mouth firmly shut. This is an intensely busy period for pilots as they fly through very crowded airspace and usually all airlines make this period of time known as a sterile cockpit, where the only talking directly relates to operating the aircraft. All other talking is prohibited.

I've been in the 747 LCF (Dreamlifter) at work. I thought it was more impressive being in the 787 cockpit as all the displays are much larger. I do like the nostalgia of the 744. 

By the way, the most effective way to tell if you're welcome in the cockpit is taking a look at the transponder. If they change the squawk to 7500, that's usually a sign that you might want to leave... :PDisclaimer: The words above are not to be taken seriously.

Hahah that's great! Will keep my eyes peeled.

Hey guys... I have been a flight attendant first for US Airways (14 years) and now for American since the merger. Normally, they will let you see the flight deck after plane has arrived at the destination as people are walking out. They normally don't allow flight deck visit durin pre flight as they are pretty busy in there and also for security reasons. You can ask but not sure if you can see it during boarding. Maybe after arrival in SFO.

That's just my two cents...

Regards,

Pablo Vazquez

Pablo Vazquez - Flight Attendant - Major US Airline

(P3D v4.3, PMDG 744v3, PMDG 748, PMDG 777, PMDG 737 NGX, QualityWings 787, Captain Sim 757, Aerosoft Airbus Professional and FSLabs A320x)

1hxz6d.jpg

A couple of months ago my wife and I were sitting in row 1 of an Air Canada Rouge A320 leaving YYZ for FLL.  I was craning my neck staring through the open cockpit door while yammering to my wife about all the buttons and switches and stuff I could see on the displays and the flight attendant walked by, she stuck her head in and said something, then the captain turned around and said "You can come up and take a look around if you want".

I got to stand in there for 5-10 minutes checking everything out.  The pilots were awesome.

I don't understand the people going on about security and how a stranger visiting a cockpit is unprofessional.  In flight is a bit of a different story, but even then, planes flew for decades with people visiting flight decks and there were no issues, but the risk is greater so fine, keep people out in flight, but at the gate I don't see the issue.  Pretty hard to hijack a parked airplane at an airport full of security.

But to each their own, I'm glad pilots let people check out flight decks, after I got invited in I will ask to visit every time I'm on a different type of airplane.  I've seen the A320 now, so I won't ask again, hopefully me not going in gives another aviation fan a chance to check it out.

• Upvote 1

Jeff Calder