Sign in to follow this  
jshek

FSX.cfg DX10 settings

Hi Steve,

I tried to post this comment on your website yesterday but it didn't seem to go through. I have a couple of fsx.cfg questions for you. I have recently purchased your DX10fixer and I am very happy with it. When I was running DX9 in FSX SE, it ran very smooth between 22 and 30 fps with only affinity mask 14 and 4096 max texture in the fsx.cfg. Unlike the boxed version cfg, I wanted to keep SE cfg clean. With the pmdg 777/737, ASN, REX4 + Soft clouds, FTX Global it ran with steady fps and very smooth at all airports including heavy ones such as EGLL, CYYZ, JFK etc. Almost all sliders full right except water at 2x low and traffic off. Inspector at 8xSQ, 2xSGSS, in-game anisotropic, 1/2 resresh, 30fps internal lock.

Dx10 looks absolutely great with your fixer, I just would like to know your thoughts about FTFF, buffer pools and nvidia inspector frame limiter. I used the NZF SIM manual to setup my inspector and cfg. They mention they run the FTFF between 0.12-0.22. I have read on most forums that this was mostly for single core machines and can cause stuttering in multi core machines. Do you run it?

I was reading a thread on a avsim where you first mention that you don't even add the buffer pools line to the cfg, then you mention you did some testing and found that usepools=1 and threshold=1000 seemed to be the smoothest. Can you confirm which you recommend using?

In the NZF manual they recommend running the inspector limiter and the internal limiter together. They say to use the inspector limiter at 30 and fsx limiter at 31. I have always used the fsx limiter at 30 and never bothered with the inspector limiter. What are your thoughts on this?

My specs are

I5-2500K@4.5ghz

Evga 760SC

Z68 mobo

8Gb corsair vengeance

240gb mushkin chronos deluxe ssd

23"LED@60hz

Thank you

I did numerous tests over and over changing one setting at a time, following the exact same scenario.

16xCSAA looks exactly the same as 8xMSAA but uses 30% less gpu.

4xMSAA uses generally the same gpu on my setup. 8xMSAA had slight microsutters. 16xCSAA did not.

Nvidia Inspector

16xCSAA (DX10 fixer with 4xsgss in NI)

1/2 refresh vsync

FXAA off

16xAF

FSX.cfg

BP=0 and water 2xhigh

4096 textures

Texture bandwidth 80

Disable preload=1

Internal fps = 30

Runs very smooth even with PMDG 777 at heavy airports. Looks great with DX10, couldn't be happier.

Great sorry that I didn't respond, I meant to but my response would only have said that I have no strong opinions as I only have 2 pcs with which to experiment. I have no tweaks other than highmem in fsx.cfg, but it doesn't mean that I entirely discount anything.

Hi Steve, I have just purchased your dx10 fixer 3.2 edition and am trouble figuring out what the values should be in your drop down fsx config screen.  I am running a high end desktop with a GTX 1070.  Also are there a definitive and updated settings for nvidia profile and fsx config for 3.2?

Love your product but just want to make sure I'm getting the best out of it.

Many thanks

Richard

The only settings that I use in fsx.cfg  are the high mem fix , Force VC shadows, and Graphics Texture Max Load which I set to 2048.  If you have an I7 processor it may be worth changing the Processor Affinity Mask.  I have never seen anything positive (or negative) from the other settings.

In Nvidia the only things that I change from default are the SGSSAA setting and setting Single Display Performance Mode.

With a 1070  I would suggest that you try 8x MSAA in the fixer and set 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling in Nvidia.

Be warned that with my 1070 I get black screens at certain zooms  if I enable the Fixer option in the Other Dialog to Hide Sun Glare Effects

• Like 1

Buying or building a computer is like buying or building a car, the more you tweak it, the more things break.

Dear Steve, many thanks for your reply.  Just one more question please; in your dropdown fsx config panel under ,"Processor Affinity Mask", should I check of all the 4 cores?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Thanks again

Richard

You should I think set the affinity mask to 84 - its easier to just edit fsx.cfg  for that one rather than use the controller screen.

The FSX SP2 suddenly started with black screen right after selected the aircraft and scenery following the "Fly" …  Today, I just purchased the Steve DX10 Scenery Fixer with DX10 Cloud Shadows and resolved my FSX greatly so far. From the Steve DX10 Scenery Fixer what antialiasing is recommended to select for NVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti video card? 

Patricio Valdes

I would suggest

8x in the Fixer DX10Controller (that will set 8x MSAA) and then  8x Smart Grid Super Sampling via Nvidia Inspector

That card is a monster

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 2:24 PM, SteveFx said:

I would suggest

8x in the Fixer DX10Controller (that will set 8x MSAA) and then  8x Smart Grid Super Sampling via Nvidia Inspector

That card is a monster

I don't know about Nvidia Inspector enough. Do you mean to set 8x Smart Super Sampling after calling FSX inside of the GeForce video settings?

Edit: Downloaded Nvidia Inspector NVidiaProfileInspectorDmW-v3.5.0.0-Windows and also nvidiaProfileInspector_v2.1.3.20

None of them found the line "Smart Grid Super Sampling" to enter 8x in Global and/or Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 tabs. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by trisho0
editing more

Patricio Valdes

Its all in the manual with screenshots, but run nvidia inspector - select the Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 and then use the pulldown on "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" and select 8x Sparse Grid Super Sampling.

2 hours ago, SteveFx said:

Its all in the manual with screenshots, but run nvidia inspector - select the Microsoft Flight Simulator 10 and then use the pulldown on "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" and select 8x Sparse Grid Super Sampling.

I did the changes and applied. Launched FSX and no improvements. I am trying to get smooth flying on Imaginesim WSSS but some stutters still on and off. Maybe is the scenery itself.

Edited by trisho0
corrections made

Patricio Valdes

After installing DX10 Fixer the FSX sim doesn't block screensaver as before DX10. Should I switch DX10? I don't want to mess with the amazing DX10 Fixer. Maybe is an instruction from FSX.cfg file to add it but I can't figure yet. Any ideas?

Patricio Valdes

Are you running FSX full screen - i would have expected it to block the screen saver either by activity or being full screen.