Sign in to follow this  
jshek

FSX.cfg DX10 settings

FWIW - I turned off the Windows screensaver completely on my PC via Windows itself.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

9 hours ago, SteveFx said:

Are you running FSX full screen - i would have expected it to block the screen saver either by activity or being full screen.

Yes, FSX running at full screen and screensaver starts unless if I move the mouse. Before DX10 the FSX was be able to block screensaver. And now with DX10 screensaver run even if the aircraft is flying. What can I try? Maybe something from FSX Settings?

Patricio Valdes

There is no setting in fsx.cfg, I imagine that your best option is to disable the screen saver before running fsx.

14 hours ago, SteveFx said:

There is no setting in fsx.cfg, I imagine that your best option is to disable the screen saver before running fsx.

I know disabling screensaver is a solution but for many years FSX has been working in Windows 10 just fine at full screen and screensaver came active only after FSX is closed. Suddenly, for an unknown reason FSX started loading the scenery with black screen until DX10 Fixer came on board. That's weird definitely. It has to be a reason of such black screen. By doing some research I found the FSX DX10 never selected before and activated for the very first time it resolved to load scenery at full screen but also the screensaver was activated by itself, never did before. After purchasing DX10 Fixer the FSX came back to the life even magically better but still the screensaver showing up.

I am not comfortable to deactivate screensaver every time before using FSX. I don't have screensaver problem with P3Dv4 and I don't have such issue with FS2004 (fs9) running at full screen neither. The screensaver questioned is only with FSX. On the way I will see if I can get the screensaver off automatically when FSX scenery is active.

Patricio Valdes

The are various small tray programs that you can find that simulate activity to block the screen saver, e.g caffeine is the name of one.  I have never needed to use anything like this with fsx and so have never tested one, but in principle they might assist you, ie run one of these utilities when you launch fsx and close it afterwards.

When will be an update for DX10 Fixer? Do we really need it? If improved for much better performance I would update it, indeed.

Patricio Valdes

Do I have to uninstall DX10 Fixer before installing the new version? If so, do I need to uninstall Cloud Shadows first?

Or just install the new version over the old one?

Patricio Valdes

Updating DX10 Fixer do I proceed with the Installer as INSTALL or REPAIR?

Patricio Valdes

If you have successfully downloaded the new version it wouldn’t give you a repair option so something is wrong.

Download again and check that you have downloaded a zip file called DX10SceneryFixer_5_4_155.zip.  Extract the files and run the msi installer which is called DX10SceneryFixer_5_4_155.msi.

As the version number is greater than the version currently installed you will not see a repair option.

Edited by SteveFx
  • Upvote 1

Downloaded again and still "REPAIR" option. Should I uninstall and try again? FSX is working fine so far. From DX10 run controller v5.4, I have CFAS Off what is that?

Patricio Valdes

If the controller says 5.4 then you have already installed the update.  

The update provides a new option for anti aliasing called cfas which is explained in the manual. This may be of interest to a small number of customers, but most customers will find no use for it.

If you can successfully use supersampling set by Nvidia inspector or Radeon cc then you should ignore it and leave CFAS set off as they are much better quality.   If you cannot run supersampling using those tools because fps drops too much in cloud then try cfas instead. If your fps falls too much then turn it off.

SteveFx, many thanks for you professional help. DX10 Fixer is amazing.

Patricio Valdes