Sign in to follow this  
Phantom88

P-51 On Final Approach

Coming "Very" Soon :smile: !!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

1st day buy for me...

I already own the MLADG 109 G-2, a great add-on which is being brought as close as possible to the real thing, but I was missing a good p51 for XpX.

I need to believe it's possible to have in XpX as good a fdm as what I got with DCS, and I do believe in that judging from the tweaking I made to the 109 G-2 :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Patrick

The sounds aren't it's best feature :-/

Basic tests to perform ( aerodynamics ):

- should show neutral pitch stability for pitch up perturbations from trimmed state

- should show positive pitch stability for pitch down perturbations from trimmed state

These two are basic and mandatory, otherwise it isn't a p51...

Then, many more follow, including the accelerated stall characteristics due to the supercritical airfoil, and so on...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Hello Jose,I think the Merlin Engine sounds are very well done from what I can hear in these short video's,Khamsin Studios has a proven track record for creating very realistic Warbirds for X-Plane....I expect this to exceed those great Aircraft. :smile:   

Patrick

Basic tests to perform ( aerodynamics ):

- should show neutral pitch stability for pitch up perturbations from trimmed state

- should show positive pitch stability for pitch down perturbations from trimmed state

Do you have more info on that? Docs, etc.?

In theory, for small perturbations and in the cruise regime, flight dynamics should have a linear behaviour, and hence act symmetrically for pitch up or down.

EDIT: Ok, I've come to the conclusion that the simmetric behaviour is probably restricted to only very small perturbations in pitch. Evidently, for the P51 even a few degree of pitch perturbation, produce non linear effects and hence an asymmetric behaviour.

2nd EDIT: Ok, made further research. Technically speaking, it's not correct to say that the p51 has neutral pitch stability for pitch up and positive pitch stability for pitch down (that would have not made sense).

What happens instead, is that its pitch stability decreases with the increase in lift coefficient (and hence AoA), becoming lower at higher AoA's and higher at lower AoA's.

So, what happens is that when you pitch up _in a certain AoA range_, you're going through the shallower part of the pitch stability curve, while when you pitch down, you're going through the steeper part of the curve.

Of course the final effect is the one you mentioned, that is a higher pitch stability when pitching down and a lower one when pitching up.

However, as you can see from this chart, if the perturbations are confined in an Cl range of about 0.60 - 1.20, or alternatively in a range of 0.00 - 0.40, the slope of the power-on pitch stability curve is constant, and hence the behaviour for pitch up and pitch down should be symmetrical.

YDsaxLF.jpg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Ah Thx Murmur for the corrections :-)

Indeed for power on the behaviour is different, and the same applies when the fuselage tank is filled.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2328732&postcount=4

Main Simulation Rig:

More "Coming Attractions" :smile: 

Patrick

Tom, you were really a luck guy :-)

I still start my A2A P51s, but am willing to test this one in XPX :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Tom, you were really a luck guy :-)

I still start my A2A P51s, but am willing to test this one in XPX :-)

I think a wrong test . Oh crap you went back to FSX

I see something lacking in that video and yes that I am actually comparing to the DCS flight of any aircraft and not the aircraft.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I think a wrong test . Oh crap you went back to FSX

I see something lacking in that video and yes that I am actually comparing to the DCS flight of any aircraft and not the aircraft.

Not back to FSX, but I have some beta-testing to do :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Patrick, and others who can answer :-)

Assuming you own them all :-), I mean - DCS's P51d, FSX's A2A P51d and now this Khansim P51d, how would you rank them, flight dynamics wise ?

In the videos I see a weird behavior of the ball in the turn coordinator, almost all of the time the instrument is focused...

With an empty fuselage tank, from trimmed level flight, how does it behave when you pull the stick and then rturn it to neutral ?  And the way around when you push the stick and return to neutral from level trimmed flight ?  

Do you notice the difference in turns with a filled fuselage tank - reversal of pitch input necessary due to rearward CoG ?

Any other comments on the way it "flies" appreciated :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Patrick, and others who can answer :-)

Assuming you own them all :-)

[...]

Any other comments on the way it "flies" appreciated :-)

+1: I'd very much welcome some proper information about that as well!

:smile: