Sign in to follow this  
Guest baksteen33

'White" water when textures redraw?

I just started getting this white water texture whenever I am in the 2D cockpit and the textures redraw. If I switch to either the VC or spot view and then go back to the 2D cockpit, the water looks fine until the next redraw.I have my fps locked at 26. Anyone have any idea what causes this?Thanks a lot,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Guest Peter Wilding

I got that problem after putting the anti-shimmering fix for the ATI cards. I removed the fix and since then I've not had the problem any more.By any chance did you also try the anit-shimmering fix?

Peter,That was the problem. You hit it right on the head. I have to learn to stop trying eveything I read ;-)Thank you VERY much,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Guest VCSIGDA

Hi,I tried this as well and the water turned white in 2d cockpit mode,I tried to just remove it but the water stayed white. Tried to replace the water textures with no luck, I had no idea how to correct it and I never made a restore point. I have since reformatted and all is ok now. I have the ati 9800 card as well.happy flying,

Hi Vincent,Since you have an ATI 9800 card try downloading and installing the latest drivers from the ATI site. They really make a difference.RegardsHansHolland

Guest Peter Wilding

You beat!We end up chasing our tails with fixes that are really only beta's in half checked modes of working.I couldn't understand what had caused the problem. I thought about posting on the long anti-shimmering thread and decided it would be too complicated to point this out without needing to reply to many, many people. But I did make a concious note to check if anyone mentioned the white water so that's why I replied to you.Maybe eveyone will not have this problem and it may depend on which driver's you have installed?For me the anit shimmer gain is so small it's not work the risk something else may not work in the future and there is always a chance I'll forget the cause by then.

Guest Darren Howie

Yea i had the same issue with the 2d cockpit display so easy solution.Remove the d3d9 files.Solved.Darren

Guest Peter Wilding

Just goes to show hey that we need to be really careful about what fixes we assume will make things better. I wonder how much time this fix; reading, downloading, testing, finding issues, removing has cost us.Well, we are all a little crazy hey

I had the same issue. I did like how the shimmer on the AutoGen was gone, but the lost water textures in 2D outweighed the gains of the fix. Therefore the d3d9 files were trashed from my sim.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

helloI liked the absence of shimmer but i found that my overclocking software for my radeon 9800 (radlinker) defaulted to the cards normal clocks.

Guest baksteen33

>>I wonder how much time this fix; reading, downloading, testing, finding issues, removing has cost us.<http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=277603&page=6Hope this adds to thoughts, good luck and kind regards Jaap PS (disclaimer), please do not modify the Windows Registry unless you know what you're doing

Hi Jaap,The second shimmering fix worked for me. Altough.. The view outside in the distance was fine after the tweak. But my 2D panels became unsharp. I agree with some of these posts: Though I don't like the shimmer I like flying, not testing, tweaking and so one. Herman

Guest Peter Wilding

Thants interesting. Again it just goes to show how fragile things are and unless gains are really huge it's probably worth leaving a working system as it it.The old saying, "I if aint broke, don't fix it", is so true once again.

I made the fix through the ccc and recently begin to experience texture corruption that flashes onscreen for a second or so. It's too quick to take a screenshot. The only way I can describe is that it's like textures that are released before being drawn but after seeing what the fix does to the image I'm reluctant to switch it off because it looks soooo good. I've used it on several other games and have had no problems so it may be that FS doesn't like this mode of AA. However ,I would be keen to hear from simmers using NVIDIA's 7800 cards if they encounter any problems as I believe it uses a similar mode of Anti-Aliasing.

Guest baksteen33

Hi Herman, that's strange and I couldn't confirm observing the same. But maybe I don't look at the panels enough to notice the difference? :-) This could also be due to a fs9.cfg line I use by default (PanelAsTexture=0)? Sorry I can't come up with an idea. I just wanted to point out that the 'whitewater effect' can be eliminated by applying the registry method or activating at least one of the 'Shift+Z lines' case that's the only prob. Good luck and kind regards Jaap