Sign in to follow this  
hjsmuc

Skyscrapers reach to the sky with World2Xplane

I recently made a few sceneries with World2XPlane. Generating Manhattan gives me some buildings which reach up to the stratosphere. See picture below please. I remember having seen this before but I can't remember what the reason was. Using latest pbf file, poly file, config with and without. exclusions. Thanks for any hint. 

NYC2.jpg

Hans

The chosen ones are getting beamed up (:

I think its probably because the heights are in feet rather than meters inside OSM but I'm not sure. I have seen this bug before

Can you please try the version in my signature and let me know if you still have the same problem (It's a work in progress)

The chosen ones are getting beamed up (:

The chosen ones are Tony for his W2XPL and Oscar for his Ortho4XP. Using it means lot of work and patience but the results are rewarding.  :hi:

Just wished that there was better data for remote regions of the world but that's not the fault of the developers.

I think its probably because the heights are in feet rather than meters inside OSM but I'm not sure. I have seen this bug before

Can you please try the version in my signature and let me know if you still have the same problem (It's a work in progress)

Thank you Tony, will try out asap. 

Hans

Tony, I tried the new version but it exits with an error at about 20%. I can send you the log file if it is of interest for you. 

Hans

Well, from my experience (while working with OSM data - outside of w2xp but as a test case for Laminar) there are sometimes bogus height values in OSM. I have already fixed a few of the really obvious madness in OSM (fun fact: sometimes OSM users semed to  assign hous no. to the height etc. :smile: ) a few weeks ago, but of course there is nothing stopping users to add new such stuff.

A great way to check, if the OSM height data is bad at the source is, to use one of those fancy 3D web viewers for OSM data. Like for example this one (helped me a lot):

The best I saw was in Switzerland where somebody had entered elevations as height, so there were houses 1000s of meters above sea level :-)

Andras, that's a nifty tool, thanks for the link. Doesn't look quite alright for me though in lower Manhattan.

http://demo.f4map.com/#lat=40.7079069&lon=-74.0081179&zoom=16

I don't know what you mean ... but that Lower Manhatten looks quite OK (and definitely no big "spikes" like you reported). So, I wouldn't blame the data here.

The best I saw was in Switzerland where somebody had entered elevations as height, so there were houses 1000s of meters above sea level :-)

Yeah, I corrected (well, just removed the height tag) a few huts there, which had exactly that problem ... you can find really a few (well, sometimes more than I like) "gems" of user madness in OSM .

I don't know what you mean ... but that Lower Manhatten looks quite OK (and definitely no big "spikes" like you reported). So, I wouldn't blame the data here.

Sorry, meant to say DOES look quite alright. Waiting to see if Tony has an explanation for the spikes.

Hans

The explanation is that they are in feet and written in a format that W2XP thinks is meters. So it's a bug in W2XP as opposed to being an issue with the data (Although it would be preferable if all the data was consistent. it isn't :-()