Sign in to follow this  
realkewl

Gaming laptop to run P3D v3

I'm thinking about getting a gaming laptop to run P3D and take it on the road with me. Does anybody have any experience with gaming laptops and P3D?

Will run with it:

VOXATC

OpusFSX

RealAir Legacy v2

EZDOK

Connections:

CH Yoke 

CH Rudders

Thanks,

Ray

Yes, yes I do.  I currently own an Origin EON-15X, spec'd out.  My sig has the details.  I can run P3D, with ORBX scenery, REX, ASN flying PMDG and Aerosoft tubeliners without breaking a sweat.  Like you, I need portability (as I do design work on the side, as well as CADD modelling).  I recently put in an extra 16gb of ram to max out to 32gb and I have all SSD drives.  Total cost of everything, including upgrades put me at about $2800, but she's a fine rig.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Yes, yes I do.  I currently own an Origin EON-15X, spec'd out.  My sig has the details.  I can run P3D, with ORBX scenery, REX, ASN flying PMDG and Aerosoft tubeliners without breaking a sweat.  Like you, I need portability (as I do design work on the side, as well as CADD modelling).  I recently put in an extra 16gb of ram to max out to 32gb and I have all SSD drives.  Total cost of everything, including upgrades put me at about $2800, but she's a fine rig.

-Jim

Ok thanks...I have looked at that, but that's why out of my budget. I was thinking along the lines of either a Alienware 17 R3 or Asus ROG GL552 with the i7 6700HQ 16GB RAM, 128SSD and geforce GTX 960 4GB.

Thanks,

Ray

First off, you DO get what you pay for and despite Origin being a little higher than the others, you have to consider longevity.  With an HQ processor, you cannot overclock, or at least it's not an unlocked processor.  Also it is a mobile processor.  Origin uses desktop processors in their laptops, to provide that extra kick.

Second, the GeForce 960 is not that great of a processor.  To compare mobile to desktop, my 980 is an equivalent of a 750 desktop, so consider that the 960 will be less powerful.

Third, Alienware is not what it used to be.  I owned an Alienware prior to my Origin, so I'll give you two guesses as to why I switched to Origin.  Origin is staffed by ex-Alienware folks, and the quality of their build is much better than Dell.  Asus is good, but honestly overpriced for what they give.  For the best bang to buck, Origin is a better choice.  I did research for almost a month prior to buying my Origin, looking at other boutique/specialty laptop companies and I always came back to Origin.  If cost is really a factor, I can reccomend purchasing directly from Clevo, who supplies base model gaming laptops to the likes of Dell, Asus, Gigabyte, and yeah, even Origin.  They were a close second on my list and the savings was decent but not enough for me to go with them, at the time.  I future-proofed my laptop, based on my own personal usage, so your reasons may differ.

If you want a good "mobile sim" laptop, you gotta spend the extra cash, so as to avoid any issues later.

-Jim

Also, look at these two links to compare processing power:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

Between the two, you get faster speeds with the 4790.  It is unlocked so you can overclock it.  I got mine to 4.5ghz and is stable.  Not bad for a desktop processor in a laptop.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jim,

Thanks so much for the info.

Makes a lot of sense. So I went to Origin's website and spec out a 17-X:

GTX 980M

Intel Core i7 6700K

The harddrive thing cannot didn't make a lot of sense to me, but it looks like I got:

m.2 SSD OS Drive (I'm assuming the OS is put on this drive)

250BG Samsung SSD 750 EVO (HD)

So I basically try to stay as min as possible. Cost is around $2200.

You think your direct seller can get me these specs?

Thanks 

Ray

I don't have a "direct seller" persay.  I too went through Origin's site to purchase my rig.  Clevo, on the other hand, have their own site, where you can spec out a rig through them.

GTX980 and I7-6700K are a must.  Definitely go for the pro overclocking, unless you know how to do that, and if you do, you may also want to invest in good paste and re-paste your cpu after you get it.

Drive selection can be confusing, so no argument there.  You specify if you want your primary drive to be the OS drive, and then select the drive you want.  Since Origin's rigs don't come with built-in dvd drives, that area is reserved for another drive, so basically, you will have connections for 4 drives, two m2 drives and 2 sata drives.  The 256 Samsung is a no-brainer and it's good you get the 750 EVO.  you can always swap out your own drives and put them in to the new rig (which is what I did).

I can try to contact my sales rep and see if he can shave off some cost if you are serious about pursuing.  PM me and we can talk more.

-Jim