Sign in to follow this  
jmdriskell

KSEA ILS Approach Problems

Michael & Dan,

Thanks for the input.  I think the sequence  of the install is key to a successful conclusion.  I'm also beginning to think that I need to wipe my SSD and start with a new FSX install.  I only recently started adding large scale add-ons like ORBX and T2G KSEA.  Up to this point, my system was quite solid so maybe these add-ons messed up enough of the underlying FSX so it may be impossible to correct.  I've only found the one problem with KSEA but there may be more that I haven't found yet.  

I did follow the ORBX compatibility guide when I installed T2G KSEA but I noticed spikes and other terrain problems after the install.  And as I mentioned initially early on, the KSEA AFCAD that T2G KSEA contained didn't work correctly because it only offered (at least in my system) two runways.  T2G gave me an updated  AFCAD which seemed to work until I discovered the lack of ILS/DME for the center runways.  T2G also combined the patch into the installer so it's not necessary to do a two step install now.

I also tryed disabling ORBX and installing a  KSEA AFCAD from AIG to check the ILS/DME on the center runways but I got so many spikes that I dropped this idea.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I just had a look at my AFCAD from T2G for KSEA using Airport Design Editor.  The ILS16C is the stock navaid for the stock runway 16R renamed in its new incarnation.  Stock navaids cannot be turned off, they can only be relocated to appear no longer there. Of course ILS16R is an addon for the new runway.  The BC option is usually not relevant depending on where the aircraft is in relationship to runway center, but I usually kill it when I am tweaking an ILS.  I have no explanation for the disappearance of ILS16C.

I wonder why you experienced spiking and scenery problems.  Are you using a video card that supports DirectX 11?

Disabling Orbx is not a trivial thing to do, I tried once but discovered that orbx has pretty much replace all existing landclasses and terrain textures and then there are those airport elevation correction stubs using Vector,  so it's not as easy as just turning off an Orbx entry in the scenery configuration. Basically, I think the only way to turn it off is to remove it and restore original stuff.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Mike,

Deleting the backcourse check didn't have any effect.  Nuts!

Deleting the backcourse check didn't have any effect. Nuts!

Sorry to hear that, Jim.  I was hoping that would fix the problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The latest version of this mess is:  Got rid of both ORBX and T2G KSEA.  KSEA 16C and 34C ILS/DME both work.  Installed T2G KSEA.  ILS/DME works for both 34C and 16C.  Installed ORBX FTX PNW and made the necessary modifications for T2G KSEA.  ORBX is above T2G KSEA.  ILS/DME still works for both 34C and 16C but the terrain around the runway now has bumps and holes.  The sharp runway texture seen in T2G KSEA before ORBX was installed has flattened out.

Terrain problems make me conclude that ORBX FTX and T2G KSEA are not compatible on my machine.  I'm not sure which one I wall dump but I'm very dis-satisfied with how they work together.  Has anyone had a different experience?

Maybe it's time to start over!

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

but the terrain around the runway now has bumps and holes

Installed the latest orbx libs  or  if  you have  got vectors  run  the airport  correction tool  since  if  you add any airport or  addons  you have to run this  tool  which will fix any conflicts  between  any addon and  orbx  addons

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

T2G Seattle and FTX PNW work fantastic for me and many others. Have you followed the compatibility thread listed on the ORBX forums?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Do you have any of the Ultimate Terrain products installed?  I thought I followed the ORBX modifications closely but I'm beginning to think my whole FSX is junk.  Maybe I'll rebuild it and see what happens.

Jim Driskell

Do you have any of the Ultimate Terrain products installed?

Jim

I have UT-USA, GEX-NA, Scenery Tech-NA and FSGenesis installed for the Seattle area plus ORBX PNW and KSEA  Taxi2Gate. At the time I was trying to get the airport to work, I spent more time on  the I-fly forum getting ideas that didn't work and one that finally did than I did on the ORBX forums. Maybe ORBX has more info now than was available in the late summer of 2015.

I don't have a link to I-fly anymore. I believe I got to it thru the Taxi2Gate home page by click on Forum. It was a bear to use. I never was able to register. I could only read the posts.

Edit - I see you have already post in I fly. So never mind the second paragraph.

Do you have any of the Ultimate Terrain products installed?

I have UTX USA, Canada and Europe installed underneath my FTX regions. I didn't have to modify anything from UTX to get Seattle working well. Have you by any chance tried the newest installer for T2G Seattle? I believe it has some updates in it for FTX PNW compatibility.

I have the newest installer for T2G KSEA.  I installed T2G KSEA and everything seemed to go well.  I did have to replace the KSEA bgl with an updated one that I got from T2G because the "updated installer" still had a two runway AFCAD.  I find this disturbing because it indicates that the developers are not paying attention.  After relacing the KSEA bgl, the scenery looked good so I installed ORBX FTX PNW above T2G KSEA and made the recommended changes to K2G KSEA that I got from ORBX.  I fired up the system and everything went to hell in a hand bag.  Gaps and bumps in the KSEA runways, but the ILS/DME for 16C DID WORK!!!.  So I uninstalled ORBX and looked at the various views of KSEA from C-172.  The tower view has lots of spikes.  Other views are terrible with no detail or buildings floating in air.  As far as my system goes, both products are unsatisfactory. 

I'm seriously considering uninstalling my add-ons and FTX, reformating the SSD that I have FTX on and starting fresh.  Hate to do this but I've lost confidence in my system.

Thanks for your concern,

Jim Driskell 

Jim,

Sorry if I missed it, but do you have any third party (commercial) AI Aircraft programs installed? I ask, because s0me of therm may install their own AFCAD, and that could cause what you're experiencing.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Very good point Dave!

Also, you installed FTX PNW above T2G Seattle? As in FTX PNW is getting priority over T2G?  From the scenery library you want FTX PNW below T2G Seattle, and if using the scenery.cfg you want T2G Seattle to have a higher number in the layering.

Jim

I have Taxi2Gate KSEA in the 6th position in the FSX Scenery Library and the various ORBX PNW items in the high 50s' in the Scenery Library below all the add-on airports I have. After you have installed Taxi2Gate KSEA and ORBX PNW, ORBX will be at the top of the Scenery Library with KSEA below it. You need to move ORBX down so that it is below KSEA.

Thanks for all y'alls collective help. 

No, I don't have any AI aircraft installed.  And yes, I have PNW above T2G KSEA.  I'll try it the other way and let you know what I find.

Jim Driskell