Sign in to follow this  
asadkamal

Flaperon droop on ramp

In the sim, soon after you depressurize the hydraulic systems the flaperons droop. Travelling almost every week out of Toronto airport, I see a lot of the Air Canada 777s on the ramp, where I see that the rudder is deflected but the flaperons and ailerons aren't drooped. Is there a reason for that ?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Asad Kamal

In the sim, soon after you depressurize the hydraulic systems the flaperons droop. Travelling almost every week out of Toronto airport, I see a lot of the Air Canada 777s on the ramp, where I see that the rudder is deflected but the flaperons and ailerons aren't drooped. Is there a reason for that ?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Asad Kamal

The only way that would happen is for one of the Hyd systems to be pressurized. I don't believe there is any way to lock these surfaces up, and also it is not standard practice to have live Hyd systems at the gate unless they are testing something. 

The only way that would happen is for one of the Hyd systems to be pressurized. I don't believe there is any way to lock these surfaces up, and also it is not standard practice to have live Hyd systems at the gate unless they are testing something. 

I think he means that the flaperons droop when they should not, from his experience looking at 777's on the ramp.

The flaperon "logic" of the 777 is complex. I don't know if they should droop or not once pressure is removed and/or under which conditions they do so. Maybe they are locked in place to prevent unwanted movement which could be potentially dangerous.

Here's some pictures, we don't know how the hydraulic panel was set when these pics where taken though, I think it's safe to assume that the panels where in the standard OFF state (everything OFF except for L and R engine primary pumps). It's hard to find a clear picture of the trailing edge with the aircraft parked on the ground...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/0/5/1/2661150.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/5/8/2472850.jpg

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Also have a look at this video, a walkaround of a 777, you'll see the flaperons apparently "in place":

https://youtu.be/Nvnv-LrXFi8?t=2m51s

At minute 4 you'll see the elevators drooped, by the way.

Jaime Beneyto

Powered flight controls are moved by servo valves which port pressure to one side of the actuator or the other. If there is no path to return the hydraulic fluid in the actuator can't move and the surface will not droop, even if there is no hydraulic pressure.

This photo shows a 777 with a drooping flaperon and non drooping elevator.

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/428266/vh-vph-virgin-australia-boeing-777-3zger

It may well vary from airframe to airframe.

• Upvote 2

ki9cAAb.jpg

Powered flight controls are moved by servo valves which port pressure to one side of the actuator or the other. If there is no path to return the hydraulic fluid in the actuator can't move and the surface will not droop, even if there is no hydraulic pressure.

Thanks Kevin.

May I ask, what about elevators and rudder? Why do those "droop"?

Jaime Beneyto

Gravity and wind, respectively.

Yes, that's what I thought, but what happens if the hydraulic circuit doesn't allow for actuator displacement as is the case for the Flaperons like Kevin said? They should be "locked" in place. Obviously they are not, so what am I missing?

Jaime Beneyto

so what am I missing?

True or false: each hydraulic pump serves each and every flight control surface.

Kyle Rodgers

True or false: each hydraulic pump serves each and every flight control surface.

False. But I still don't get it (sorry). Maybe a hydraulic diagram with the lines and all will help :)

Jaime Beneyto

Yes, that's what I thought, but what happens if the hydraulic circuit doesn't allow for actuator displacement as is the case for the Flaperons like Kevin said? They should be "locked" in place. Obviously they are not, so what am I missing?

I didn't mean just the flaperons, I meant all powered flight control surfaces. Whether they droop or not may depend on how much leakage there is in the system, if the servo valve was centered when pressure was removed, and so on. It may be elevators are more likely to droop, I don't know. Only someone with a very detailed knowledge of the aircraft would know for sure.

The column is angled forwards slightly when neutral. That would mean a slight bias from the mass of the column towards elevator nose down as pressure is removed, which could open up a return path past the servo. That might be why the elevators droop. All speculation on my part as I don't know the detailed design of the system. If there are bypass valves in the system then they would positively open a return path and allow the surfaces to droop.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thanks Kevin,

Yes, the systems are complicated. To really understand what's going on one would need the actual hydraulic system diagrams (the maintenance/engineering diagrams, not the watered down diagrams for the pilots), and I don't think those are easily obtainable by the general public.

Jaime Beneyto

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Don't think it's a 'time' thing, was on an AC 77W yesterday from Toronto to Vancouver and when I boarded the airplane had been on the ground for atleast an hour and half if not more on the turnaround. The flaperons nor the ailerons were drooped. I have observed the same behavior on Saudi 777s at Jeddah last year.

Not complaining about the PMDG behavior at all, I actually quite like the droop :), just trying to understanding why the real world behavior seems to be different.

Will try and catch a picture today on my return flight, unfortunately I am not on a 777 today but might be able to catch one on the ramp at Vancouver.

Regards,

Asad Kamal

Don't think it's a 'time' thing

Hydraulic pressure takes time to fall, if it is allowed to fall.

just trying to understanding why the real world behavior seems to be different.

Likely because their config is different from the config you have in the sim.

Some operators do things differently. Some operators will turn off system A, but leave system B on, for 737s, as an example.

Kyle Rodgers