Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

The worst delidding video known to man!

And sadly it comes from Linus Tech Tips. I usually quite like Linus's stuff, but god knows what he was up to here. 

He grabs and old thermal paste he has lying around, slaps it on the die in a haphazard fashion, and then tells us that this is why he doesn't condone de-lidding, because you only shave two degrees of the temperature.

He briefly mentions that some use Liquid Pro or Ultra, but seems oblivious [or pertains to be] to the fact the the use of Pro or Ultra is the entire point of de-lidding, and that replacing Intel's reasonable TIM with another reasonable TIM won't result in significant temp reduction. He also seems oblivious to the fact that most achieve a reduction of 10-20 degrees.

The title of the video is a bit misleading.  Delidding is for the purpose of removing the heat spreader permanently. This video really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.  It's a stretch, but maybe he was trying to debunk the myth of resusing the heat spreader just by utilizing different paste.

Removing that heat spreader, enables the processor to radiate it's heat quicker to the cooling system interface, and combined with a high-grade paste, you can shave off quite a lot of degrees.

Linus's videos, for the most part, are informative, backed up with good knowledge and fact, but this one is way to sketchy to even consider it worthy of thought.  His on-screen disclaimer, the way he presents himself, it almost seems he was having an off day.  I take this with a grain of salt.  For anyone wishing to perform proper delidding, there are plenty of other videos on Youtube to follow.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

That's his opinion! Perhaps you could do a video to support your view!

Err... yes it is his opinion. And when one posts a video on your tube for all to see, expressing that opinion, others will critique that opinion. That's why there's a comments section on YouTube, for that very reason. Likewise we too are perfectly entitled to disagree with his opinion, and express that opinion here.

I respect the right to an opinion, and I reserve the right to a counter opinion.

As for a video supporting my viewpoint... why on Earth would I need to do that, when I can simply post a link to the results of a multitude of individuals who have de-lidded, which graphically demonstrates that Linus is talking nonsense.

Or maybe you'd like to check out the sticky in this sub forum regarding Ivy Bridge de-lidding!

As you can clearly see with your own eyes. De-lidding results vary from 10 degrees to 30 degrees. Not the 4 degrees Linus claims you would get with Liquid Pro!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide

The title of the video is a bit misleading.  Delidding is for the purpose of removing the heat spreader permanently. This video really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.  It's a stretch, but maybe he was trying to debunk the myth of resusing the heat spreader just by utilizing different paste.

Removing that heat spreader, enables the processor to radiate it's heat quicker to the cooling system interface, and combined with a high-grade paste, you can shave off quite a lot of degrees.

Linus's videos, for the most part, are informative, backed up with good knowledge and fact, but this one is way to sketchy to even consider it worthy of thought.  His on-screen disclaimer, the way he presents himself, it almost seems he was having an off day.  I take this with a grain of salt.  For anyone wishing to perform proper delidding, there are plenty of other videos on Youtube to follow.

-Jim

•  

Delidding is for the purpose of removing the heat spreader permanently. 

No it's not. Delidding is the process of removing the Integrated Heat Spreader. Whether you decide to loosely place it back on or go for direct die mounting. Since Ivy Bridge, by far the most common method is to replace the Intel TIM with Liquid Pro or Ultra and then place the IHS back on loosely. This is what is commonly meant by de-lidding. Only a small minority try direct die contact.

It's a stretch, but maybe he was trying to debunk the myth of resusing the heat spreader just by utilizing different paste.

Don't believe so Jim. In fact he clearly states that his CPU was only two degrees cooler. He then went on to say that "some use the liquid TIM, and shave off another couple of degrees". So 4 degrees then for Liquid Pro, which is clearly utterly wrong.

Removing that heat spreader, enables the processor to radiate it's heat quicker to the cooling system interface,

Like I say Jim, IHS total removal isn't necessary. Intel actually use fairly decent Dow Corning TIM. The issue though is the adhesive, we end up with a big gap filled with TIM. Liquid Pro or Ultra is in a very thin layer, and with no adhesive temp drops can be very surprising. 

See the Ivy Bridge de-lidding sticky.

the way he presents himself, it almost seems he was having an off day. 

I find it very strange to be honest. He's clearly technically well versed, but paradoxically isn't aware of the proper de-lidding technique, for example the importance of using Liquid Pro or Ultra. When he implies only 4 degrees drop with Pro or Ultra, it's like he's oblivious to the vast number of 10-30 degree temp drop examples out there.

Stay calm Martin, no one is arguing with you.  I think you did make a point by bringing this video to light, but understand that to the layman, they would actually put stock in what Linus says without researching further.  It's like mainstream media in how they tend to not report all  of the news.  Many people will take it as read while others would go to other sources to glean further info from there.

Water off a ducks back I would say, or taken with a grain of salt...all the same to me. :)

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Stay calm Martin, no one is arguing with you. 

-Jim

you are misinterpreting my tone Jim. I am calm.

you are misinterpreting my tone Jim. I am calm.

I wasn't getting snarky or sarcastic...just trying to lighten the mood. :)

-Jim

He's definitely missing the point. With CLP/CLU, the reduction can be 20C or more (18 - 20C for my 4770K and CLP). If you delid only to replace Intel's TIM with your own equivalent, you haven't really changed anything.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If you delid only to replace Intel's TIM with your own equivalent, you haven't really changed anything.

Precisely! He's not unintelligent, so surely he realises this.

Some in the comments section at YouTube have suggested he has been encouraged to discredit De-lidding by a third party. Who Knows.

Precisely! He's not unintelligent, so surely he realises this.

Some in the comments section at YouTube have suggested he has been encouraged to discredit De-lidding by a third party. Who Knows.

Intel and resellers certainly have an interest in discouraging de-lidding, due to warranty issues. However trying to spread false information when there are so many videos, forum posts etc. proving the opposite just seems desperate and ineffective.

De-lidding should absolutely be discouraged *unless* you accept that your warranty will be void, and there's a risk of damaging and destroying the CPU. However it has been proven effective in reducing the temperature and allowing for higher overclocks.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Stay calm Martin, no one is arguing with you.  I think you did make a point by bringing this video to light, but understand that to the layman, they would actually put stock in what Linus says without researching further.  It's like mainstream media in how they tend to not report all  of the news.  Many people will take it as read while others would go to other sources to glean further info from there.

Water off a ducks back I would say, or taken with a grain of salt...all the same to me. :)

-Jim

I very much agree with you Jim.

Martin, I think you are very knowledgeable and I will definitely keep your opinion in mind if I ever encounter this delidding issue. I myself had no idea it existed before you posted the thread. THANKS!

Could it be that Linus is throwing a rule of thumb for those people who, like myself, are NOT computer pro's?

For example, let's say I know how to skid a car. But if I had to speak publicly I would say: Don't do it, it's dangerous and you're gonna wear off your tires without any benefits. Now, in private and among other drivers I will gladly talk about skidding, its benefits, its dangers etc.

he has been encouraged to discredit De-lidding by a third party

Yeah, that might very well be the real reason.

Maybe if you talked "in private" with Linus he would tell you the real truth.

Remember guys, as Lionel Hutz says, there's the truth, and there's the truth!.

BTW: I'm not hereby implying that this thread should not have been opened or anything like that, quite the contrary! :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Could it be that Linus is throwing a rule of thumb for those people who, like myself, are NOT computer pro's?

For example, let's say I know how to skid a car. But if I had to speak publicly I would say: Don't do it, it's dangerous and you're gonna wear off your tires without any benefits. Now, in private and among other drivers I will gladly talk about skidding, its benefits, its dangers etc.

No I don't think so to be honest. Not with the  inaccurate statements he makes. He tells us he experienced a 2 degree drop in temp [not surprising as he used standard TIM] and that "some" [no it's the majority] use "the liquid TIM" and shave of "a couple more", so 4 degrees total with Liquid Pro or Ultra...  when in reality it's a 10-30 degrees reduction in temperature.  

He then goes on to tell us that this is why he doesn't condone de-lidding, because the temp drop is very small and doesn't enable higher overclocks or reduce CPU degradation.... he's propagating  inaccurate information basically.

Martin, I think you are very knowledgeable and I will definitely keep your opinion in mind if I ever encounter this delidding issue. I myself had no idea it existed before you posted the thread. THANKS!

For anyone not familiar with the practice of de-lidding, the Ivy Bridge de-lidding sticky in this very forum is a good read.

De-lidding in order to replace the Intel TIM, with Liquid Pro or Ultra, and to dispense with the adhesive allowing the IHS to be closer to the die, is a practice that began with Ivy Bridge. To be honest, there's such a vast amount of data now from the multitude of individuals that have done this, that the video by Linus is  bizarre.

Intel and resellers certainly have an interest in discouraging de-lidding, due to warranty issues. However trying to spread false information when there are so many videos, forum posts etc. proving the opposite just seems desperate and ineffective.

De-lidding should absolutely be discouraged *unless* you accept that your warranty will be void, and there's a risk of damaging and destroying the CPU. However it has been proven effective in reducing the temperature and allowing for higher overclocks.

In the Asus/Intel pod cast I linked to last week, Intel emphasizes the issue of "pump out" and Asus went on to confirm that they've experienced this too. It's the phenomenon whereby the Liquid TIM pumps out from under the IHS due to expansion and contraction over time. However, the individuals I have spoken to that have used the liquid TIM, say they have not experienced this at all and from what I can gather it's a rare phenomenon. Again, some might argue that Intel and Asus might be actively trying to discourage the practice. All speculation, conspiracy theory, and I hate conspiracy theory, but interesting all the same.

Actually. I read a forum post yesterday, on the OCUK forum, where it was claimed that someone sent a faulty CPU in under warranty that had been de-lidded, and Intel were said to have been okay with it as long as the IHS was glued back on. Don't know how true that is.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18537093

One of the comments at YouTube...

+Nerdburger85 This isn't noob'ery. I've been bumping the LTT thread for months, he won't reply. He knows it's wrong, i'm almost certain it was an Intel promotion. "look, our TIM isn't bad".