Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

No longer at the 'top of the heap'...Intel is cutting 12,000 jobs next month...

Due to poor sales of PC's...Intel has announced yesterday, that they will be cutting 12,000 jobs from their org...or about 11 percent of their entire workforce, due to poor sales of their CPU's.

Man, do we all remember the 'days of Intel'...and the sticker moniker , Intel Inside on most every new PC and laptop from the 80's and 90's, coming off everybody's factory floor...

The sun sets....at the close of  every technological 'day'.... 

I don't think our hobby should be expecting that breakthrough CPU....Moore's Law is finished.....it quietly died in the corner.....and 12,000 corpses are about to be thrown onto the funeral pyre, next month....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-intel-results-idUSKCN0XG2NM

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/19/technology/intel-layoffs/

I hear a match head being struck....

• Upvote 1

Due to poor sales of PC's...Intel has announced yesterday, that they will be cutting 12,000 jobs from their org...or about 11 percent of their entire workforce, due to poor sales of their CPU's.

Man, do we all remember the 'days of Intel'...and the sticker moniker , Intel Inside on most every new PC and laptop from the 80's and 90's, coming off everybody's factory floor...

The sun sets....at the close of  every technological 'day'.... 

I don't think our hobby should be expecting that breakthrough CPU....Moore's law is finished.....it quietly died in the corner.....and 12,000 corpses are about to be thrown on the funeral pyre, next month....

I hear a match head being struck....

I agree Mitch, just read that news. The PC has been in decline for a while now and I see no rebirth of it. It is sad indeed.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I do not see where they are stopping the development of new processors and chips and Moore's law is finished).  I think automation has taken over where only humans could handle the job in the past.  They only made $2 Billion in profits last year and homes (mansions) and cars are getting more costly for the Executives and so they need more profits (just joking I think).  They will continue to make chips and microprocessors - http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/23/intel-eliminating-tick-tock-moores-law/.  What scares me is the fact new chips and processors will only work in Windows 10.  I suspect Microsoft will do the same when they release Windows 11 to force us to buy a new system (if we upgrade).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

In all of the press releases, they also said that they are making a push in the gaming PC market. So I dont care about how they run the rest of their business, as long as I get the processors I want! :wink: . 

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Well, I did my part to help out Intel over the years - bought about five generations of their chips :Tounge:

In all of the press releases, they also said that they are making a push in the gaming PC market. So I dont care about how they run the rest of their business, as long as I get the processors I want! :wink: . 

Hope they are true to their word.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Jim, I distinctly remember MS stating that Win10 will be the final end number for the series, and that anything "new" will be simply upgrades to Win10...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What scares me is the fact new chips and processors will only work in Windows 10.  I suspect Microsoft will do the same when they release Windows 11 to force us to buy a new system (if we upgrade).

Best regards,

A new OS is required for new hardware. I don't see what's scary about moving forward. For years, motherboards haven't been much different when it comes to CPU upgrades - and that's not a free upgrade.

Brandon Filer

Hope they are true to their word.

I doubt they would lie to analysts. That would be a death sentence for their stock price. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Yes Windows 10 is the last release from Microsoft

The PC Desktop market doesn't have to be big to move forward. Intel can adapt to its market and still be innovative and profitable. We all know that the PC will be around for a long time just not in every household anymore because Smartphones are now good enough for mass consumers

Matthew Kane

The problem is physical, not mental. The fact is, the economic physical limit of CPU speed has been reached. Hang on to your 4Ghz CPU as it's the fastest you'll ever see. At least in my lifetime.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I don't think our hobby should be expecting that breakthrough CPU....Moore's Law is finished.....it quietly died in the corner.....and 12,000 corpses are about to be thrown onto the funeral pyre, next month....

Intel is far from Moore's Law ... it's just that Moore's Law no longer fits Intel's desired profit margins and revenue streams.  Intel WANT the mobile market and have given up the desktop market in order to "attempt" to achieve their goals.  Intel can (and has) made 6GHz CPUs, but the design isn't "efficient", uses more space, uses more power, generates more heat, will cost more to produce making it less "profitable" and small market of potential buyers.

I've posted this in other threads, but Intel has NO desktop competition, so there really is no pressing need for them to introduce faster desktop computers -- it's just economics, not really Moore's Law.

With that said, there could be some future technologies down the road that will, again, make it attractive (read good profits) to produce faster CPUs ... who knows, maybe it'll give AMD time to catch up ... stranger things have happened ;)

Cheers, Rob.

One day we will be using Quantum and look back at the Binary Generation as a retro wonderment. My old 80486DX4 will always be my favorite Processor from the Intel Generation. FS4 and FS5.1 was as fun back then as FSX is today, but we were seeing many firsts that we take for granted now. 

The Pentium brought the PC to the masses and Windows95 dumbed it down for better accessibility for everyone, Prior to that we were an elite bunch of hobbyists

Matthew Kane

When you're king of the hill and the competition is 4 years behind in terms of performance I could see why they are cutting jobs. I'm sure some number cruncher came up with that to make their profit margins even larger.

PC's aren't going anywhere and nobody is doing any serious work on a tablet or smartphone, no matter how you cut it.

I like my phone for when I'm bored but it'll never replace my desktop. Honestly this doesn't surprise me we haven't seen any major jumps in cpu tech for years now. I mean we should be at 12ghz by now but we are still amazed when somone gets a chip to 5ghz on an overclock.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.