Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

No longer at the 'top of the heap'...Intel is cutting 12,000 jobs next month...

ytzpilot:

Quantum computers will probably always be way out of the reach of regular folks due to the near absolute-zero temps needed to run them - unless, of course, there's absolute breakthrough...

As soon as AMD starts beating Intel in performance, we'll all suddenly get to see those 6GHz Intel CPUs ... how ironic, CPU advancement is dependent on AMD's progress.

I hate my phone, I must have dry fingers or something but my phone rarely does what I command it to do, about 50/50 ... and the phone screen size is enough to make anyone go blind without a year or two :)

Cheers, Rob.

With serious competition in the performance desktop segment, those faster Intel CPUs would suddenly materialize at < $300 as if by magic :)

However Moore's Law is not coming back. Intel aren't the only ones who have struggled with new manufacturing processes. GPUs have been stuck at 28nm since 2012, and nearly every semiconductor company has struggled when going much below that (Snapdragon 810, NAND flash that fails to retain data and performance etc.) . At the same time, process shrinks haven't resulted in the usual benefits like reduced power consumption and heat. At this small scale of manufacturing, features are literally just atoms across, so the laws of physics become very real.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Supposing AMD's can produce faster CPU (within the next few years), they would be $1000 not $300 (history would demonstrate that the performance leader typically sells their top tier "desktop" CPUs at around $1000).  Intel would then bring out their 6GHz CPUs at $1200-$1500.

Moore's Law is not confined to current "profitable" manufacturing processes.  7nm appears to be the limit of existing "old" technology/manufacture ring.  But we already have quantum computers and beyond that there is neurosynaptic, silicon photonics, carbon nantubes, III-V, graphene, low-power transistors ... etc. etc.

The issue is one of economics, there is still plenty of physics left to keep Moore's Law alive and kicking.

Cheers, Rob.

As soon as AMD starts beating Intel in performance, we'll all suddenly get to see those 6GHz Intel CPUs ... how ironic, CPU advancement is dependent on AMD's progress.

I hate my phone, I must have dry fingers or something but my phone rarely does what I command it to do, about 50/50 ... and the phone screen size is enough to make anyone go blind without a year or two :)

AMD produces both Graphics Chips as well as CPUs and Intel has put graphic processing on their CPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia started producing CPUs themselves. That might liven things up a bit.

Your love for your phone cracked me up. I just bought a Blackberry Classic for the same reason. I don't use many apps on my phone so the trackball and keyboard far outweighs the lack of apps for it. Now I just need to figure out how to turn the touch screen off without turning off the display.

Ted 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia started producing CPUs themselves.

Already have, Tegra X1 for their Shield device.

Cheers, Rob.

There you go! As you said, competition is what we need. I'm happy to see that.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I will claim the sky is falling when it is no longer practical to upgrade to a new PC that has reasonably better performance for my targeted use than the one it replaces.   As for how this unfolds I won't be worried, though I do feel for those losing their jobs.

The GPU has replaced the CPU in terms of where the massive performance gains are to be found.   We should (soon) be considering the GPU as essential to computing as the CPU; it has become the modern co-processor and industry is busy exploiting this capability.  I've used GPU based imaging filters whose performance is stunningly fast compared to their CPU counterparts.  Hopefully other such innovations will soon be trickling into the consumer realm.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

There is no impetus for Intel to innovate thus were stuck with marginal side grades for the foreseeable future. They (Intel) are not going to spend millions creating new processes when the only competition is in the bargain segment and they are beholden to their shareholders.

Intel just assumes that we are a bunch of lemmings who will run out and spend another thousand on their latest and greatest regardless...and they are partially right, what other viable choice is there for high performance gaming PC?

Can't say I'm surprised by the poor sales of CPUs. Smartphone sales are way up these days. So instead of using a desktop PC or notebook, everything is done from a phone.

Depresses me to see where computers are going nowadays... Powerful PCs dying off and being replaced with simplified tablets with simplified apps.. marrying of hardware and software generations that limit combinations of use... companies going to cloud-only model, forcing us to rent our software... Overclocking being locked out of the majority of cpus and bios...

There used to be a lot more emphasis on making powerful computers and powerful software, more freedom in the choices we could make, and more fun being an enthusiast. Sad to see how locked down and profit-driven the entire industry has become.