Sign in to follow this  
Guest srstever

Night textures for BEV?

Guest David Lee 2

The new Bird's Eye View textures are certainly intriguing, despite being summer textures released as fall begins and the snow is already falling here in Colorado. What is unclear is whether night textures are included. Does anyone know? ThanksDavid

I know! ;)The autogen has night lighting, but currently the underlying ground textures do not. You will see whatever night textures you have now at night. BEV quality night textures are planned to be done around the 1st of the year, and will FREE to users. Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

So now that there is accurate terrain and roads, the autogen should be fixed (by MS that is). It would look alot more realistic if the houses were aligned to the residential streets and the buildings to the main roads etc.. And autogen in urban areas should display in grid fashion. Currently the autogen pops up anywhere...John.

One thing nice about the way autogen currently works, is it can be made to line up with with specific spots on the texture underneath, if you want to take the time with the autogen annotator. Granted, there are a lot of things that could be done to improve the autogen system.Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

A follow up on this night texture business, if I want to install a night texture set (or any other textures for that matter) from another author can I simply do so by copying the files into FS9/Scenery/World/Texture without upsetting my BEV configuration?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest allcott

>So now that there is accurate terrain and roads, the autogen>should be fixed (by MS that is). It would look alot more>realistic if the houses were aligned to the residential>streets and the buildings to the main roads etc.. And autogen>in urban areas should display in grid fashion. Currently the>autogen pops up anywhere...>>John.That might work for America. But the rest of the world doesn't share the grd pattern. Their needs to be either an option to turn gridding on and off, or a wider variety of autogen placement to reflect local conditions. Allcott

Guest allcott

>A follow up on this night texture business, if I want to>install a night texture set (or any other textures for that>matter) from another author can I simply do so by copying the>files into FS9/Scenery/World/Texture without upsetting my BEV>configuration?>>BrucebI'm pretty sure the answer is yes, so long as the night texture set doens't include any replacements for texture sets already covered by BEV - the easy solution is to install the night textures, then run the BEV configurator again to be sure.Allcott

Guest srstever

Absolutely....go for it...You can easily install any night textures you want...and when the night texture set is available from BEV we'll make it so you can choose between BEV and your pre-BEV setup.StephenDeveloper

Guest srstever

>So now that there is accurate terrain and roads, the autogen>should be fixed (by MS that is). It would look alot more>realistic if the houses were aligned to the residential>streets and the buildings to the main roads etc.. And autogen>in urban areas should display in grid fashion. Currently the>autogen pops up anywhere...>>John.John...I'm sure the day will come when all the roads being accurately placed that autogen will be as well... but under current coding conditions and the way FS lays autogen, it won't happen until way down the road. Here'd the reason why...Autogen is currently associated with the terrain texture sets. So each individual set has up to 7 textures and each one of those textures has an associated .agn file. That file can be created by an end user to lay autogen on a custom texture if they'd like. Now...imagine MegaScenery on steroids... if you have a megascenery product and have looked into it's file folders then you're aware that in order to create the area depicted it takes thousands of individual textures, far more than what is used to cover the entire world with FS9 default textures. That's because every square mile of the area depicted is different from the square mile next to it. So...now associate that with autogen...an individual autogen .agn file would have to be created to associate every single texture utilized by the megascenery texture set to accurately depict the houses and building layout presented in the scenery. WHEW!The exact same thing would apply to putting houses accurately along residential streets as they are laid out by UT for example. Individual .agn files would have to be made for every square mile. I'm not sure about you, but I don't think my computer has room for a terrabyte hard drive.So meanwhile...we have custom textures such as BEV to sorta work as an in-between solution until technolog catches up with dreams.StephenBirdsEyeView