Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Really odd problem with parking brake

I've posted this to the iFly forums also, but I'm hoping for a bigger audience here.

I have an issue which seems to be isolated to the iFly 737NG, but am still testing other aircraft to confirm it.

After setting/releasing the parking brakes the first time, FSX will no longer recognize that the brake has been set.  I get a momentary flash of the red 'Parking brake' message, but then it goes away and if the aircraft is running it will start to roll.  The parking brake simply refuses to set.

What is really odd is that the parking brake on the pedestal appears to functions normally.  Meaning, that although FSX won't recognized the brake has been set, the brake on pedestal shows that it is.

I have used both FSUIPC4 and the FSX key assignment with similar results. 

Another indication that it is a FSX problem is that GSX comes back with a 'parking brake must be set' message when i attempt a push-back, etc.

I have tested my QW757 and Level-D 767 and they don't seem to share this.

In February I did a complete 'as administrator' reinstall of FSX and all software and yesterday did a uninstall/install of the iFly 737NG software with all anti-virus software turned off. 

All flight sim software resides on its own drive, and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit UAC is turned off.

This one has gotten me puzzled, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Okay, I guess getting the problem in writing helped. 

A few hours more testing and it appears the problem lies in the iFly 737NG 'Cold and Dark' panel.  I'm not sure if that is the case with other 737NG installations, but it sure is with mine.

So, thanks for allowing me the space to think out loud, but consider the what resolved.  The why?  That's for another day. :-)

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I'm pleased you posted this. I have the same problem in FSX-SE with all aeroplanes, but mainly noticeable with the Captain Sim L1011 and Aerosoft Airbus. I don't have anything by iFly, and don't always use a cold and dark setup. I'm almost convinced it was doing it even with all controls physically disconnected.

Please post if you learn anything new, as will I.

Rob Jones.

Sorry Ernie, I would have chimed in earlier with a response, but my issues pertaining to what you are going through may not have been the same problem.  Whenever I had issue with the parking break not staying engaged, had to do with my controller not being hooked up, which I find odd because with the controller connected, I could still use the sim hotkey.  Good to hear you got it sorted for now, despite the fact that the problem lies with the aircraft and why the cold and dark state would cause the brakes to be unresponsive is indeed a puzzle.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks Jim,

Yep.. No problems with my controller or the FSX parking brake key assignment.  For some reason the panel caused FSX and GSX to interpret the brake as not being set.

It sucks because I prefer starting as cold and dark and the panel problem rules that out, but I'll live with it.

Ernest Pergrem

Weird that you should post this because I stated having parking break or break issues as well last night.

I was flying the PMDG T7 into Sao Paulo and on approach the little red brake message popped up in the lower left corner then disappeared. Then when I landed the autobrakes came on as expected as did the parking break and I stopped from 150kts to 30kts in like 100 feet. Tapping the brakes a few time made the message go away but when I was taxing in the brakes started engaging themselves again.

In my case I suspect my X52 is causing the error as I have the brakes linked to the trigger button and my X52 has been acting weird lately causing view resets and stuff like that. It's about 8 years old and is due to be replaced soon.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Could  be  wrong  here  but I noticed   cant  remember  what aircraft I was  in  when loaded   the  parking brake   was  set  since it  is  set  as  my default   aircraft load. Released  the brake  and  couldn't  set it  again,  after  turning on the hyd  system  than was  able  to set  the parking brake   so  most likely  you need  to set  the hyd  to on 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Released the brake and couldn't set it again, after turning on the hyd system than was able to set the parking brake so most likely you need to set the hyd to on

Thanks.. I'll give it a try.

Ernest Pergrem