Sign in to follow this  
TheBoom

Blurries then Terrain.dll crash

I just had this ctd and never saw this one before. Before this I was having a issue with blurries and I think it could be related.

Did a quick Google search and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the solution for this? Though there are some that claim it is do to with AM settings.

Well on the bright side at least know I now what's causing them blurries.

The AM I had one during the ctd was 221 if it helps.

What sort of scenery were you flying over when the blurries occurred?  I used to have that issue with ORBX's England scenery.  Been a while since I flew out that way, so I can't see whether I still get that problem.  I also don't use Affinity Mask at all in my setup, just straight settings changes in P3D and also without nVidia Inspector.  On a laptop, I get excellent performance, and there's a lot to say about that. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

What sort of scenery were you flying over when the blurries occurred?  I used to have that issue with ORBX's England scenery.  Been a while since I flew out that way, so I can't see whether I still get that problem.  I also don't use Affinity Mask at all in my setup, just straight settings changes in P3D and also without nVidia Inspector.  On a laptop, I get excellent performance, and there's a lot to say about that. :)

-Jim

Thanks for the help. I use global + vector + openLC Europe. Also I have been reading a lot of conflicting posts about AM as of P3D 3.2. Steve still recommends an AM, but it seems to get worse on my system with one.

After today I might just roll back to good old 3.1.

Thanks for the help. I use global + vector + openLC Europe. Also I have been reading a lot of conflicting posts about AM as of P3D 3.2. Steve still recommends an AM, but it seems to get worse on my system with one.

After today I might just roll back to good old 3.1.

Who's Steve?  Recommendations are just that, not requirements, and since everyone's systems are not the same, results may very.  I would recommend (see what I did there? lol), is start with a fresh p3d.cfg, load up your aircraft of choice and re-fly the route again and see if the blurries return.

If it helps to have a benchmark, my system has a gtx 980M gpu w/4gb of vram, which is equal to the desktop 770.  I have my settings in P3D set at a moderate level, not overdoing anything.  I never reinstalled Vector, just for the simple fact of the headaches I got before using it.  Some folks use it and like it while others use it and have issues or like me, just avoid it altogether.  I find that ORBX scenery generally puts enough of a load on the system without having to add in more stress, but that's my opinion and I won't recommend you uninstall anything you have if you like using it.

P3D v3.2 is very stable on my system, which is surprising, but it's more of an evolution.  P3D v3.1 was decent on my system before, but definitely needed the upgrade, which I got and am happy I did.  Going back to 3.1 may or may not resolve your issue but ask yourself if it is necessary to downgrade, just for the fact that you may have to reinstall all of your content...food for thought.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

If it helps to have a benchmark, my system has a gtx 980M gpu w/4gb of vram, which is equal to the desktop 770.  I have my settings in P3D set at a moderate level, not overdoing anything.  I never reinstalled Vector, just for the simple fact of the headaches I got before using it.  Some folks use it and like it while others use it and have issues or like me, just avoid it altogether.  I find that ORBX scenery generally puts enough of a load on the system without having to add in more stress, but that's my opinion and I won't recommend you uninstall anything you have if you like using it.

P3D v3.2 is very stable on my system, which is surprising, but it's more of an evolution.  P3D v3.1 was decent on my system before, but definitely needed the upgrade, which I got and am happy I did.  Going back to 3.1 may or may not resolve your issue but ask yourself if it is necessary to downgrade, just for the fact that you may have to reinstall all of your content...food for thought.

-Jim

I have a 6700k at 4.7ghz and a 970gtx. I'm 99% sure its not hardware related. I'm probably going to take AM off and give a shot for another day.

Actually if I were to roll back I would just uninstall content.msi and client.msi and reinstall their 3.1 versions. The problem lies with content.msi. Something in there (coding likely) changed and is causing these new issues. I'm not the only one unfortunately.

Regards,

Shanan

What Wills said, take out AM.  Since v3.0, I never found a need for it.  Also, try backing your in-sim settings down a little and see if that helps.  Your system is more powerful than mine, so you shouldn't be getting the issues you are seeing.  If you don't mind, send some screenshots our way so we can see what your in-sim settings are.  If you're up for it, you can also go here:  http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html and look at how his sim is setup.  His info can be valuable.

-Jim

What Wills said, take out AM.  Since v3.0, I never found a need for it.  Also, try backing your in-sim settings down a little and see if that helps.  Your system is more powerful than mine, so you shouldn't be getting the issues you are seeing.  If you don't mind, send some screenshots our way so we can see what your in-sim settings are.  If you're up for it, you can also go here:  http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html and look at how his sim is setup.  His info can be valuable.

-Jim

Yes I've looked at Robs settings many a time, the settings I have are exactly what I had in 3.0/3.1. Playing around with them did nothing. Even default settings yield blurries. This is something else entirely I believe.

FFTF values don't seem to work either, locked or unlocked fps. Tried 0.1 to 0.6 and no difference in scenery loading or fps/smoothness. What do you have your texture bandwidth multi and texture max load at though? 

I can take a few screens of the blurries when I do another flight tomorrow. The terrain.dll ctd seems to be a one time thing though. Didn't occur again through the rest of the flight.

Edit: I did notice that with AM=221 there were the least amount of blurries while 244 was second and 116 was horrible. I should mention that if I let P3D use the first core (be it an AM or of its own accord) I get stutters every second. Which is why I probably didn't think of removing the AM entirely. Either way I will give it one last go and see how it pans out.

One more thing, apart from the licensing fix are there any other notable differences between 3.2.2 and 3.2.3? I'm on 3.2.2, though I'm quite sure there aren't any drastic changes between the two.

Thanks for the help.

My settings in the cfg are virgin.  Since I installed V3.2, I never touched it and it works beautifully for me...go figure.

-Jim

One more thing, apart from the licensing fix are there any other notable differences between 3.2.2 and 3.2.3? I'm on 3.2.2, though I'm quite sure there aren't any drastic changes between the two.

No, that's the only difference.

Re blurries, try turning tessellation off (requires p3d restart) and see if things improve.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Ok so, having tried everything suggested here and I could think of, the blurries refused to disappear. Rolled back to 3.1 and even 3.0 and same thing.

The only thing I didn't roll back was scenery.msi, so unless that's the problem, I can't seem to think of anything else.

Either way, I've decided to live with them for now. Hopefully a future update will resolve this for me.

Update : Solved!! (For the most part)

Funny how some things don't change much even after 10 years.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/317709-blurries-fix-for-fsx-experimental/page-7

Playing around with these 3, swap wait timeout, texture max load and FFTF did the trick.

Curse... I thought those fixes where dead and buried as far as P3D was concerned.  :)

That's a long thread, what values did you end up using?

Thanks,

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I had to use FFTF 0.75, swap 2 and TML 30-60.

Also external lock of about 33 fps

I should probably add that it's more of a temporary workaround than a proper fix. At least 90-95% clear and sharp terrain.

One more thing, changing LOD to more than the default max of 6.5 will make things worse.