Sign in to follow this  
Terrydew

P3D taking over by year end

32-bit sims won't become a thing of the past until the hardware (read CPU and GPU) becomes available to run the 64-bit replacements, not that it won't happen, but it will be later rather than sooner.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Its a context issue. Remember the is talking about their customers. Not the entire market. FSX Steam still has far more users than P3D does but they may not be active in the 3rd party addon community so they are not ORBX customers. The addon, 3rd party, patrons are reflected in his number and he projects that community will move up to a 85% clip. 

We have no idea about DTG's sim and what it will hold once 3rd party adoption comes about. So I wont add my conjecture as to the adoption rate for that platform until we know more. If it is indeed 64 bit, hardware optimized, and has the addons that I want, I dont see why P3D would still be an option unless something drastic happens at LM. It remains the best solution at the moment, but we will see what the future holds. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

32-bit sims won't become a thing of the past until the hardware (read CPU and GPU) becomes available to run the 64-bit replacements, not that it won't happen, but it will be later rather than sooner.

For the rest of the industry, 32-bit is already a thing of the past. X-Plane moved to 64-bit years ago and most games released in the last few years are 64-bit as well.

64-bit P3D is primarily held back by the existing legacy ecosystem, although some backwards compatibility could certainly be retained. XML gauges, air files, cfg files etc. are not dependent on the architecture, only actual compiled code like plug-ins, dll's etc. are.  However many FSX/P3D addons rely on such external modules to extend the limited functionality of the sim, so it would break a lot of addons. It might be possible to write a "wrapper" to run 32-bit plugins within a 64-bit sim, but that alone would require a lot of work and might not be compatible with everything, defeating the purpose in the first place.

The way I see it, they're preparing for the move to 64-bit by getting everything else out of the way first (optimizations, bug fixes, modernized folder structure, modern rendering pathways etc.) so that they can focus on the 64-bit update in the future.

The DTG sim is indeed an unknown at this point. It could be a revolution, but it might just be FSX with a bit of spit shine.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

32-bit sims won't become a thing of the past until the hardware (read CPU and GPU) becomes available to run the 64-bit replacements

We already have 64 bit hardware it's been available for well over a decade, Xplane 10 has been 64bit since 2011, DCS World almost as long and both run very well on today's 64bit CPU's

• Upvote 2

but it might just be FSX with a bit of spit shine.

Exactly and from what I have seen not as much shine as P3D all ready has - the minute I saw ORBX providing ground textures that sealed it for me - a bit more polished FSX is not my idea of a new wow simulator - I'll wait for a 64bit P3D 

More food for thought - my 32 bit P3D PMDG products will be updated to 64bit for P3D for free 

​DTG 64bit not free as far as I know

• Upvote 2

Rich Sennett

a bit more polished FSX is not my idea of a new wow simulator

But that's all P3D is really and its still only 32bit

the minute I saw ORBX providing ground textures that sealed it for me

What textures are you running in P3D, Rich ?

But that's all P3D is really and its still only 32bit

What textures are you running in P3D, Rich ?

64 is on its way my friend

Orbx global - hence my point - all ready have them 

Rich Sennett

64 is on its way my friend

I would love to see some concrete evidence that supports that claim, and if it's really on it's way in what time scale can we expect to see it ?

I would love to see some concrete evidence that supports that claim, and if it's really on it's way in what time scale can we expect to see it ?

You know I cant answer that  :wink:

Rich Sennett

I wonder how he would know this? In other words, where the data comes from? If you get a new orbx product, it comes with a triple or quad installer. Does the installer send data back to orbx regarding your machine?

I wonder how he would know this? In other words, where the data comes from? If you get a new orbx product, it comes with a triple or quad installer. Does the installer send data back to orbx regarding your machine?

Thats a good question

Rich Sennett

But how about 64-bit GPUs?  Not yet, sports fans, and that's where the bottleneck will be with 64-bit sims and scenery using 4096 resolution.  I don't say it won't happen, but later rather than sooner.

Stew

products will be updated to 64bit for P3D for free

It will be a looooooooong while before P3D goes 64bit

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

FTX Central is either for FSX or P3D.  That's how they know.

Stew

It will be a looooooooong while before P3D goes 64bit

Not that long  :wink: Carlos 

Rich Sennett