Sign in to follow this  
Terrydew

P3D taking over by year end

Isnt a full reinstall needed with every new release? or can P3d installover the top

Depends on what you mean with 'new release'. A new full release (like going from v2 to v3) will require a full reinstall but updates won't.

The latest versions of P3D are divided into three segments which can be updated separately. A first install will always be a full install (using one main installer) but updates can be installed by only installing one part. Usually that will be the client part, which is the smalles part: uninstall the old client, install the new client and you are done. This keeps all installed add ons installed and working (provided they are compatible with the new version). 

I myself however always do a full reinstall simply because I like to do so.  :wink: Quite often I even do a full Windows reinstall. 

Looking much better is purely subjective, imo. I've seen screenshots from guys using P3D and I wouldn't say it's *much* better. There may be some improvement, but again, that would be a subjective opinion. Stable? I've seen posts of folks complaining of OOMs in P3D, so, again, stable seems to depend on the user and his sim setup. To be kind, unquestionably superior seems to be an exaggerated claim. FSX and P3D are both 32-bit sims. P3D admittedly handles VAS problems better than FSX, but that doesn't qualify it as "unquestionably superior". A 64-bit sim, on the other hand, has the potential to be unquestionably superior. But not P3D.

I have flown every version of MSFS since the first in the late 80's. FSX finally convinced me to give up simming for years, because of the buggy erratic behavior of the program. Moving to P3D was like brand new experience. I don't have OOMs, stutters, CTDs, or any of the daily problems that FSX so easily generated. But if you like FSX, stick with it. I know someone that still uses Windows Vista and swears by it.  :wink:

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have flown every version of MSFS since the first in the late 80's. FSX finally convinced me to give up simming for years, because of the buggy erratic behavior of the program. Moving to P3D was like brand new experience. I don't have OOMs, stutters, CTDs, or any of the daily problems that FSX so easily generated. But if you like FSX, stick with it. I know someone that still uses Windows Vista and swears by it.  :wink:

Thank you for your reply, Bob.  Of course, I'm sure you've upgraded your hardware in the process of switching over to P3D.  That in itself would help with the issues you mention.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Thank you for your reply, Bob.  Of course, I'm sure you've upgraded your hardware in the process of switching over to P3D.  That in itself would help with the issues you mention.

Good point !

ZORAN

I never had those problems with FSX. Perhaps you don't know how to set it up properly? (Install > forget 'tweaks' > run)

From what I've seen, it doesn't look any better at all. In same cases, to me visually it looks far worse. The dreaded 'cartoon' look appears and looks worse then FSX. Tacky almost.

The clouds look TERRIBLE. I've been using fs9 out of necessity lately and default clouds look better then P3D's.

LM has simply developed a sim for the GTA kids brigade. The avatar inclusion has convinced me of that. Think I'll stay well clear....

Mark L.

LM has simply developed a sim for the GTA kids brigade.

LOL This must be one of the funniest posts ever on Avsim. And the most wrong one. Even of you do think P3D sucks big time, which you may and which isn't a problem, this remark couldn't be more opposite of the truth. Simply looking at the licensing options alone will show you this sim is NOT meant for the GTA kids brigade.

LOL This must be one of the funniest posts ever on Avsim. And the most wrong one. Even of you do think P3D sucks big time, which you may and which isn't a problem, this remark couldn't be more opposite of the truth. Simply looking at the licensing options alone will show you this sim is NOT meant for the GTA kids brigade.

You can lead a horse to water Jeroen  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Licensing options means jack all. Clever marketing. For suckers.

Walk into a flight school armed with your joystick and 'flight log' from P3D full 'professional' version saying you're ready to fly and you'll hear the instructors laughing their heads off from the next continent.

There's a sucker born every minute....

The problem Rich is that some people still believe that P3D is just FSX with a few  bug fixes. They are completely unaware of the significant differences under the hood which make P3D a completely different product with a few backward ties to FSX. As they keep moving forward, LM will broaden this gap substantially.

FSX, good and bad, is fixed in time - P3D is moving forward.

Vic

• Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The problem Rich is that some people still believe that P3D is just FSX with a few  bug fixes. They are completely unaware of the significant differences under the hood which make P3D a completely different product with a few backward ties to FSX. As they keep moving forward, LM will broaden this gap substantially.

Vic

1+ Well said Vic

Rich Sennett

Licensing options means jack all. Clever marketing. For suckers.

Walk into a flight school armed with your joystick and 'flight log' from P3D full 'professional' version saying you're ready to fly and you'll hear the instructors laughing their heads off from the next continent.

Firstly, no-one is dumb enough to do that, and secondly, that is not the intent of P3D at all.  It teaches principles, not actual flight proficiency.

• Upvote 1

Vic

P3D is moving forward all right, courtesy of 1000's of folks who have paid $50 and up for the privilege of being a beta tester.  Indeed clever marketing. 

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

To feed the troll or not to feed the troll ... oh what the heck it's Friday.

You obviously have never been thru flight school ... I did almost exactly what you indicated above at my FBO (KCCR).  Guess what I ran into for my FBO's simulator ... a RedBird motion sim running ... drum roll ... Prepar3D.  Instructor was impressed at how quickly I move thru the simulated scenarios primarily because of my home simulator use.  Simulator hours only count 1/2 towards real flight hours, but they do count when one is attempting to get their PPL.

d9ba968bdbb80142a5f38d471eb213d0.jpg

67bb0c8c868fad40046cdd83ae4087ba.jpg

aeb5ce439230fe3a388ae5dd30199971.jpg

And the rent a wreck ...

3ccbde5c3eea4b57488d4e1e89719200.jpg

this is ultimately where I'd like to end up using this rental

df2aa344099e2d291992b2b1e1e30ec0.jpg

All thanks to Prepar3D and some cash and some time (time being the hardest to make).

Cheers, Rob.

Hi,

...not too mention the cost of switching to P3D is not insignificant and the current basket of FSX add-ons I have invested in over the years, my plan is to stick with FSX and wait for the 64bit sim to come out from DTG.

At that point in time I would seriously consider upgrading my old flight sim rig from the i7-2600K I have to something more powerful. In essence I hope to leapfrog P3D altogether.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!