Sign in to follow this  
Nick Dobda

Ground speed vs programmed speed

VS has no speed protection.

Well here in the UK, you need to advise ATC (according to the AIP) any time ROC or ROD is going to be less than 500fpm. So that may need you to use V/S

But of course use V/S, thats if you know what you're doing, otherwise stay with the speed modes (ECON CLB or LVL CHG ).

As ever, the key is monitoring and airmanship.

• Upvote 1

Vernon Howells

(according to the AIP) any time ROC or ROD

Without the acronyms please. Spell it out.

Well here in the UK, you need to advise ATC (according to the AIP) any time ROC or ROD is going to be less than 500fpm. So that may need you to use V/S

Such a low rate of climb might be a consequence of using VS mode, not a reason to do so. ATC ask you to advise them, they don't say you can't use such a rate.

Google ;)

If you use plain English people might not have to.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If you use plain English people might not have to.

This is offtopic but I will say it anyway:

I remember a meeting in which many people were throwing different acronyms all the time. The meeting was going nowhere until someone smart enough said: Wait a minute: Can you please tell us what you mean by ABC and XYZ? We realized that we were meaning different things by the same acronyms. 

A stupid boss of mine also loved pretending to be smart by using acronyms nobody knew, and when they asked him he said "google it". Okay man, whatever...

In aviation we love acronyms. But unless there's a character restriction or the acronym is known by EVERYBODY (such as APU or ATC), there's no reason not to spell it out.

Also I've noticed that in the USA people like to overuse acronyms all the time. Hearing people say "O-M-G" (in speaking, not in writing) instead of "Oh My God" sounds, well, weird to me. But again, I'm not a native speaker so whatever...

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I'm in aviation but I don't love acronyms. I'd far rather say (or write) "rate of climb" than "ROC". Sometimes acronyms are useful, other times they get in the way. Bodies like NATO and NASA are especially guilty of creating them for no good reason other than to confuse the uninitiated.

Also I've noticed that in the USA people like to overuse acronyms all the time. Hearing people say "O-M-G" (in speaking, not in writing) instead of "Oh My God" sounds, well, weird to me. But again, I'm not a native speaker so whatever.

As a native English speaker I agree with you.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm in aviation but I don't love acronyms. I'd far rather say (or write) "rate of climb" than "ROC". Sometimes acronyms are useful, other times they get in the way. Bodies like NATO and NASA are especially guilty of creating them for no good reason other than to confuse the uninitiated.

If you think NATO and NASA are bad, you should see the U.S. Navy (sorry Aaron). A number of theirs aren't as much of acronyms as partial words slammed together and capitalized as if they were: COMNAVAIRFOR, COMNAVSEASYSCOM, COMSUBFOR...

...with my personal favorite being NAVFLIGHTDEMRON (NAVy FLIGHT DEMonstration squadRON, or, The Blue Angels).

----------

I didn't find Vernon's post too bad, actually. It's a little acronym heavy, but pretty easy to understand even if you look at the context. Certainly not as bad as some of the posts you see in aviation fora where they read like a 13 year old girl's text: OMG! INBD! IDK, my BFF Jill..?

Kyle Rodgers

Those crazy department of energy acronyms:

Society for More Coal Energy "SMOCE"
Society of Petroleum Industry Leaders "SPIL"

Key Atomic Benefits Office of Mankind "KABOOM"

Acting like none of you have ever used acronyms!!!! For future reference maybe you should also add along with having your name as a signature to include DO NOT USE acronyms also.

Vernon Howells

ROC or ROD are pretty trivial to understand anyways. What else can they mean when 500fpm appears in the same sentence. Come on.

ROC or ROD are pretty trivial to understand anyways. What else can they mean when 500fpm appears in the same sentence. Come on.

Exactly. Its all petty in my view!!!

Vernon Howells

you need to advise ATC (according to the AIP) any time ROC or ROD is going to be less than 500fpm. So that may need you to use V/S

Typically, the 737 doesn't have this issue. If you're operating close to optimum, you'll generally keep more than 500fpm if you're in LVL CHG or VNAV.

I don't think most pilots would choose to go to V/S and lose airspeed just so they didn't have to make a report.

Matt Cee