Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Autogen Settings and stuttering on the approaches

Hello,

While I'm having pretty much acceptable level of FPS (17-22) with autogen VERY DENSE for trees and DENSE for buildings on most of the approaches for heavy airports with 100% AI, the micro stuttering is killing me. Turning down Autogen is reducing stuttering, but not increase FPS. I have i7-6700k OC-ed to 4.7 with AF=14 and HT=OFF according to Steve's instructions for 4-cores CPUs. P3D is on the cores 1-2-3 and ASN and other stuff such as RC4/PATC are on Core 0. I also have 980Ti and 361.XX drivers. Two EVO SSDs. NVI FPS limiter to 30FPS with Unlimited FPS in P3D menu.

Would appreciate your suggestions 

Have you tried turning traffic to 0. I have an identical system as you with the same OC etc. I run max autogen and maintain 30 fps 99% of the time. I basically use Rob A high settings.

The only difference is I do not use AI and I run AM 116 with HT On. No other changes are made in the cfg file. I do run unlimited but with a 30hz 4K monitor so that would also be different.

I understand most people love the ai but see if that helps your stutter then you can increase it a little at a time. I've never cared for ai as they just seem to screw up a perfect approach.

Sean Green

Nope. Cannot turn off AI as it's 50% of my hobby. And yes, I realize that turning AI off will get me out of stuttering misery.  

I didn't see what graphics or AA settings you're using.  Are you using DSR?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No DSR - 2x or 4x SGSAA via NVI and 2x or 4xMSAA in P3D Menu (MSAA settings usually matche those for SGSAA). No FSAA, 16x AA, no Vsync

Again, it's not about FPS, it's about stuttering. It happens even with minimum amount of autogen. 

There's a couple of things you could try, assign more cores to addons avoiding core 1, or allowing the sim onto all four cores.

Currently with AM=14 you have presented three logical processors (LPs) to the sim. You could try allowing the sim to split into four parts and move your addons away from core 0.

...from the P3D documentation:

"By default, Prepar3D will use all available processor cores. On machines with four or more cores, it will dedicate a core to rendering tasks."

What this means is that when P3D is allowed onto four logical processors (LPs), it will split out into all of its constituent parts, leaving the first thread job at its leanest. By removing the P3D AffinityMask, it will assume an AM=15=1111 on the four core HT disabled. We need to explicitly keep addons off of core zero. Assigning addons only one LP can also cause some poor performance especially with networked addons (simconnect). Put them on cores 1 and 3.

Another thing to try would be to leave AM=14, remember this does leave the main sim job encumbered with another, but assign your addons two LPs. If your addons are only running on core zero, try allowing onto core zero and core 3.

HT enabled increases the opportunity for several configurations spreading out processes to utilise hyperthreading, but could mean dropping the overclock.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I find on my machine, i7 4770 OC to 4.4 with a 980ti that the default AM works best. I don't enter anything into the CFG, I think it is there automatically. I have one tweak in my cfg and that is the FFTF set to 0.10.

The best thing to do is reduce the AI percentage. That makes a big difference. Also, don't push the LOD too high. Don't try and be a hero and pin all the sliders to the right. Half mast to 3/4 mast is plenty nice. I get a fairly stable and smooth performance, and I even use NVI 4XSSGA with the usual in game display settings, which gives a fantastic picture.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

No way for AI reduction. That's the reason I invested so much money into good hardware. Also, I don't use MT/UT products rather my own custom AI build-up.

LOD = medium, it's 3.5 I guess. As long as remaining VAS is ok to complete he flight, I'm not messing with LOD at all. 

FFTF = 0.10. I know it reduces the stutters (not much), but generates blurries unfortunately. 

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. Just to summarize your plan. 

1. Remove AF line from P3D.cfg at all and let P3D utilizes all 4 cores. 

2. Assigned ASN to the core 0 and 3 (first and forth processors)

Correct?

With no AM the sim will want full use of core zero, so give addons cores 1 and 3 so they avoid zero.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Got it, thanks. Will run the test later tonight

No way for AI reduction. That's the reason I invested so much money into good hardware. Also, I don't use

Have you tried Traffic Optimizer?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/451048-traffic-optimizer-for-p3d/page-1

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Careful with traffic optimizer in P3D V3.2, it's been crashing a lot. It needs to be updated.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Folks,

I meant that it's my intention (a deliberate one) to keep 100% realistic AI all around the world. I carefully maintain models, schedules, ADEs etc. Some sort of hobby within the hobby :-)

I meant that it's my intention (a deliberate one) to keep 100% realistic AI all around the world. I carefully maintain models, schedules, ADEs etc. Some sort of hobby within the hobby :-)

Maybe you should be in the control tower?  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Your hardware simply can't keep up with everything you're throwing at it, made worse by the fact that FSX/P3D in general is very bad in handling AI traffic - it was never designed to handle large volumes of customised traffic.

You can't expect everything to run smoothly if you overload your system, and I would not be surprised if the "17-22" FPS you're seeing comes at the expense of other issues such as blurry ground textures etc. - not even to mention all the VAS all that traffic consumes.

Let's assume you are sitting on the runway in LHR with your "real-world" AI at 100%. It will load hundreds, if not thousands of AI aircraft in Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, City Aiport, Northolt, Southend and anything that's flying over. When you have default FSX/P3D AI you get a handful of aircraft parked somewhere, so expecting the sim to deal with thousands of them is simply not going to work.

You can either accept the fact that 100% is overkill and get a smooth sim experience, or you can stick to it and keep having stutters and problems. I understand that AI is nice, I always loved it in my FS9 days and had it all set up nicely with customised and realistic traffic in all the airports.

When I moved to P3D I tried using AI traffic in the beginning, but I have simply given up on it now and fly without it. The result is a wonderfully smooth experience with FPS rarely dropping below 30 even in a bad weather approach into LHR in the PMDG 777 with most sliders full right or 3/4 right.

It's up to you, hang on to something that will cause guaranteed issues or compromise and enjoy the sim. If you want 100% realistic traffic, go to your local airport and do some spotting ;)

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"