Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Autogen Settings and stuttering on the approaches

Pete Dowson is flying with 100% AI at EGLL, why I cannot? :-)

I made some tests yesterday with no AM and add-ones at cores 1 and 3, and found that AM=14 is still the best solution so far in terms of stuttering elimination balance. Yes, autogen put a lot of pressure on the system, so I'd rather get rid of it completely especially in heavy airports such as JFK or ORD.  

Speebird - I can easily have 30FPS at EGLL with 100% AI, UTX,GEP3D, ASN, REX, 4x SGSAA. FPS is not a problem as I mentioned above, but stuttering is. And yes, modern systems CAN handle 100% AI even in KJFK and KORD with proper AI set-up (meaning textures and models). Just stop by at AIG (Alpha India Group) forums if you want to know more.

Without blaming someone, but have you been at Pete's place and watched his rig on the fly? I guess not. Videos never really recapitulate microstutters, I can record a video inside P3D with 12-15FPS, hardly tolerable on my rig, terrific microstutters and then, I simply tell to have a 30FPS video with normalized FPS and it looks super fluent. I personally never trust videos showing fluent gameplay in FSX or P3D unless the FPS counter is visible. But even then, the microstutters are lost in the video in most of the times. So? Do you have a link proving "Pete Dowson is flying with 100% AI at EGLL"? In my case, I use UT2 and I set UT2 to 50% inside the GUI of UT2. But even with those settings, I am easily down to 20FPS or even lower at EGLL.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I made some tests yesterday with no AM and add-ones at cores 1 and 3, and found that AM=14 is still the best solution so far in terms of stuttering elimination balance.

Seems the addons are a bit too heavy and need the entire core zero. The other thing was, did you try allowing them two threads? So keeping the AM=14 and putting addons on 0, & 3 rather than just 0, which can help in some cases.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Guys, you can believe in whatever you want to believe. I'm merely sharing my experience.  

Seems the addons are a bit too heavy and need the entire core zero. The other thing was, did you try allowing them two threads? So keeping the AM=14 and putting addons on 0, & 3 rather than just 0, which can help in some cases.

Thanks Steve. As the weekend is coming, I'm going to devote a bit more time for testing.

Here is the simple example. Yesterday I flew from T2G EDDM to UK2000 EGLL with NGX. Nice weather, ASN, UTX, REX, stable 28-30FPS. Once the first trees from autogen shows up, the stuttering begins, while FPS remained the same. Very strange!!! Logically speaking, more load on the system should dial FPS down, but it didn't happen in my case. Once I killed autogen, the stuttering is gone.

To put it simple - if it were an issue with FPS alone, I would not have started this topic as then my problem is self-explanatory and the solution is clear (put sliders to the left). However, since I don't have this problem, I'm a bit confused. 

Speebird - I can easily have 30FPS at EGLL with 100% AI, UTX,GEP3D, ASN, REX, 4x SGSAA. FPS is not a problem as I mentioned above, but stuttering is. And yes, modern systems CAN handle 100% AI even in KJFK and KORD with proper AI set-up (meaning textures and models). Just stop by at AIG (Alpha India Group) forums if you want to know more.

Nobody doubts, but certainly not with all sliders to the right. Example: Pete Dowson movie from EGLL:

Well, yes. With this amount of autogen (basically none at all, check from minute 5:00 onwards) I would easily reach 30FPS on EGLL even with a lot of AI traffic. But honestly, in contrast to what I said above, you can clearly see in this videos that FPS are far below 30 and certainly not as fluent as I would like to have.

What I want to say: sometimes people disagree here in the forums because they do not talk about the same (or identical) prerequisite. So, yes, I do believe you that you can easily have 30FPS at EGLL with 100% AI traffic, but then it will probably look like in the movie I found...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Are those 4k monitors that Pete is using? Then I understand why there are blurries and no autogen at all. I have a single 2k monitor+2560 native resolution with 1024 in-sim textures. This is probable why I'm so lucky with my EGLL FPS.  

If you are using traffic add-ons, such as MyTraffic, setting AI traffic to 100% is not only a waste of resources, but highly unrealistic at US airports (the story is different if you fly somewhere in Mongolia). You have incessant traffic jams, go-arounds, etc. Setting the slider to 30% gives you a better representation of the reality and saves on resources.

I. DO. NOT. USE. MY. TRAFFIC. I. DO. NOT. USE. MY. TRAFFIC. :t0103: 

I. DO. NOT. USE. MY. TRAFFIC. I. DO. NOT. USE. MY. TRAFFIC. :t0103:

What do you use then? Default AI?

No way for AI reduction. That's the reason I invested so much money into good hardware. Also, I don't use MT/UT products rather my own custom AI build-up.

Greetings, Chris

FAIB, AIA, TFSAI, FSPAI, AIG, CDAI models. Manual set-up, manual textures' validation. It takes some time (and no money!!!), but result is worth it.

Speebird - I can easily have 30FPS at EGLL with 100% AI, UTX,GEP3D, ASN, REX, 4x SGSAA.

I highly doubt that, unless you turn half your other sliders down to the minimum.

FPS is not a problem as I mentioned above, but stuttering is.

Again, the stuttering is a result of you overloading your system. Your system is playing catch-up because you demand more from it than it can handle.

And yes, modern systems CAN handle 100% AI even in KJFK and KORD with proper AI set-up (meaning textures and models). Just stop by at AIG (Alpha India Group) forums if you want to know more.

I'm well aware of AIG and custom AI. As said before, your system TRIES to handle your massive volume of AI, hence why you see stutters. P3D is a Flight Sim, not a Traffic Sim.

As others have mentioned, if you want to continue flying with 100% you have to seriously reduce your other settings and probably set autogen to off.

You complain that your sim is not performing well but completely ignore anybody recommending to reduce your AI setting.

Just for fun, try turning your AI slider to something lower, maybe 30% or 50%. And then try turning it off. I bet you won't see any stutters and you will probably double your framerate in the process. Your expectations and the reality don't match here, so until you accept that you will continue to see problems.

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

Careful with traffic optimizer in P3D V3.2, it's been crashing a lot. It needs to be updated.

Give it a try though. I just did a quick test, went to EGLL, real time so ASN showed overcast and rain. Set airline traffic to 100%. 8 FPS on the ground and this with a GA aircraft and no UK2000 scenery. Started traffic optimizer, it killed 687 aircraft on the first run and then about 23 every few seconds. If you click "preserve airport aircraft" you retain all the aircraft at the airport. FPS on the ground went to 45-29 depending on VC or outside views. In the air FPS close to 30. Maybe it is worth trying it out. 980ti working here as well. While you may retain better FPS in the first place the AI amount will play a role when it comes to stuttering, pretty sure of that.

Hans

The reason Pete Dowson can achieve 30FPS at EGLL cranked up is because he uses an actual cockpit. There is no super detailed PMDG VC that needs to be rendered, systems logic to run in the background for calculations, or high quality external model. 

He uses a generic 737 for the air model. No 2D or VC panel associated with that aircraft, and over a network of PC's the other ones run the avionics suite, systems, CDU, etc. In that regard, the P3D machine having to just render the outside visuals really allows it to takeoff.

Ok custom AI is out of my knowledge but I assume you took the steps necessary to optimize it.

Have you tried HT on and AM 116 or equivalent?