Sign in to follow this  
downscc

Fun in the Andies - AA957 KMIA-SCEL CAT III

I added the LatinVFR SCEL Santiago Chili airport to my sim world and copied the FlightAware plan for the trip on AAL from Miami. First, the FSX-only installer from LatinVFR has to be spoofed to install into P3D but that was easy. Then an uneventful all-nighter in the B77L [American uses the B772] to the Chilean capital.

The per-descent checks revealed SCEL reporting light and variable winds, scattered 300 ft clouds and visibility 325 m, slightly below CAT II in pea soup fog that fills the valley. Now it becomes exciting as we descend below 20,000 with higher peaks to the left and a black hole ahead.  I notice at about 13000 that the terrain painted on the FO ND is bright red to the entire left and hard stuff appearing to the right. The top of the pea soup was about GS intercept at 5000 and I finally had the runway environment in sight over the approach lights at about 100 AGL.  I love this kind of flying.

ASN did a really good job of portraying the pea soup, and all was highlighted with dawn's early light cast on the huge mountain range.

I've collected quite a few LatinVFR locations, including KMIA, KSAN and MHRO. They look good and performance is excellent. I was disappointed when the SCEL installer wouldn't run without FSX in my registry, so I found an easy way to spoof it without using any virus like the migration tool.  Simply create a new text file in the P3D root folder named fsx.txt, then change the name to fsx.exe. This is a zero size file that does no harm and is easy to change to fsx.exe.OFF if necessary. Then add the spoof to the registry using Flight1 FSX Registry Repair Tool. Done and done.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan:

I have a great number of LatinVFR sceneries of Latin America (I have no association with them, I am originally from Bolivia and love to fly in the Andes)

Here are quite a few airports that LatinVFR has developed sceneries for (others have too, so it is good to check for the most appropriate for your situation), I fly FSX:

La Paz (SLLP): challenging airport at 13,300 ft (4000 mt) ASL. A good check of full up weight is required before attempting a take off!! Otherwise, your airplane becomes a very fast going bus!! :-) 

Sucre (SLSU): surrounded by mountains. Somehow, they have managed to model the big `hump` on the runway. Try a visual approach to RWY 05. And, try a take of from RWY 05. At Vr, pull the yoke slightly and with a vertical speed of zero, the runway `falls away`! :-)  I wouldn`t try anything larger than the B737-700

Cuzco SPZO: An approach inside a valley to RWY 28, with a `dogleg` just before touchdown. Also for B737`s

Lima (former SPIM now code changed to SPJC `Jose Carrasco)`: Big hub airport with pages and pages of procedures.

Tegucigalpa (MHTG): Always makes it to lists of `most dangerous` airports. Last week, with visibility of 2km, I had to give up after 3 approaches to RWY 02 and apologize to the VATSIM controller, because somebody was also hollering that supper was getting cold!!

Have fun!

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Tegucigalpa (MHTG): Always makes it to lists of `most dangerous` airports. Last week, with visibility of 2km, I had to give up after 3 approaches to RWY 02 and apologize to the VATSIM controller, because somebody was also hollering that supper was getting cold!!

Yeah, I've got the Taxi2Gate MHTG and spent a whole week late last year flying that approach over and over. What fun.  La Pax SLLP sounds interesting but the FCOM limitations for 737 list max takeoff/landing altitude at 12000 with the high altitude option, normally 8400 ft.... I see you are thinking outside the box there.

Any recommendations for Bogota SKBO?

Dan Downs KCRP

What are the "Andies"..?  Is it some sort of award ceremony for people named Andrew? :P

• Upvote 1

One of my favorite flights, and it uses freeware scenery, is a real route, SBKP-SEQM

SEQM available in the avsim library

SBKP from http://freewarescenery.com/fsx/brazil.html

UAE9914/9918 Emirates Cargo 77X flight

The flight is empty so sometimes you can get up to FL430 from SBKP flying that high over Brazil and into Quito.

What an approach into SEQM the new Quito airport.

The flight then continues on to TNCC and then EHAM if you have a full day off it's a long trip to fly all the legs but very fun.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE9914 scheduled in 13 hours from now.

- David Lee

Dan,

What was the date and UTC time of your flight?  I'd be interested in reproducing it.  Thanks.

Milton Kuser - KDFW

What was the date and UTC time of your flight? I'd be interested in reproducing it. Thanks.

The flight, AAL 957, on 20 Apr 2016 pushback was 0245z.  My saved scenario at 30 nm before TOD (FL380) is at 1020z (45 nm before EMBAL). The East sky is just starting to lighten on the horizon. I used the SIMO2A arrival and had to switch from planned 17R to 17L for the CAT III ILS.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello Dan:

The now defunct Lloyd Aereo Boliviano, flew -ADV versions of the B727 (-100's and -200's).

Their B727's were the oldest flying fleet in the world, still with the original purchasing airline.

The current airline, Boliviana de Aviacion (BoA) is now flying B737's (-400 and -700 and I think may be new -800) out of La Paz.

They must have significant weight restritions and their farthest destination likely  no more than 350nm.

Did you check the "If All Else Fails" Appendix of the FCOM?  :smile:  :smile:

It is worth the challenge.

I don't have an add on scenery for Bogota but I understand that one of the large online vendors carries a copy.

I am not sure if they can be mentioned here, so do a fast search for Bogota SKBO

Cheers

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Did you check the "If All Else Fails" Appendix of the FCOM?

I did after your prompt... the supplemental procedures have a few sections on cabin pressurization for altitudes above 6000, 8400 and 10000 that involve the high altitude options, apparently there is a high altitude landing switch included in that option.  We have no such luck with the current PMDG configurations.

I'm sure the local aviation authority and the Boeing Co have developed procedures or special equipment for La Paz, and big factor having only short stage lengths.  Also, I peeked at the terrain in google maps and see that La Paz airport sits up on the plateau West of La Paz so it is not down in that bowl.  That makes is easier to design obstruction clearance terminal procedures!  This sounds like a good weekend project:  Get a 737-700 in and out of La Paz. Great, just checked and Navigraph has the charts for SLLP.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan:

Here are charts for La Paz (SLLP)

http://www.firbolivia.org/descargas/SLLP%20Cartas.pdf

And here are charts for Sucre (SLSU)

http://www.firbolivia.org/descargas/SLSU%20Cartas.pdf

And here is the flight plan between the two:

SLLP UREMA1.UREMA UA320 SUR

Do the VOR DME 7 RWY 23 approach, but remain at 12000 returning to the SUR VOR and then do a visual 5nm procedure turn (right base) to RWY 5 of SLSU.

Then. once your knees have stopped shaking (mine always do) take off from SLSU RWY 5 and return to SLLP for (winds allowing) an ILS approach to RWY 10 (about 1 hour each way)

I promise you'll love it!

Let us know!

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Thanks.  I'll give it a go when I have a chance!

Milton Kuser - KDFW