Sign in to follow this  
Guest MTB

How could it have been so good and so bad?

The fixation on instruments is a natural result of flying PC based simulators a lot.As you mentioned your technique is excellent but you suffer from looking only at your navigation instruments and sometimes out the front window.This is exactly what you do when flying a PC based simulator (except for the few lucky souls who have a multi-computer setup with screens for views out the other windows) because that's the only view available to you (VCs just beginning to come of age and still limiting you severely).I flew once in a similar situation like you (as a pre-training intro flight). The reaction of my instructor was the same. Excellent knowledge of procedures and instruments, but way too fixated on those instruments.My instructor on that flight too only took the controls to taxi the aircraft onto the taxiway (it had been parked rather tightly) and back into its parking spot, the only times he corrected me was when I gave too much control input (being used to simulator controls which require a larger deflection than needed in that aircraft) early in the flight.For me the reason to not go on was sadly financial (the company I worked for went bust 2 months later costing me the money I'd saved up to invest in my flight training in order to pay the rent and cost of living for 5 months). Keep at it, you'll get over that tunnel syndrome. Just be sure to tell your instructor and he'll pay extra attention to it.As to breaking down after the flight, that too is normal.You had such high expectations of your proficiency and then you freeze up in full view of everyone and are feeling you're constantly doing everything wrong (which apparently you weren't or your instructor would have intervened a lot more).This is natural, and when you loose that self-doubt (combined with a willingness to learn more!) and start to become complacent, THAT is the moment to become really worried as that's the moment you'll be in danger of becoming a danger to the world around you.

Guest Mernya

I just wanted to say, to all of you with the kind words, it paid off, albeit 13 months later.I flew today and it was great! Here's my pirep.---------------Last year, for an early birthday present, my wife got me a discovery flight. For years, I've wanted to be a pilot and often promised myself to have my PPL before I was 35. Last year, I was turning 31 and she wanted to make sure I had a head start. She knew how much I wanted it and how I satisfied myself with MS Flight Simulator.It didn't go as well as I would have liked, in fact, it practically scared me out of aviation. Although I did very well, the instructor probably failed me in a few ways, and my Sim hobby left me with quite a bit of instrument fixation that had me scared of every motion of the plane. On top of that, I'd had years of anticipation building up."When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." DaVinci was right. Even that weekend I was looking up at the jets in the pattern at BWI.There was a good thread recently in which I asked about medical issues. In that thread, I had a lot of encouragement that echoed what I had gotten on AvSim a year ago, primarily, to get back into the cockpit. Thursday was my 32nd birthday, so I made an appointment to do just that.Today, I flew. Today, I was ready. Today, I enjoyed myself. Today, I knew that not only did I want to be a pilot, I could be one.I had my appointment for 10 am with Capitol Air Service out of Tipton (KFME) in Odenton, MD. It was a lot more convenient than Martin State, where I flew last year. I had been watching the weather all week and it turned out perfect. I arrived a little early and waited for my CFI. Tony showed up, we talked. I explained to him this was Discovery, the sequel, and what I think went wrong last year to bother me. He filed our ADIZ request and we had to wait 35 minutes (personal record for Tony) for our transponder code. We wouldn't get that until after we preflighted.So he preflighted our C-172S (N194SP), explaining to me some of the less obvious features of the plane (lightning dispersal points) since I already knew the main things. Once we got our transponder code and started up, he let me taxi to the area to do the run up. He took the plane to the runway, explaining to me the basics of takeoff and that when we hit our rotation speed, to pull back on the yoke.We were airborne!At first, he told me to establish a vertical speed of 500, but then changed his mind. He must have remembered what I said about the instruments, so he told me, "Never mind, let's keep your eyes out of the cockpit for now." He had me match the position of the nose to the horizon and we climbed. Once high enough and far enough from the runway, we did a climbing turn to the southeast towards Annapolis. We leveled out at 1200' and chitchatted about towers/obstructions and other aspects of power and attitude. He showed me the trim wheel and explained its application. I already knew it from the simulator, but my previous discovery flight CFI said nothing about it. And as all of you know, feeling the plane and control surfaces is a lot different than desktop flying.He gave me a heading for the moment, but once we had some visual targets to aim for, he had me go for them. With the plane in trim, maintaining altitude was easy. We cruised towards the South River. In the air, I intercepted 97 South and Route 50 East for visual aid. I flew over the Annapolis Mall and then out over the bay. We increased our altitude to 2000' feet, again, ignoring the VSI or AI and concentrating on the look of outside. Once at altitude, we saw sailing ships in a race or something, a naval vessel south of the Bay Bridge, and a tanker. Tony had me do some left and right coordinated turns, and then had me do a steep turn. All in all, he was pleased and complimentary. we chatted casually about the view, sailing, and the weather.Eventually, my time was used up and it was time to go back. We flew towards the Severn River, over old Annapolis and the Naval Academy and its stadium. We reduced power to drop our altitude and trimmed for the power. I took a picture as we approached Annapolis, about the only time I didn't have control of the plane. A great thing about the CFI was he would demonstrate action and response by having me do it. He had me deflect the rudder to see what it did to the plane (yaw and then roll), we did trim, power, attitude... all the sorts of things that I should have had done last year.He gave me a course to hold and then once we had some visual aids (NSA building, the airfield and some power lines) he had me back to visual only. He explained to me the pattern altitude, entering from a 45 on the downwind, and that we would be landing on 28. Before we took off, he said he would be the one entering us into the pattern, but I suppose I displayed enough abilities that he let me do it (with his instruction, of course).We entered the pattern, reduced power, trimmed. He had me turn base and final, using the compass bugs for assistance, and then I lined up the runway. At the end of our final approach, he took the plane for the flare and brought us down, explaining to me things as we went. Once off the runway, he had me taxi back.I was exhilarated, totally different than last year. We chatted in the FBO a bit about ground school and his availability. He filled out my log book and even gave me credit for the landing, with .7 hours on top of my .5.What was different? Well, last year, I wasn't too communicative because of nerves. This year, I was up front with my CFI and he made the flight work in such a way to break myself of the habits that scared me. He was also a better instructor. Yes, I know it was only one flight, but last year, I was told what to do and comparatively, didn't get instruction, per se. This guy, explained, had me demonstrate (or in the case of landing, he did it, although I was allowed to keep my hands on the yoke) the action and response. Weather was comparable, although the view this time was better (more familiar areas, fall foliage). I didn't have my wife in the plane (for better or worse, I really do want her to see what her support for me does for me). I had a better idea of how the plane would feel, too.Suffice to say, I don't know how or when, but now I know that not only do I want to be a pilot, I'm pretty sure I -can- be a pilot. Thanks for reading and being a great community.

Glad to hear that you're pushing forward and have everything solved.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Great news! Sounds like a little time off, an up-front and honest approach, and an instructor that recognized and responded to your specific needs filled the bill. Keep that frame of mind and build on each success, and you will certainly attain that PPL. Congratulations again!Leon

Your response almost sounds verbatim like mine at first(and I also don't like heights or rollercoasters (execpt the ones you mention)).I started simming in 1981 and in 1989 my wife gave me a birthday present of a flight lesson. I also had the same feelings you mention-and also felt a little woozy after the experience.My initial feeling was almost disapointment-the plane I flew was run down, the feelings were not what I expected, the environment was horribly noisy (headphones were a new thing) etc... I stuck with it despite my apprehensions-and probably the first 12 hours I still felt woozy after every lesson. I found myself afraid about a lot of it-yet the facination, the want to not quit, and the highs I experienced kept me going.Now 840 hours later with a commercial, instrument , multi rating I can tell you there is nothing else that will give you the satisfaction, natural highs, and unique experiences that flying will bring you. You will get over those first feelings-I know first hand because I did. I also think you will probably be a safer pilot having those concerns-after all Chuck Yeager said he always had some fear when he flew.I would say-try it again a few times-you will probably find your initial negative feelings will subside, and the excitement and thrills will over take your initial feelings. I remember telling my instructor of my feelings and him telling me he felt the same way for the first 200 hours! I don't think it is unique to feel that way-but give it another try-perhaps this is just an indication that eventually you will come 180 degrees the other way..Good luck!GeofThe main thing is-what you felt/experienced is not strangehttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest christianholmes

Well, I don't have much to add since everybody has said it (and better than me). But, I am only at about 9 hours, and yes- it is still overwhelming, scary, and I am just really breaking out of the "tunnel vision". My first hands on landing was during quite bumpy turbulence, and a good gust rolled me about 20 degrees left bank and I was kind of scared (ok- kind of is lying- I had to check my pants afterwards). My instructor, who has about 2000 hours, didn't flinch, so I just keep telling myself I will get better at it. I was so worried about making coordinated turns until I realized during the approach- forget it- keep the wings as level as possible, and use the rudder for small corrections. If you have to, you can bang the rudder like a Tijuana hooker on an aircraft carrier.That is the only thing I can say at this point: I really got over the "oh my god- I touched the rudder, PLEASE DON'T SPIN!!!" freakout syndrome when we did slips for the first time. That is when I realized you can really "man handle" (or person-handle would be the PC term) the airplane and it won't just go spinning out of control. I would tell the instructor to put off stalls until you are more comfortable. Seriously- tell the instructor to like to try some slips- this is usually flying along a landmark such as a highway, and dipping the wing and put in opposite rudder which will allow you to keep the nose down the centerline in a crosswind. You'll see that the aiplane can really be banged back and forth and you not going to send it out of control. You will eventually practice a "cross control" stall that will show how unlikely it is that you could stall the airplane and get it trouble doing it. It is actually easy to recover from, and would take some work to get yourself into.Flying is a freaky feeling, and I've been in small planes alot. It's different when YOU'RE in control- Even though I am advancing very quickly (4-5 hours ahead of my fellow students) I am in NO HURRY to solo. I hope to be at least 25 hours in before he gets out. Even if he tells me I'm ready sooner, I'm going to say no thanks.The level of information overload is getting better too. I just ask him to write down for me any maneuvers so I can study them later, and be able to concentrate on flying, and not memorizing when I'm in the plane.I screwed up a radio call the other day and felt stupid, and then I thought OH SORRY- What's going to happen? Do you really think the tower guys are laughing? I'm sure they know how friggin hard this is at first. Even if they did laugh, I'd probably laugh with them- we're all human. Nobody is a born pilot no matter how it seems.BTW, I'm 33, so I think the young kids with the "invincible" attitude who start flying younger overcome it much easier.Good luck!

Guest Mernya

Thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it and I think it shows the character of the community.Actually, I have a flight lesson tomorrow at KFME! I'm not giving up and after the last lesson in November, I think the stuff I experienced last year was just a combination of factors.Unfortunately, I'm interviewing for a job in Pasadena, CA on Monday, so there is a strong likelihood I'll be moving to SoCal. I'll have to find a flight school and instructor all over again. Oh well, C'est la vie.

Guest beana51

Chuck Yeager used to throw up when first starting to fly!A radical cure may be a (1) skydiving experience.I not kidding,I have seen that work. Many get the shakes on a ladder.And yet those bridge painters eat their lunch way up there.The Mohawk Indians are famous for their high altitude steel Assembly. Every one has some kind of hang up.Most don't admit.Your on the rite track however,you know the enemy,now attack it,and kill it. Your a brave man! "Al the kings horses,and all the kings men will not be able to help you.Ya gotta do it yourself.Lighten up,grab a "holt"yourself,think not of the action but of the glories result which WILL happen.You WILL, then walk this earth, with your eyes forever, turned upward.. There is a lot of aviators out there,join them VIN

This thread is getting a personal stickie - I'm bookmarking it AND printing it out to put into my stale PPL training notebook I had back in 1993. I was given as a H.S. grad gift full flight lessons. Due to me getting a little airsick and generally feeling out of place in the sky, I stopped taking the lessons (and my parents effectively revoked my gift. Can't blame them!) Reading the story about being tense and uncomfortable in the air has given me great perspective in my own quest to fly. ESPECIALLY after noticing the year-old dates on the posts and the modern day update provided by Leon, I have even MORE hope that when the time is right (financially), I'll be back in the skies earning the coveted piece of paper, denoting my freedom in the air! THANK YOU ALL for the stories and words. Even though they were never meant for me, they have spoken as if they were. -Greg