Sign in to follow this  
r_stopnicki

So, I built my own!

Wowwww!!!!!!

That is fantastic!!!

The 767 left many many years ago, as I migrated to FSX.

It was a looong wait for the 777 before I could do a transoceanic without "hopping" around.

And Steve, may I be so presumptuous as to suggest (wink, nudge, prod) that I fly the NGX, particularly the 736 all the time?

;-)

Thank you!

Roberto

Hey Roberto,

I only have the 800/900 and not the 600/700 series, and have not painted the 737 but for one -800 (a private venture for a friend).  However stranger things have happened if I have the time and resources.  :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

:smile:  :smile:

I remember the surprises, Steve.

Oh Look!! I also have the -800 -900  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:

What a coincidence!!

Cheers!

Roberto

(I feel excited like a child ... that has to be a good sign!)

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

24lmvzo.jpg

So there it is (Thank you very much Rich!!) in the post above

Roberto

You're not a master builder???  Holy cow, it's magnificent.  There's no WAY I could build something so nice looking.  Beautiful job!  Really beautiful job.  I used to build models and not one ever came out as nice.  Did you use an airbrush?  How long did it take you?  What kit was it?

Best regards.

Jack Sawyer

Hello Jack:

Thank you for the nice comments. If it was anything, building this kit was a lot of fun, particularly during dreary winter days.

It is an Heller-Humbrol 1/72 Douglas DC-6B Super-Cloudmaster plastic kit.

It took between 3 and 4 months to fully finish. The nose gear broke three times :-) :-)

Research for the paint scheme was also a lot of fun. As I had mentioned, I found many images on the internet, that helped me with some of the details (like the black paint of the wings by the engines, which are not the same on top and on bottom). Decals were made from "photoshoping" screen captures, reducing them to the right scale (also a lot of fun to do) and printing them onto decal paper on my laser printer.

I had a "catastrophic emergency", when lifting the masking for the black "cheat" line. To my horror, masking tape, paint and primer lifted right off the surface!!!

As can be seen in the model, there is a lot of masking needed to separate the white, from the sky blue, from the black, from the gray ... jeeeez guys!!

The very helpful owner of the hobby store I frequent here in Toronto (Dave at Hornet Hobbies) recommended a different primer and that made the whole difference (after carefully sanding down the original primer).

I airbrush (other than small parts that I brush paint) using principally Vallejo Acrilyc paints. I navigated to them because they leave basically no smell and in winter, inside an apartment like ours, it is a must.

I build and paint principally commercial aircraft, with a few exceptions. Currently on the bench, an A-4N Skyhawk in the Israeli Air Force colors, and "on deck", a B17G, that will be converted to one of  Lloyd Aereo Boliviano. Historical tidbit: ten of them, acquired directly from the USAF, flew with that airline in the 50's.

Of interest, is the black stand of the PMDG DC6. It was build for me by a good friend,who has a 3D printer!!!

What will they think of next??

Many regards,

Roberto

• Upvote 1

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Thank you for the details Roberto. That was very interesting. I used to (a whle ago) do model railroading but could never get good results. I too used to use airbrushes with the Vallejo paints. Still, it shows the level of craftsmanship that went into your model. Very nice work. And the 3D printed stand I think is the wave of the furure. Someday that entire model will probably be printed in 3D. Amazing technology. But there's nothing like hands on like you did. It sounds very painstaking and it shows. Wonderful job. I wish I could do what you have done.

Jack Sawyer

Hey Roberto,

I only have the 800/900 and not the 600/700 series, and have not painted the 737 but for one -800 (a private venture for a friend).  However stranger things have happened if I have the time and resources.  :wink:

Hey Robert,

When I saw you reply to my post in the 747 topic...I suddenly remembered that I owe you a LAB 737.  :shok:  (Attributing it to old age, hehe)

Sorry for letting her collect dust back in the paint hangar, I've been painting a few A320s.

I got involved in another project, and scrapped the 777 as you requested the 737 instead.  Now....I only have the -800 like I mentioned so I this is all I can paint at the moment.  Here is a preview in the model viewer.

JIy9z6.jpg

I still have some work to do, but I hope to have her done by tomorrow.  I'll send you a link via PM to the files on dropbox.

Let me know how she looks so far.  I think the LAB logo on the tail is a bit too big, but I'll wait for your opinion before I change it. 

Also, do you think LAB would have put the logo on the winglets (and/or painted them blue, gray, etc.?  Let me know how you would have done it and I'll paint them however you decide).

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hello Steve:

You might have aged, but you certainly have not lost your touch.

It looks perfect. I would not change a thing.

The logo (in blue, of course) on the winglets looks like a natural to me!!

Thanks for the effort, it is much appreciated.

Roberto

PS: Another good soul, Jorge Rojas, in Chile, took pity of my whinning and nagging in the X-Plane forum, and painted the old LAB for the DC-6. She is now slowly plying the skies of the Andes mountains, gasping for air in the rarified 8000+ ASL airports and looking for `mountain passes` below FL200. Just like in the `old days`.

117yzqh.jpg

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Hello Steve:

You might have aged, but you certainly have not lost your touch.

It looks perfect. I would not change a thing.

The logo (in blue, of course) on the winglets looks like a natural to me!!

Thanks for the effort, it is much appreciated.

Roberto

PS: Another good soul, Jorge Rojas, in Chile, took pity of my whinning and nagging in the X-Plane forum, and painted the old LAB for the DC-6. She is now slowly plying the skies of the Andes mountains, gasping for air in the rarified 8000+ ASL airports and looking for `mountain passes` below FL200. Just like in the `old days`.

OK, I'll get the blue logos on the winglets, finish up the belly texture and get her to you.

Is there a specific registration you'd like on her?  I found an old pic of a 737-300 LAB flew and used that as an interim. 

The DC-6 looks great!  If I could ever get into old heavy metal I'd surely pick up her up, but I don't think that'll happen as I never really had an interest in it.

Hehe, "whinning and nagging"....that is exactly how I got into painting.   I did much the same thing waaaaay back when I wanted an Austrian paint for the then FFG MD-80.  The main painter for the group got tired of me "asking" and said why don't you try painting it yourself?  He gave me a few pointers, and before you knew it, I joined SGA, and painted more than I flew, hehe.

I really enjoy painting requests for folks I've gotten to know over the years, especially those who've also contributed to our hobby.  Speaking of which, you don't have the FSL A320 do you?  That is the plane I'm currently involved with (started out only painting the ones I wanted to fly... then before I knew it I had painted over 20, LOL).

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hello again:

Getting ready for the first snow here in Toronto! Where did the summer go?

As your paint will be a "fictional" we might as well go with a "fictional registration". How about CP-7370?

I tried Airbuses, but was never able to intuitively learn their FMC's as I did the Boeings. Maybe a left vs right brain thing. If I left an Airbus for a couple of weeks, I had to re-learn the programming all over. So, I dropped them altogether.

You know that I will whine and nag when the 747 is relelased, right?

I have my eyes on an El Al cargo. It shouldn't be too difficult, it is all white white with some lettering for the logo.

And how about those very colorful Aerosur "El Torisimo" (CP-2525) or "Super Torisimo" (CP-2603)? passenger ones, but really nice liveries! Lots of photos on airliners.net (unfortunately can't show them here, as per the forum's policies).

And when the DC-6 is released for FSX ...... "I'll be back" .... for that LAB.

But I understand your suggestion and maybe it is time to stop whinning and giving livery painting a try.

Where should I start?

Keep well!

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Her Roberto, she is done and on her way to you.  A PM with the link coming shortly.

Here she is rocketing out of La Paz  :smile:

GQWZIn.jpg

1evnJk.jpg

I hope you enjoy flying her, she's a little faster than your other PMDG LAB, hehe

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi Steve, arrived safely and already acclimatizing to the altitude (13300 ft ASL) of La Paz SLLP.

She is most welcome!!

Thanks for the great effort.

Many regards

Roberto

10h12zs.jpg

• Upvote 1

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Hi Steve, arrived safely and already acclimatizing to the altitude (13300 ft ASL) of La Paz SLLP.

She is most welcome!!

Thanks for the great effort.

Many regards

Roberto

You're welcome!

Good to see her in service so soon!   :smile: 

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg