Sign in to follow this  
ark

XML IF Statement Help Needed

I am new to XML and am trying to modify some existng XML code to fix a bug that sometimes results in the display of invalid wind headings. The purpose of the first 3 lines below is to calculate magnetic wind direction from true wind direction. If subtracting the magnetic variation from the true wind heading produces a negative result, 360 is added in line 2, and conversely, if the result of subtracting the variation is greater than 360, 360 is subtracted in line 3. Seems simple enough in concept. However, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me why the two if statements in lines 1 and 2 that correct for invalid wind headings don't work before I pull out the last two hairs I have left on my head!

The remaining code below then either displays the wind direction in degrees or in general headings like N, NE, W, etc depending on the value of DirMode. That part works, probably because I didn't write it (except for using the AdjDir Lvar from the first 3 lines).

Thanks much,

Al

<GaugeString>

%((A:AMBIENT WIND DIRECTION,degrees) (A:MAGVAR,degrees) - (>L:AdjDir,degrees))

%((L:AdjDir,degrees) 0 < if{(L:AdjDir,degrees) 360 + (>L:AdjDir,degrees)})

%((L:AdjDir,degrees) 360 > if{(L:AdjDir,degrees) 360 - (>L:AdjDir,degrees)})

%((L:DirMode,bool) 1 == )

%{if}

%((L:AdjDir,degrees) near)%!03d!

%{else}

%((L:AdjDir,degrees) 22.5 + 45 / int) %{case} %{:0} N%{:1}NE%{:2} E%{:3}SE%{:4} S%{:5}SW%{:6} W%{:7}NW%{:8} N%{end}

%{end}

</GaugeString>

I'm not an expert, but try replacing lines 1-3 with:

%((A:AMBIENT WIND DIRECTION,degrees) (A:MAGVAR,degrees) - dnor (>L:AdjDir,degrees))

dnor takes care of normalizing the degrees value to between 0 and 360

Barry Friedman

Barry -- that worked, thank you very very much!! I have been fighting with this for days.

Now, just for my XML education, I hope someone can explain why my original 3 lines of code did not work.

Best,

Al

Can anyone help me understand why the IF statements in lines 2 and 3 in the <GaugeString> code segment in post#1 above don't work?  I assume there is a syntax error but I can't figure out what it is.

Thx,

Al

There is always a space after the opening {  and a space before the closing  }

^                                                                     ^

There is always a space after the opening {  and a space before the closing  }

Shoot, I didn't know that -- thanks very much!

Al

There is always a space after the opening {  and a space before the closing  }.

Just to close the loop, I've confirmed the code works fine if the missing spaces are added to the if{ } as tedcook suggested.

Thx again for the help.

Al