Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

p3d and steam 980 and 980ti running too hot.. help

I just noticed that my 980ti is running in the high 70's with p3d v3. med settings

I have a 980 and a 980ti card

If i run either steam and /or p3d on med setting the cards start to run really hot.

windows 10 x64

I have been at this for years and I for some reason I'm having this problem now.

I have the most current drivers

I'm curious as to what others are experience with respect to the issue

I have 2 monitors on the 980TI and one on the 980

My temps are mid 70's

fans running very loud onthe cards

any thoughts.

never had temps this high

any thoughts..

Peter

Hello

I don't know your cards brands so take caution.

I got an EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ 6 GB and temps in the low mid 70's are acceptable/in range according to this sites: TechPowerUp & Heavy very quiet, hardly hear the fans. Runs 3 monitors, sometimes 4.

As for the loud fans:

You might need to check your case and all fans for dust & obstructions.

I routinely check/clean/dust-off all fans, liquid-cooler, psu and occasionally reseat components, inc.the video card. (I wear an anti-static band)

Cheers.

hmm?? good point..  ill check the dust and reseat them....

the 980ti is msi

the 980 is asus

I run two monitors on the ti

one on the 980

at idle ( meaning no program basically working )  the 980ti msi is 49c

the 980 is 48c

p3d really ramp it up quickly

Peter

I tried cleaning things up but honestly the temps are still pretty high...Maybe it has always been like this and i just did not notice in the past ... Maybe with fsx-se and p3d v3 the temps will be in the 70's , 

any other thoughts and experience would be appreciated. 

Pete

Are all of your case fans running normally? Make sure that you haven't accidentally selected a low fan speed or a new fan profile in the BIOS. If the ambient temperature in the case is high then your graphics card fans will struggle to keep the temperature down. I have a 970 rather than a 980/ti but your idle temps seem a little high to me - mine idles at about 33 degrees with the fan off. You say that the fans are running very loud on the cards - are they all running? Do you have any monitoring software like MSI Afterburner to check them in real time? Afterburner also allows you to adjust the GPU fan profiles for more or less cooling/noise which may help.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Mid 70's isn't a huge deal under load, so don't panic. I believe 92 is the max temp. What about other software other than the sim, what do games run at?

P3D does stress the graphics card more.

Mid 70's isn't uncommon. Having said that, I have no experience of MSI cards in regard to how good the cooling is. I prefer EVGA cards and the ACX 2.0 cooler

70's - bah that's nothing for video cards... My 970 will go into the 80's if I'm playing battlefield for a while

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Same here, MSI 980ti, easily at 80 under full load. Bad airflow in a small case though so I think it could run cooler. Also very much influenced by the CPU cooler air stream in this case, I can get both CPU and GPU much cooler if I set down settings generally.

Hans

Here is what i did to test things based on some of your ideas.

I removed both the 980 and 980 ti cards and thoroughly cleaned the and the slot

then reseated them. they appears clean to me and very little dust in the case

I have three monitors 

i put two on the 980ti and one on the 980 ( hdmi)

I check the bios fan profile

My cpu has a corsair h link so it would not make noise

Checked  to ensure that all fans on the cards were working

im running p3d-v3 at a little more than mid range graphic specs

but pretty high rez. ( test was with a non stock 182t from carenado)

I removed the latest nvidia driver and went back one version. 

I have msi afterburner.  Now flying mid level specs on p3d and fsx-se i have temps pretty solidly in the in th high 70's with appears manageable..

Maybe one of  you may be able to determine why things were so loud but i played with way too many variables to really put my finger on one culprit..

I think given the temps im seeing that i should be ok 

I was trying to avoid an expensive meltdown.

Thanks for the ideas. 

Pete :smile:

I have the Asus Strix 908ti and I manually set my fans when I game to keep everything in the 50's. Its loud as hell though. 

• Upvote 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom