I posted this earlier today over at On The Glideslope, but thought it might be useful in the archives here, too.

BFG

If you have Saitek panels that don't seem to be working correctly, don't download new drivers. Make sure there's enough power to the hub. If you have Saitek FIPs that aren't loading, don't mess with SPAD or SPAD.neXt. Make sure they're not all plugged into the same hub. If you have a Saitek yoke that's not registering, make sure it's in a USB 2.0 hub. If you have a Saitek radio panel that's dropped out for some reason, run turn the power management off on the USB hub.

Basically, if your Saitek stuff isn't working right, the first stop should be checking the hub. I was reminded of this last weekend when, for no apparent reason, my Saitek gear stopped working reliably. This included, interestingly, repeated crashing of the Direct Output .dll file while running the sim. I turned off power management. I loaded SPAD. I unloaded SPAD. I reinstalled all the Saitek drivers. I plugged everything into different ports on the hubs. I pulled my hair out.

Then I remembered that I had unplugged all the USB devices and hubs from the PC when I had updated the BIOS the day before. One of those powered hubs I had plugged back into the one USB 3.1 port on the PC. They didn't like each other. I plugged that powered hub back into a 3.0 port, and everything worked fine.

I currently have 17 USB devices running on the sim PC. These are finicky devices, and they require a lot of power. They also are a bit dated, and not all were designed with USB 3.0 (and definitely 3.1) in mind. So if you are using Saitek gear, here are my guidelines for them running as seamlessly as possible from a USB perspective. Each lesson was learned the hard way:

1. Plug your Saitek yoke and pedals into USB 2.0 ports if possible. They are most reliable this way.
  2. Use ONLY powered hubs if you plan to use external expansion hubs.
  3. MAKE CERTAIN there is enough power on the powered hub to provide at least 500 milliamps to each device plugged into it. If you plan to have four devices plugged into the hub, get a hub that's a least a 2 amp hub. The more power the better. If it's a 1.5 amp hub, plug no more than three devices into it. THIS RULE IS VERY IMPORTANT.
  4. It's OK to use the Cessna  or Pro Yokes as hubs, but make sure that they, too, are powered. Plug no more than two (or maybe three) devices into each, as the yoke itself also needs power.
  5. Avoid 3.1 USB ports of possible. They don't play nice with Saitek gear in my experience. Plug your Bluetooth USB keyboard dongle (or some such thing) into that instead.
  6. Spread your Saitek Flight Information Panels across different hubs. They definitely draw their full allotment of 500 milliamps. Putting more than one on any hub is pushing your luck.
  7. Go into the PC's device settings, right click on each USB hub listed, select properties, and if there is a "Power Management" tab, click it and turn power management OFF.
  8. Just to be sure, download and occasionally run this free power management utility as well.

When I troubleshoot Saitek gear, I now go in this order:

1. Make sure the power packs for the hubs are actually plugged in tight on both ends. Those plugs can get loose.
  2. Make sure you have no more than three or four devices on each hub.
  3. Make sure you haven't switched a hub to a 3.1 port somewhere along the way.
  4. Run the power management utility and check the power management settings.
  5. Then start thinking drivers and other stuff ...

But first, check those USB hubs. That's where the problem probably sits.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Results from the suggestions above may or may not yield better results for those having issues with Saitek devices.  The Avsim topic I point to below may have additional/other suggestions from Richard Sennett that might work instead.  Most noticeably the USB Enhanced Power Manager Disabler utilitiy referenced in the topic.  

I can report that for my own system the updated Saitek drivers (November 2015 or later), an advanced power management disabler utility, and the Control Panel /Device Manager changes referenced in Richard Sennett's well written tutorial works wonders.  His steps are the same steps that I undertook back in January.  Before that, even powering the built-in USB hub in my Cessna Pro Flight Yoke made no difference, and I had issues when attempting to use a separate USB 3.0 powered hub with Saitek devices.  After performing the steps as described by Richard  I have left the Saitek Yoke's power supply in my closet and I no longer have any issue with plugging my Saitek devices into that same USB 3.0 hub.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/487313-spad-or-saitek-plugins/page-2#entry3409396

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks to both of you, and to Richard.

I've been trying to find the time to write a formal guide for USB problems, but with all the Beta and Dev work it's not been possible and now I don't need to!  Many thanks!

All great suggestions.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Results from the suggestions above may or may not yield better results for those having issues with Saitek devices.  The Avsim topic I point to below may have additional/other suggestions from Richard Sennett that might work instead.  Most noticeably the USB Enhanced Power Manager Disabler utilitiy referenced in the topic.  

I can report that for my own system the updated Saitek drivers (November 2015 or later), an advanced power management disabler utility, and the Control Panel /Device Manager changes referenced in Richard Sennett's well written tutorial works wonders.  His steps are the same steps that I undertook back in January.  Before that, even powering the built-in USB hub in my Cessna Pro Flight Yoke made no difference, and I had issues when attempting to use a separate USB 3.0 powered hub with Saitek devices.  After performing the steps as described by Richard  I have left the Saitek Yoke's power supply in my closet and I no longer have any issue with plugging my Saitek devices into that same USB 3.0 hub.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/487313-spad-or-saitek-plugins/page-2#entry3409396

Could not agree more on the utility. Note that I link directly to that utility in point 8 in the main list, and suggest it again in point 4 in the troubleshooting list.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

I'm having a weird issue woth a hib I bought recently. The power led of the have is now always off...

I have pedals to the yoke, and yoke to thub, and also a wireless adapter for xbox one controllers to the hub. Everything works, so I know the hub is working, and also there does seem to be power, because if I disconnect the hub's power cable I will hear the windows disconnect sound. But the led just does not turn on anymore...

I'm having a weird issue woth a hib I bought recently. The power led of the have is now always off...

I have pedals to the yoke, and yoke to thub, and also a wireless adapter for xbox one controllers to the hub. Everything works, so I know the hub is working, and also there does seem to be power, because if I disconnect the hub's power cable I will hear the windows disconnect sound. But the led just does not turn on anymore...

You likely need to identify the system location (address) of the hub and either use Control Panel/Device Manager to disable Power Management or make an edit to the Windows Registry to disable Windows Advanced Power Management for that specific hub. The best way to identify the hub is to open Control Panel, Device Manager. Then expand Human Interface Devices (HID), then plug in the USB cable for the hub, see what additional item appears in the list, then unplug to verify. Then check that device's properties and disable Power Management if it is available. Otherwise you may need help to identify the hub in the Windows Registry so you can edit its registry values.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

i see this is an old topic, but one that Ive found helpful for my planning

we are putting together 10 sims at school using all of the Saitek controllers and 9 FIPs per sims Im now not sure if this is going to be as easy as it seems.

Do any of you have suggestions for the USB hub setup for 15 USB device.

Cheers

5 hours ago, anzacjack said:

we are putting together 10 sims at school using all of the Saitek controllers and 9 FIPs per sims Im now not sure if this is going to be as easy as it seems.

Do any of you have suggestions for the USB hub setup for 15 USB device.

You are really buying ninety FIPs?! This is an unbelievably expensive way to achieve what you are doing, not to mention the various kinds of USB hell you are asking for. You could do so much better with a second screen and a copy of Air Manager for each sim.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro